D2X-XL Mission on the Making-Preliminary Version available!!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Fog would be a cool way of providing some ambience though. :D

If it's a per-cube setting, though, it would be helpful to at least be able to apply it to blocks of cubes.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

Diedel wrote:Making fog a segment (cube) property. Problem: I don't know how that would 'stack up'.
For some amount of control over that, you could allow the fog to stack up, but then divide each fog cube's fog intensity (assuming that would be adjustable) based on how many neighboring cubes in a row had fog. i.e., if four cubes connected in the same direction all have fog, divide each cube's fog intensity by four and then let the stacking effect achieve the original desired intensity.

Fog at intersections wouldn't be helped as much by this, but it probably wouldn't suffer noticeably. Outside areas with low fog or the like might be more of a problem when viewed from above the fog, so you could allow the level designer to manually disable the compensation for such cubes.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

But should you do that anyway? Four cubes in a row with fog = four times the distance = four times the decrease in visual clarity, one would think?

Then again, perhaps in games it can do strange stuff.
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

That's assuming that you want the fog to work like real-life and obscure vision through the fog increasingly as the amount of fog increases, revealing more as you get further through the fog.

If you don't want that, though, then you could apply fog on a per-pixel basis as part of the render pipeline. Do a quick check for each pixel for whether or not it is in or behind a fog cube, then render uniform fog to it based on that. I admit no familiarity with the D2X-XL source code, though, so I don't know if that's feasible.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, the additive method Sirius says it's a bit more realistic, but i don't know if it's easy or even reliable (i'm not exactly a great programmer :P ).

Also, i don't know if it's feasible to assign a color to the Fog with DLE-XP, but that's the way i would like it.
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's been done for lights... fog isn't too much of a stretch.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

gah, back to the mission please! I'd like more info/screenies! XD
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

DarkWolf: Just wait a little, i'm currently making my website. There you will find a lot of info, screenies and much more about my project, just wait a little more (i'm almost done) :)
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I cannot just apply fog through the entire mine. Btw, per-pixel fog is offered by OpenGL already (depending on the quality level chosen). OpenGL supports adding fog via coordinates, allowing you to fog limited areas, and that is the desired effect for Descent levels, imo (as Kyo pointed out, you may just want to have fog in icy or humid areas).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Cool. Sounds like you're on to a winner there.

Fog is a \"little\" thing really but it can sometimes do a lot to improve visual quality - especially if you're trying to simulate being under water!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Well, I have dug deeper into the OpenGL fog coord stuff, and it is much more complicated and harder to use than I had thought (you have to apply it per texture rendered), so I doubt I'll implement it. Sorry.

I'd so much love to completely rewrite D2 using everything modern gfx hardware (and physics engines) offer ... :/

Errrm ... before I forget it: I'd also so much love to play your new mission ... ;)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Well, i doesn't matter. Even without Fog D2X-XL features are great! :D

And now back to my mission!

I've rececently opened a new website with complete info about 'Pumo Mines' :) . This is the URL:

http://www.pumosoftware.co.nr

(Select the English option)

And also you'll find a section with complete High Quality soundtracks of my projects and also some nice 3D artworks, and a lot of other stuff...
---
And here is a new demo video!

Well, i hope you like my site and the new video clip. :wink:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

hehe it's not much, but it's interesting and you've kept with the spirit of the D2 textures brilliantly, despite it being totally new.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

New information about my mission 'Pumo Mines' ! :D

Here is an excerpt (screenshot) of my website section (this is the story of my mission):

But if you want more information, PLEEZE ( :P ) visit my new website (it does includes Music Samples, Character cast, complete weapon and powerup info and a lot more) 'cause the information is too much to put on this forum. Here is the link to my site (click on the English option)

http://www.pumosoftware.co.nr

Enjoy my site... :)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Oh right, i've got a new Demo Video Clip showing the custom Weapon Powerup graphics and a bit of Level 3...

This is the link:

And now, some of the characters with detailed description (i put this here as i see that i didn't receive too much visitors nor feedback in my Website :( )

(this is a rip off from my website)

Anyway, enjoy the new Demo Clip and stay tuned for more 'Pumo Mines' news!! :)
Wheeze87
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wheeze87 »

wow! this is amazing stuff pumo, good luck with the project's. YOu got LOADS going on, on your website! Real nice,
i am waiting eargerly for the first release!!!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

overall percentage progress? This looks great.
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I think around 37% is the overall progress. I'm making Level 6 right now (and i'm going great! )

So maybe in a few weeks (i hope) i can bring a preliminary version of Level 1 (only showin' the level, bots and textures, without custom weapons)...
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

Finally! After years of making here it is, the preliminary version of Pumo Mines Level 1!! (compatible with Singleplayer and Coop only). Be sure to test it, you won't be dissapointed!! :)

Here, a screenie:

And the important stuff, the download link :D

Pumo Mines Lvl. 1 Preliminary

You will notice that some of the claimed features won't be
available on this version 'cause you will need my custom
HAM and PIG files, but at least you can put your hands on
something more real about Pumo Mines.

Before playing, be sure to check PMLEV1.TXT to know how to set the correct D2X-XL config to play my level.

You'll only need Descent 2 v1.2 and the latest version of
D2X-XL... Enjoy ;)