A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

Carlos_Ed
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

-=[ Creating a server behind Windows XP ICS/NAT ]=-

Post by Carlos_Ed »

Quick and simple(?) question to experienced server admins:

Is it possible to create a server behind a NAT/ICS that people on internet can join? If so, post some instructions please.

The thing is, I want to host a cooperative game for some of my friends. I wouldn't need this info if it wasn't for the fact that after some time playing the host (me...) crashes whit this stupid error about memory that couldn't be read. Anyway, this error has always been here with me and I have changed computer two times. Nothing in common between them except running Descent 3. So I decided to give a try with a server on dedicated mode. I can't create a dedicated server on my computer, and run the game again and join, can I? At least a wasn't able to. So I have 2 spare computers on my network and I was wondering If I could use one of them to be a full-time dedicated server, that others could join in from the internet. Is this possible? Thanks in advance! Even if it's just to say "no way". :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: -=[ Creating a server behind Windows XP ICS/NAT ]=-

Post by Suncho »

Carlos_Ed wrote: I can't create a dedicated server on my computer, and run the game again and join, can I?
Yes you can. I've done it before. What problems were you having?
Carlos_Ed
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Carlos_Ed »

It says that TCP/IP protocol is unavailable, or... busy, or... not configured, or something like that. What I was trying to do is run 2 copies of the game on the same machine. One of them as a Dedicated Server, and the other one as a client conecting to the server. But this is just in case the other option doesn't work. See, I have LAN with 4 PCs. And I share the internet through one of them. No router. The computer does the sharing. And I usually create the servers on the computer directly connected to the internet. But as I said Descent 3 isn't working quite well the standard way, so I wanted to have one of the other computers to be Dedicated Server. But I don't know if other people will be able to join in from the Internet. In case they do, it's HAPPY DAY FOR ME! :D

In case they don't, all that occurs to me is this 2-game-copies-runnin'-on-the-same-machine trick.

Any other suggestions/ideas are appreciated. I won't give up on this! I'll find a way, I always do... :twisted:
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

I think it's "-useport 2093" (without the quotes) in the shortcut command line on the Dedi server.

You'll also need to specify a different temporary directory, 'cause the game you run and the server can't share the same tempdir folder.

The command line is "-tempdir C:\xxxx" (again, without the quotes) to direct the server to put the temp file(s) it creates in there. You *will* need to create that dir.

The "xxxx" is whatever you want to name it. I always use the port name (ie. -useport 2093 -tempdir C:\2093)

Hope that helps!
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

@ Sarge - that would only be the way for his "alternative" way to get what he wants.

Carlos, could you tell us the name of the game you were starting? What Operating-System do you run on the gateway-machine and what on the machine you'd like to setup as a server?

It is possible to get it working - butI have to admit: 2 Years ago I was trying the same and it was "impossible" to get that. A few month ago I was testing a new version of the servertool and somehow it worked then. But actually I don't know WHY it worked. An important thing is, that you maybe cannot see your own server on the trackerlist EVEN if it is still there. This has something to do with the ports and routing again. But you could join there manually too. What Sarge told you is a very good point to start: set your ports on both machines manually. I'd recommend 2092 on the client and 2093 on the dedi (Thats the same Sarge posted with the difference that you would add the "-useport 2092" to your client manually. Usually it already IS 2092 but I found out that this sometime helps on problems).

The error message - i think - was "TCPIP is not active on your system". Usually this message comes, if you have anpther program that is already communication on the same ports (this could be your D3-client computer).

I would recommend to use a servertool like the one from DE-Hunter http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~baedeker/ because this will help you if you are unsure how to setup D3 dedis AND help you on the tracker stuff...
Carlos_Ed
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Carlos_Ed »

The Gateway computer is working on Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 1, all updates and patches done. The computer on my LAN that's going to be the dedicated server is going to have Windows 2000 Professional SP4. I can't see any incompatibilities here. As these two OS are based on the same "NT" technology. I don't have any doubts about creating regular dedicated servers. But this, isn't quite the "regular" situation. Having a dedicated server machine through ICS that other people from internet can join isn't something all that common. Maybe because of the hassle, or simply it isn't immediatelly possible. The D3Server tool is very good. Actually I am using it to fiddle around with the dedicated server. I can't think of making them without it! LoL

Again, my main goal is to setup a Descent 3 Cooperative server. the Listen-Server (server that you can play on) solution isn't working for be because some time after playing the game just crashes with that stupid error I described above. So, I decided to try dedicated, in one of two ways: Either have anoter of my PCs be Dedicated-Server (if I can get other people to join in from the Internet), or have two copies of Descent 3 running on the SAME COMPUTER (in this case, the one that's the gateway.) if the previous turns out impossible.

We can strike out all other sugestions not concerning to Descent 3 directly, as I have 100% sure my home networking is flawless, as is every system. Well... some of the machines are in desperate need of a severe upgrade. But they can run Descent 3 fine. The weakest machine is a Pentium II 333Mhz with a Glide accelerator card.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

I don't know anything about ICS, so I can't address that aspect of your problem.

A couple of things I *do* know.... there needs to be an IP address to the outside world that others can see on the dedi server. There needs to be a UDP and TCP hole punched through any firewall running (the ports are in the manual)

Also, if you're gonna run a separate dedi server, forget what I posted above. Just make sure that D3 runs properly on it.

And one more thing, just in case you didn't know, you do not need a D3 CD in the dedi machine.

Edit: Oh yea, you can't play directly on the dedi from another 'puter on the LAN, it'll hafta go out and come back in, using the 'outside' IP addy.
Carlos_Ed
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Carlos_Ed »

Hey sarge, what if I capture the network trafic concerning Descent 3 on my gateway and pump it to the machine that's going to be dedicated?

NOTE: Haven't tried making the server on the same machine yet, not going to be at home for a while.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Like I said, I'm not sure how ICS werx so I really wouldn't know... though I doubt you could do that.

... also, running a dedi *and* playing on the same machine really bogs down the server for the other players who join.

Can anyone else help out here?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

With ICS you will not be able to host from the ICS server and play from your side of the network from another machine, D3 does not support dual IPs