WTB: Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 1.1

Want to sell off that old video card for that new GeForce? Looking for a used Sidewinder? This is the place to buy, sell, trade and post about hot deals you find!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

WTB: Graphics Card with Pixel Shader 1.1

Post by Money! »

I gotta buy a new video card for Black and White 2 :(

Looking for CHEAPEST possible that meets these specs:
64 MB
Pixel Shader 1.1

Apparently these cards are supported:

ATI Radeon
8500/9100/9200/9250/9500/9550
9600/9700/9800/X300/X600/X700/X800/X850

nVidia GeForce 6200/6600/6800/FX5200/FX5500/FX5600/FX5700
FX5800/FX5900/FX5950/PCX5300/PCX5900/Ti4200/Ti4600
Ti4800

Anyways I might just buy one of these on the net, but I'll talk to anyone who has one for cheap.

Thanks guys.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I got my Radeon 9600 Pro for $85 on eBay, though it was a refurb.

You can get this though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102326
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Thanks man I'm looking into it.

The other one I was thinking of was this:
http://www.slickdeals.net/?from=2005-09 ... 0-01#p6489
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

who made my 9600 pro in bold? :S

Anyway, if you had a card that could not support Black and white, I highly doubt you have a PCI express port.

Make sure, because the link I gave is for AGP.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Yea I have some idea of the PCI/AGP difference; at least I remember there is one. I have almost zero knowledge of computers. My friend, who knows a bit, is going to come over to help take apart my computer and see what I got.

So, what do I need to have in my computer to be able to run an AGP card? Are you suggesting that my card is PCI and that my computer doesn't support AGP, but I need AGP? If so, then I might as well do nothing. But what do I look for when I take it apart, to check if it supports AGP?

The graphics card I have right now is some crappy Intel supplied card. I bought my computer fully built (lame I know) so I don't know exactly what it's got. I do know that its a 64 mb card, if that means anything.

Thanks for the help.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

PCI: meaning something like Peripheral ??something?? Interconnect, you only want to use that for video cards if you have to.

PCIe (PCI express) a newer technogly that can be twice as fast as AGP.

AGP accelerated Graphics Port was the standard for video card ports, and is still used today.

What I am saying is I bet you have a AGP port and a PCI port, but not a PCI express port. I bet your current video card uses AGP also, but if your computer is like 1-2 GHz era, then it probably has 4x AGP, rather then 8x AGP, but a 8x AGP will almost always run on a 4x AGP slot, just it will run slower (My Radeon 9600 Pro is a AGP 8x running on a 4x Slot)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

Deleted cuz it double posted
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I have one of these doing nothing, and was used for maybe 8 hours max

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814102295
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Thanks guys for the help. You helped me alot with knowing the difference.

One thing though. My friend and I took apart the computer and he said he could only see a PCI slot. My computer is maybe 4-5 years old, stock.

Could someone post a picture of an AGP slot and I can check my computer to see if I have one?

If I don't have an AGP slot, are they any PCI cards with Pixel Shader 1.1? I'm looking for the cheapest, 75-100 dollar range.

If I do have an AGP slot, then stress, I don't know exactly what you ment by your post but if it meant you wouldn't mind givin/selling that card for cheap I'd like to discuss it with you.

You have no idea how much you guys have helped me. You're giving me hope lolz. THANKS
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

http://koti.mbnet.fi/talggari/Harrasten ... imelle.jpg

That is a AGP port, the brown one.

And a decent PCI card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814131411

Of course there are better, but that is an all around good price:quality ratio
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Thenior, you've been the greatest help. Thank you so much.

So, sadly, I do not have AGP, I will have to go PCI.

Once this is done I'll be all set... and I will owe my LIFE to you.

Again, requirements:
Video Card:
64 MB+
PCI
Pixel Shader 1.1 or greater
under $110
From Amazon

I really want it off Amazon because I have a 150 gift certificate just waiting to be used. And with a pretty good selection form there, it is almost a must to buy it from there.

What about this:

I'm really thinking about this one, because it meets all my requirements. At least I think so. Also, I think I can get this card "New" for 50 bucks from techforless.com Anyone heard of it? If its a 75% chance that this thing will work from buying it there then I'll go that route, cheaper is BETTER. According to Amazon, it has a 94% approval rate

The card you suggested sounds much better, but was 130 from amazon and 100 used from there, and I'm really cheap.

I know I sound like a total cheap procrustean douche during this whole thing, but you are being so helpful lol that I'm starting to take a little advantage :P However, I should be all set after this post.

Tell me your thoughts on it, and this will all be done. :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Holy ★■◆● Thenior, use the damn resize tool. Download Infarview if you can't bother to load it up in paint.

That being said, that card you linked to on Amazon is an AGP card.
Product Description:
Radeon 9200 Video Card, 8x AGP, 128MB DDR
You're not going to find any decent PCI graphics cards I'm afraid. Is the machine you're using a pre-fab (ie: Dell, Gateway, etc) or something a friend built for you? If its the latter, then I'd recommend buying another motherboard. If thats not an option, then I'm afraid your options are severely limited. If you're not looking to put a whole lot of money into this machine, I wouldn't any slower than this card or anything faster than this card. Both of these cards use pixel shader 2.0 btw. However, if I were you I would seriously consider saving up for a complete upgrade for your computer rather than peacemealing it. Even that last card I listed more than likely isn't going to make Black and White2 run all that fast. It'll do wonders for your D3, but thats about it.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Thanks MD. This is the deal:

I'm only going to have this computer for another 2 years before I scrap it. I'm moving (got things planned out a while ahead:P) and with the move comes a new computer. This one is a factory built gateway, 18 ghz with 512 RAm and P4. I really don't care about running Black and White 2 fast at all, as long as it runs. I plan to be totally content computer game-wise once I have this game and Descent, and almost know 100% that I'm not going to put any other money into games, therefore my computer. Therefore, I'm trying to make my purchase of Black and White (50) and the video card for it (50-100) as cheap as possible.

More on this later, I gtg. Do you think my computer will run barebones B&W at a semi-playable speed for a patient man?

And I'm lookin' to the cheaper card of course. Thank you very much for pointing out my mistake, you saved me money. Good suggestion on that card :)
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

MD, If I was hosting the picture I would have resized it, but since I just googled AGP, I can't really scale down someone elses hosted image without hosting it myself.

With counselling I am sure you'll come to forgive me :)

and Money,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8&v=glance
looks pretty good to me I think, and it is PCI.

And I doubt it will run it very well, considering you don't have a AGP slot, I doubt you have a 1.6GHz CPU.

Although since I have a nice motherboard and video card, sometimes it makes up the difference if you put everything at lowest settings.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Thanks, with both of your suggestions I think I have enough to work with.

And according to the company, I have a 1.8Ghz CPU.