Linux Dedi

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

YrDaDy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Linux Dedi

Post by YrDaDy »

Was thinking about setting up a dedi server for D3. My server runs CentOS with only the server shell. (I do everything through SSH)

Does anyone know how or if it's really possible to setup a stable / fast dedi with D3 on this setup?

If so, please enlight. :D
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I don't think the linux dedicated server (was there even one?) even worked correctly. There must be a reason I set up a win 2000 box for my D3 dedicated server, think the linux one was very buggy.
Why doesn't it work?
D.Cent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D.Cent »

Sure that works.

You must only run servers which use a correct checksum (such as Stadium, Halcyon, ...).

Test it out here: d3://85.25.136.157:2098

EDIT: When 1.5 comes out, there won't be any disadvantages.
YrDaDy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by YrDaDy »

D.Cent wrote:Sure that works.

You must only run servers which use a correct checksum (such as Stadium, Halcyon, ...).

Test it out here: d3://85.25.136.157:2098

EDIT: When 1.5 comes out, there won't be any disadvantages.
Care to elaborate on how to go about setting one up?
D.Cent
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D.Cent »

Depends on what system the server is running (e.g. SuSE 10.2 or Debian Lenny or ...) - so please tell me.

The point is, that the original Outrage Linux server isn't working on newer systems (always gets a reliable buffer overrun).

Here's how you can check it:

1.) Download http://descent3.com/files/linux/descent ... 386.tar.gz to your server and unpack it
2.) Go into the descent3-directory and put the d3.hog in there
3.) Edit the Dedicated.cfg (don't forget to upload the mission)
4.) Run the server with ./descent3 -dedicated Dedicated.cfg -useport 2098
5.) Try connecting to the server from your local machine, using serverip:2098. If you can't connect because the client hangs on \"Receiving data\", then you need a workaround (using Loki's executables) which I will post later since this is a bit more complicated.
YrDaDy
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by YrDaDy »

D.Cent wrote:Depends on what system the server is running (e.g. SuSE 10.2 or Debian Lenny or ...) - so please tell me.

The point is, that the original Outrage Linux server isn't working on newer systems (always gets a reliable buffer overrun).

Here's how you can check it:

1.) Download http://descent3.com/files/linux/descent ... 386.tar.gz to your server and unpack it
2.) Go into the descent3-directory and put the d3.hog in there
3.) Edit the Dedicated.cfg (don't forget to upload the mission)
4.) Run the server with ./descent3 -dedicated Dedicated.cfg -useport 2098
5.) Try connecting to the server from your local machine, using serverip:2098. If you can't connect because the client hangs on "Receiving data", then you need a workaround (using Loki's executables) which I will post later since this is a bit more complicated.
Thanks for the info. The server is running on CentOS (stated that in my first post).

I'll give this stuff a try soon and see how it goes. :D