Setting up a server with rotating level selection ...

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Setting up a server with rotating level selection ...

Post by KoolBear »

I want to setup some DBB servers with rotating levels.

What or how do I go about doing this?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Not sure about this but I think you need to create a level set with the levels you want in them. But I'm sure I'm wrong on this and someone will correct me and make me feel 1\" tall. :P
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

LOL, at least you ventured a guess, since I had to ask in the first place I guess that make's me about 1/4\" tall ;)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yes. Package a custom mn3 file with all the levels you want.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Suncho wrote:Yes. Package a custom mn3 file with all the levels you want.
AHA! I was right.

/me does the happy dance :P
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

but the problem on this solution would be that the players need to download that file right?

imho it's worthless to setup rotating levels. i rotate the levels manually. actually there are more then enough servers online already (ratio is usually 3 servers on 1 player) so it would make sense to only host servers with the mission MISSING in the serverlist and \"rotate\" every 2-3 days per hand...
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Do_Checkor wrote:imho it's worthless to setup rotating levels.
The problem with all those servers hosting other levels is that no one gets ON them. And I don't think thats necessarily because people don't like the levels. It's because people
A: Go someplace familiar
B: Are looking for a level with someone already playing it.

IF we had one server with rotating levels, It would be familiar, and it would have people playing it, and it would expose people to levels that don't get played that much. Every so often KoolBear could update the level pack and add in a few new and underappreciated gems. The entire community benefits because we have a broader exposure to the fine work D3 level developers have done.
Package a custom mn3 file with all the levels you want.
Speaking of which, doesn't "Fellowship" already do this? Also, I know it can be set up for 4 way team anarchy, so perhaps it is configured for 3 way capture the flag? If you chose to host "felowship" on one of the servers, it would already be a rotating level. :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Do_Checkor wrote:but the problem on this solution would be that the players need to download that file right?

imho it's worthless to setup rotating levels. i rotate the levels manually. actually there are more then enough servers online already (ratio is usually 3 servers on 1 player) so it would make sense to only host servers with the mission MISSING in the serverlist and "rotate" every 2-3 days per hand...
DC that's all good and I agree with you, but autmatically rotating levels seems so much easier!
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

I would NOT make custom mission packs (just because some guys are on ISDN/56k still - me for example even if temp.) and if I see 6 levels in a pack with 15MB or so - baaahhh - needs hours to complete - and most likely i HAVE the missions in that pack already. So...

This is my suggestion how to do it a better way:

Use the Servertool V.3 from Hunter and make a server-configuration, and enable the \"use scheduler\" function to make a \"start all days\" schedule for 2 hrs (or whatever prefered). If completed, use the \"copy server configuration\" function, change the name for that configuration (i'd add the mission name) and the mission (and maybe settings) AND move the time-settings two hours (or whatever prefered) ahead. The scheduling-settings are saved individually for each configuration BUT are copied.

This way nobody needed to re-download existing levels, you could change single missions very easy without the need to re-pack / re-upload a set and so on.

If you made 12 (assuming 2 hrs each) configs this way you could keep this config-set forever, just changing the single missions. You would even be able to change the order for the levels without making a big deal from it :-)

So what do you think?