Configuration for LAN games

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

PyroJockey
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Configuration for LAN games

Post by PyroJockey »

What are the steps for configuring a Descent 3 dedicated server to run as a LAN game (i.e. for a LAN party)? This would not be for IPX.

I suspect it's something simple but it escapes me.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow sh*t up.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Re: Configuration for LAN games

Post by Krom »

No difference from online tcp/ip play, just set it to 12 pps (or use the 30pps mod).
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

If you're having trouble seeing or connecting to a game from another machine on the LAN, 95% of the time, it's simply because of the firewall on the host.
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

It is important that all clients use the same UDP port if you want the server to appear in the multiplayer games list.

So either there is NOTHING set in -"useport" for all of the games (incl. server) as this would revert to default 2092 or they are set to "-useport 2092" in the commandline settings.

If you wanted to launch more than one server to be visible in the games list, you can add more IP addresses to your server's network card and use individual "-useip x.x.x.x" commands then.

It is possible to run D3 LAN games by using D3Server3 :

http://www.dateiliste.com/de/descent-3/ ... rver3.html

...and I'd recommend to run games by that tool anyway.

One more thing if you can't see games after checking the above and Foil's tip about firewalls: Your LAN NIC might need to be be set to be the default one (or even only one - by deleting unused cards from the config).

I've been hosting and joining Descent LANs on a regular basis for 14 years now. So if you got more questions, I should be able to help you out...
PyroJockey
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by PyroJockey »

I confirmed the host firewall was off but added exceptions for the server's port 2092. I can now see the server on the client.

Thanks.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow sh*t up.