Anyone out there run the linux dedicated server?

A place to deal with D3 servers, server issues, server listings, etc. Home Page

Moderators: Do_Checkor, Starken

Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Anyone out there run the linux dedicated server?

Post by Xamindar »

I'm going to be setting up a dedicated D3 server and just want some feedback from anyone who is running one in Linux. Are there any problems running one in Linux? Or should I just run the windows server?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

The main reason people use the Windows version is that you can specify which port to use, and thusly run more than one server on a machine. However, with the God-given talent that is Munk's Checksum Workaround, I'm thinking a Linux dedi server isn't such a bad idea. You could even write a script that will restart it for some incredibly rare occurance that it barfs and dies. Thankfully, when something in Linux dies, it rarely takes the rest of the machine with it.

I've toyed with the idea, and even tried some of the Windows server config programs (all of which I hated). I'd say just use what you have.

Sorry, couldn't resist putting in my $.02 :D
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I know the game supplied linux server had the same checksum problem. I never used it much. I wonder if it would run under the checksum fix. And I wonder if it would allow your choice of ports.

However, Im still fairly happy, running a windows based server using http://www.winehq.org/
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Take a look at http://d3shiva.dnsalias.org/ The server-on-demand is a linux server and you can find the scripts in the download section.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

By the way, where can I get the linux dedicated server? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Grendel wrote:Take a look at http://d3shiva.dnsalias.org/ The server-on-demand is a linux server and you can find the scripts in the download section.
Wow, I thought Shiva's site had gone down some time ago. Good to see it still up and running. :)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I just downloaded the 1.4 server patch from www.descent3.com

Basically, it's a stripped-down install of Linux D3, and I was surprised to see it includes most of the files I put into my Linux client package. According to the readme, it's basically a functional server-only install, minus the movies, levels, and the main d3.hog file. Here's a snip from the readme:
You will need to have the following:
* The \"missions\" directory (either symbolic link to it, or copy the mn3's you need)
* The d3.hog file (required, either symbolic link or file)
And it gives instructions to install it using the RPM or manually with the tar file. It includes a demo dedicated server config, and I thought it was interesting, the actual executable is called \"main\" just like the Windows version, but is somewhat smaller than the \"descent3\" executable in the Linux client, probably stripped of any rendering code. It also includes a version of the executable that's compiled with a statically linked (and older) glibc.

I don't see the need to use the dedicated server package, unless you want to quickly un/install it remotely via RPM, as it doesn't do anything the native client doesn't do.

As usual, I'm going to try it out and see if there's more to it. :D Oh, how I love being a geek.

(edit) I'm wondering, if it's based on the Windows 1.4 version, if it would be compatible with the Windows checksums!?! What about multiple ports? Must try this out!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

FunkyStickman wrote:(edit) I'm wondering, if it's based on the Windows 1.4 version, if it would be compatible with the Windows checksums!?!
Nope.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Well, not only does it need Munk's utility, but it doesn't allow changing ports I ran \"netstat -n -a\" and it stayed at port 2092 no matter what switch I tried. So basically, there's no functional difference between it and the full client other than being able to install it with two simple RPMs (the server, and Munk's workaround if you wanted it).

Does that help you at all, Xam?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Yes thank you guys. You both helped a lot. FunkyStickman, I think the dedicated server you linked is what I want. I have D3 on a linux box without an xserver and the full game requires xlibs to run even as a dedicated server, so that's why i needed the dedicated only server.

Also, thanks Grendel, I saw that shiva site but haven't had the time to figure it out. (That link needs to be corrected on planetdescent.com by the way). I'm sure TopGun's on top of it.

I'm going to try to either set up my own server here at my house or have my friend host it on his Texas server (the same one that has Funkystickman's linux files), or both. But it has to be the linux server, we dson't use no windows for anything :P There seem to be a lot of good maps missing on the servers these days. I loved crash-m but can't find a server running it any more. I also love coop mode but those are non-existant as well.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

IIRC Shivas SOD does change ports.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

The SOD is basically a Java backend that listens and then launches the server as needed. I don't think it can force the Linux server to run on a different port (as the executable doesn't support it with command line switches), unless it does internal port redirecting. I'm somewhat interested in it, and I have the SOD files, so I'll see if I can get them working as well. Xam, let me know when that thing is up and running, I'll be all up in there! I've yet to stumble across you in the mines, and I'm looking forward to it :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

ech, I got it to load but can't seem to connect to it. Maybe linux d3 servers are a lost cause.

