Need help getting TCP~IP server up

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Need help getting TCP~IP server up

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I'm looking to put my D3 server up again, but I haven't been able to get out of my local network. I wonder if someone could help me out.

I'm connected to the internet through a 2Wire router, which is hooked up to my network (switches), using DHCP. I was able to host servers on PXO without ever making any changes to the 2Wire's firewall, but even with the proper ports opened now (there's actually an option in the firewall software to open the necessary ports for hosting a D3 server) and with the command-line option "useip:[external IP]" (mistake?) it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You don't need the useip parameter, that's if you have two NIC's in the computer.

If you are using a different port (not 2092) to host the server, then you need to add -useport xxxx to the server command line.

You are running dhcp..has your machine's IP changed? Check your IP, and check the forwarding in the router.

How are you looking for the server once it's up? d3.descent.cx? Did you enable heartbeat tracking?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Testiculese wrote:You don't need the useip parameter, that's if you have two NIC's in the computer.
Ah, ok. That's right.
Testiculese wrote:How are you looking for the server once it's up? d3.descent.cx? Did you enable heartbeat tracking?
Yes, and no. I was thinking that I could enter my external IP into d3.descent.cx's Search field to find if it was accessible from the internet before I work on the heartbeat stuff. Apparently that was wrong thinking on my part, so I'll get to work on the heartbeat settings.

Thanks a lot, Testi!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

ST, if you don't want to setup heartbeats, try the following:

Run a second copy of Descent 3 and try to join your dedicated server using the external ip address.

Have someone else try to join your server using the external ip address.

Use qstat to see if you can query your server http://www.qstat.org
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Thanks, Suncho. Actually, I do want to set up heartbeats, I was just trying to do things one at a time so that any potential troubleshooting would be simplified.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Could someone tell me what UDP and TCP ports I need to forward to get this darn thing working (if you could use large type, or maybe pictures, it would help, I'm losing brain cells fast)?
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Discoveries and solution:

TCP ports do not have to be forwarded, period, in order to view the server(s) on D3.descent.cx and join it/them via IP.

Forward desired UDP ports (2093-2100, here; saving UDP 2092 for my main computer, for hosting non-dedicated p2p games) *updated*

-gspyfile "filename.cfg"
filename.cfg contents:
filename.cfg wrote:5
master0.gamespy.com:27900
tracker.descent.cx:27900
tracker.kali.net:22999
(replace '5' with appropriate Region number (see D3 manual page 60))

If you are running multiple servers, each server must use a different -gamespyport number (unspecified it defaults to [insert unknown port number]). If you fail to specify the -gamespyport on multiple servers, the ports will default to the same number and only one server will show.

I know that much of this info isn't always necessary since most people are using Hunter's D3 Server utility, but it's still good to know.

Oh yeah.. Servers are working!! :D
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

congrats!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

yay!