Lags in multiplayer Descent 3

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Lags in multiplayer Descent 3

Post by sigma »

LOL) Today I was really genuinely surprised. I saw lags at this level earlier, but such lags still I didn't see never. My Phoenix gone beyond of textures. No one knows why this might be?

Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Lags in multiplayer Descent 3

Post by Foil »

There are known gaps (openings) in the shell of Subway Dancer. What happened is that you flew (accidentally?) out of the level. This isn't allowed by the Anti-Cheat system on most servers, so it automatically kicked you from the game.

The reason for the graphical glitches is that the game does not render anything outside the shell, so you get weird effects.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Subway Dancer has holes in the level shell -- small "cracks" you can get outside the level through. This is considered a bad thing and you were kicked for it. Best way to deal w/ it is to learn where the cracks are and avoid them.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I play at this level for a long time, and everything was as usual. Apparently, it's really evident shortcomings of this level in such a strange way. By the way only at this level often freezes constantly Vortex(
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

I was able to photograph this bug on the video.The most interesting that specially I there can't fail yet, only casually it turns out. :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

well.. if the builder had used the editor correctly, they would have known about the holes and fixed them. I'm surprised they were able to compile it. Must not have been very large.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

The bugs in Subway Dancer have been fixed by the original author Atan 11 years ago by the release of Version 1.1

http://www.descent3fischlein.de/levels/ ... .php?id=91

BTW / OT : The readme.txt file contains the copyright information, too :
-----------------------------------------------
Legal Information:

Subway Dancer and all it's accompanying file(s) are copyright (c) 2002 (LL)ATAN.
Subway Dancer may be distributed freely if left in it's original form with all accompanying
file(s), including this text file, intact and in it's original .zip file.
Subway Dancer must /NOT/ be modified without prior written consent from (LL)ATAN.
The server hosting that subway dancer mission you were playing in was obviously not using the latest version by the original author.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks Checkor!

I know that sounded harsh, but when you're building large levels it behooves the author to regularly check the shell integrity. Otherwise you're in for a lot of clean up at the end of the project. It's kinda like waiting to texture all at once at the end of a build and then also finding you have faces that need to be split.

To Atan's credit though, that was a long time ago and a lot of us were still getting our heads wrapped around the editor.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

You're completely right in all points, duper.
(LL)Atan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by (LL)Atan »

Sorry for digging this out after a long time, but ok, let's living in the past a little.
Some comments here made me smile and needs an answer.
It was said before, that problem is known since the level came out and was played as wild.
As soon as I got the info I made a new version. But I had to search what's wrong first.
That time this problem was not findable by the Descent3 level editor routines, and for sure Duper, I used them :)
As I got the idea what's wrong I digged me into the Editor source I found out that some limits were not set good enough and so I changed some things inside the editor.
Then I checked a lot of different levels from other designers and I looked into the stock levels too. And I saw what?
Yes, a lot of levels outside had the same problem too.
So what do you think was the idea behind to impove Descent 3 Edit ? Where all the new check routines came from?
So please don't compare todays options with that ones we had that time.
But you are right with one point, by the todays expierence I would have neither made that level nor built in such a fault.
As said, living in the past...
The other point, using some other work to hopp into the scene.., typical fault.
This will not bring anything ahead and makes no friends.
Build up your own thing beginning by zero, that's my suggest for the future.
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

Hi, (LL)Atan! I'm glad to see you! I've been playing the Subway Dancer. Do you have other projects levels? Maybe you are planning to create what is more another interesting levels for D3?
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Oh! Nice to see you're alive, Atan ;-)

A list of missions from Atan can be found here:

http://www.descent3fischlein.de

by searching for "ATAN" in the missions section. Would turn to an output like this:

http://www.descent3fischlein.de/levels/ ... &p=0&lng=2
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

thank you, Do_Checkor! :)