Does anyone know if any of the servers on http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3 are Linux based? That would give me faith again.

I got an old computer laying around, maybe I should just install windows 2000 and use that.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I got mine working without any trouble. What error message does it give you when you try to connect? What distro are you using?

I'm totally stoked, I'm thinking about building a machine now with a stripped down install, and the Linux Dedi server. It'd only be about 500MB for the game, and about the same for the OS... this could be fun indeed!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

hmm, well I'll give it another go tonite. It seemed to load, no errors. It went through all the loading sequences I remember (TTTTTTSSSSSSSS....) and ends with

Code: Select all

Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Setting 'PPS' variable to 8.
Setting 'TimeLimit' variable to 60.
Setting 'KillGoal' variable to 30.
Setting 'RespawnTime' variable to 25.
Setting 'GameName' variable to Radnimax.com D3 Server!.
Setting 'MissionName' variable to d3.mn3.
Setting 'Scriptname' variable to Co-op.
Setting 'ConnectionName' variable to Direct TCP~IP.
Setting 'NumTeams' variable to 1.
Setting 'MaxPlayers' variable to 4.
Setting 'AllowRemoteConsole' variable to 1.
Connection DLL initialized.
But I am not able to see it from my D3 game.

I at first tried loading fury in anarchy but it complained that the multiplayer mode was not for this mission :?

It would be really nice to get shivas SOD thing working as Grendel posted. I don't think it is working on his/hers site any more, I tried it. By the way Grendel, what do your servers run on?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Xamindar wrote:Does anyone know if any of the servers on http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3 are Linux based? That would give me faith again.
Just start an SOD ..
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

Grendel wrote:
Xamindar wrote:Does anyone know if any of the servers on http://d3.descent.cx/tracker.d3 are Linux based? That would give me faith again.
Just start an SOD ..
I'm sorry, I must have missed something. I don't see anything about starting an SOD on d3.descent.cx and I tries creating one on Shiva's site but I never saw it appear.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Here's what shows up in the console when I start a server: (edited for brevity)
Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Setting 'KillGoal' variable to 0.
Setting 'GameName' variable to Multiplayer Game!.
Setting 'MissionName' variable to fury.mn3.
Setting 'Scriptname' variable to Anarchy.
Setting 'NumTeams' variable to 2.
Mission 'fury.mn3' loaded successfully.
Opening level 'TheCore.d3l'...Retrieving mission data...Fury level 1 1 Percent CAnalyzing data...Fury level 1 0 Percent Completet Complete
Analyzing data...Fury level 1 100 Percent Complete
*Entering observer mode.
It looks like it's not loading the level correctly. Check permissions on the .mn3 files, try another level, try anything.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

What the heck is wrong with this?!?

Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Analyzing data...
Setting 'KillGoal' variable to 0.
Setting 'GameName' variable to Radnimax.com D3 Server!.
Setting 'MissionName' variable to fury.mn3.
Setting 'Scriptname' variable to Anarchy.
Setting 'NumTeams' variable to 2.
Mission 'fury.mn3' loaded successfully.
This mission is not compatible with the selected multiplayer mode.
This mission is not compatible with the selected multiplayer mode.
Shutting down.
Descent 3 Message(Error: Cannot load Dedicated Server config file.)

System Error
I copied the settings you used but I get this error instead. Strange.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

That's weird. I'm guessing you installed the dedi server on a different machine? Where did you copy over the mn3 files from? Not trying to be a pest, I'm just curious. All I did was install the rpm file, and copy over d3.hog and fury.mn3 and nothing else. I also made sure the files were all a+rx permissions, and I ran the server as root (gave me an error as a regular user about being able to create the cache directory)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

well, I'm thinking something got corrupted. I copied all the files over to this server machine FROM my working d3 instalation on my desktop.

I'm also trying to get that SOD thing working without much luck: http://radnimax.com/create_server.html

But of course I need to have the d3 server at least working by its self for this to work.

EDIT: well I guess thje descent 3 server doesn't work on newer linux systems. I just redownloaded it and tried it on my desktop and got the same error as above. Too bad :(

EDIT2: Well, the actual Descent 3 binary will successfully start a dedicated server but it needs X installed to even start as dedicated. That will work for me so off I go to install Xorg on my potential d3 server. Yay. It's very strange that I can't get the dedicated only one to work.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Xamindar wrote:Also, thanks Grendel, I saw that shiva site but haven't had the time to figure it out. (That link needs to be corrected on planetdescent.com by the way). I'm sure TopGun's on top of it.
Considering the fact that I wasn't even aware we had a link to Shiva's site until spending a minute or two looking for it, and that I have absolutely no access to areas of the site like that, I wouldn't be so sure. :P I'll try to bring it to someone's attention, even though most link sections on the site are horribly out-of-date. Boy, do we really need an overhaul...
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

FINALLY got the d3 server working. Sheesh! All I had to do was copy ALL the hog files (except ppics.hog) into the dedicated server directory even replacing the ones that were already there. I guess the readme is wrong when it says I only needed to copy over d3.hog.

Curious, how do I get my server to show up on d3.descent.cx? Do I use the gamespy config?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Correct, it has an entry in there for descent.cx

(edit)
Create a file called gamespy.cfg in your main Descent 3 directory with the following contents:

master0.gamespy.com:27900
tracker.kali.net:22999
tracker.descent.cx:27900 
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I got it working, but it only seems to work for a little while and then the server doesn't show up on the tracker any more. Is there some reason for this?

If I restart the server it will show up again in d3.descent.cx (for a while).

I noticed shiva's sod servers do the same thing.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Hmmm... mine did the same thing also. I let it run all night, and it's not on the tracker this morning. Curious indeed.

(GG last night, BTW)
esa
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by esa »

Xamindar wrote:I got it working, but it only seems to work for a little while and then the server doesn't show up on the tracker any more. Is there some reason for this?
Yet another Linux D3 bug: the server stops sending hearbeat packets after N minutes.

A few years back when I was fighting for this same lost cause, I wrote a Perl script that would spoof the heartbeat packets to keep the games visible on PXO.

Then you have the game checksum bug (there's a workaround now?) and the ghost ships and ghost weapons. What a shame; Linux would be a great D3 server platform.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Yes, Munk was generous enough to create a workaround for the checksum bug. It basically uses iptables to substitute \"corrected\" checksums, and so far it seems to be working fantastically. As for the ghost weapons and ships, I've never heard of this before, though I'm no expert. And as for the heartbeats, do you still have this Perl script? I'm thinking this might be one of the last pieces of the puzzle... it would at least make a Linux server a viable permenant option.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Thanks for the response esa. :) Do you by any chance still have that perl script? That along with shiva's SOD will make a kickin server.

I have never heard of the ghost ship/weapon thing. But I'm guessing that is where a ship is stuck in the level that doesn't belong to any player and you can't kill it. I do see that a lot in coop games.

And indeed, GG FunkyStickMan. :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Well, now the server doesn't show up at all on d3.descent.cx. Not even from a fresh restart. Strange.
esa
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by esa »

FunkyStickman wrote:Yes, Munk was generous enough to create a workaround for the checksum bug. It basically uses iptables to substitute "corrected" checksums
What an *awesome* hack! I'd love to see the iptables rule for that.
FunkyStickman wrote:do you still have this Perl script? I'm thinking this might be one of the last pieces of the puzzle...
Yeah, I can probably dig it up or recreate it.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Check it out, it's linked to in this thread

And yes, Munk is teh l33t haxx0r, at least in my book. :D
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Sort of off topic, but what is the command I put in my dedicated server config to have a mission pack load at level 3? For example a co-op game. I don't see any option listed at planetdescent.com

EDIT: Nevermind, I finally found it.