Call out to all D2 level designers (old and new)!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Descent Vignettes a good idea?

Yes! And I'll be contributing!
28%
Yes! I'd love to play it when its done!
68%
No.
4%

Total votes: 25
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

so did you want to do the replacement or shall I? Makes no difference to me, but if you want more control over the textures you can do it and re-send it. Up to you.
And I believe Wishmaster is bowing out on his third and final level due to time constraints, so I shall be picking up the pieces and will be making that level for him. But the two levels he did provide are good enough and will stay in the set. Thanks again for lending your talents Wishmaster!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I'll do it. It'll probably only take a few minutes, since DLE-XP's \"replace\" feature is pretty much awesome and stuff.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

I love the sunspire, that should be a fun one to do, and since it comes later in the mission as level 20, it will probably be a very hard level to complete. Great job Sirius!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The weaker robots early in the mission are a fair fight, but some of the later robots provide a real challenge and should provide a good difficulty range for those looking for a rough battle. The golem alone is a fearsome foe, with super smart missiles that can be fired in volleys of 2-6 depending on difficulty. Plus a pesky energy pulse. Thankfully he won't appear until around level 18, and he won't appear often, but when he does, his presence will be felt, painfully.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

This is getting better and better! I can't wait to play it!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Update: Wishmaster dropped out, meaning one last level still has to be made. (needs to be a water level with boss) All other levels are in and accounted for.
The robots are slowly progressing and being added to Descent 2.
No offense to Alter-fox, your work is good, but its not what I'm looking for in the soundtrack. Still looking for good midis.
Briefing still has to be made. (I'll be making it, got a good story for it, the name of the level set may change to \"The Enemy Within\" because of the story.)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

First boss is underway, Sirius just set the Mule up.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Still working hard on the last level in the set, the ideas aren't coming fast enough as far as I'm concerned, but it will be finished no matter what!
As for the robots, the Warlord onward still need to be implemented into D2, but for the most part are flowing along well. They truly are the best robots I've ever seen for Descent 2!
Progress is already over half done!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

There were a few adjustments I had to make to those three robots. They've been done now.

Still haven't completed the first boss robot, but that's because I've been doing other things over the past few days.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Completed the first boss model today. Moving on to the second, which I already have a plan for. Will figure out the other four soon enough.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Two bosses done, and I'll finish the third tonight.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:No offense to Alter-fox, your work is good, but its not what I'm looking for in the soundtrack.
That's okay. I've decided to use the one I recently sent to you for level 17 of my "Maximum Vertigo" D2X-XL mission that I'm working on. It'll have 35 levels (21 normal + 14 secret). I've already got levels 1 and 10 done, and I'm working on levels 11, 14, 16, 17, and 18 all at once.

Sorry for the off-topicness.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

forgiven for off-topicness. Good luck on that ambitious project. If it weren't for the help of the talented members who contributed (and are still contributing) to this level set, this wouldn't even have gotten off the ground nor achieved the progress its made thus far. So yes, this will be released because of everyone's efforts. Now who is helping you?
And speaking of level sets, I'm curious as to how Pumo is faring on his.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's been done before. I remember Lost Levels. :)
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Pumo »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:And speaking of level sets, I'm curious as to how Pumo is faring on his.
I'm still working hard on it :)
I've been very busy re-making the robots, various textures and the ship model. :wink:

I will open a blog to show my progress on my project from time to time, so stay tuned.

EDIT: The blog is ready! If you want to check it out, this is the URL: http://pumomines.blogspot.com/
[Pumo software main website] - Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels) -- [Official R.a.M. Land's website] (You can find my music here)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

yes, but Lost Levels was a fluke, I have never had that much free time nor will I ever have that much ever again.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm making the levels myself, and Pumo is testing them. My project WILL take a long time, and I have a similar D3 project planned too (apart from the seven level mission I'm already working on.) The D2 mission will have a level arrangement sort of like the 2D Sonic the Hedgehog games (or Sonic Heroes.)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Knocked out #4. Two to go.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, with the exception of one level (Darkhorse, read the bottom of this post), all levels are done in the set.
Most of the normal robots have been implemented into the game other than 3-4 that I know which Sirius is working on. The bosses are a work in progress as we speak.
No soundtrack yet.
But so far, the level set is looking good. :)

To Darkhorse:
Since I did one with Sirius and that turned out jawsome, I thought I'd maybe do one with you once your bosses are over. I'll help start up a good chunk of a level and let you fill in the gaps if that is what you're interested in.
So far, I'll be making the boss arena, starting area, and the three color coded doors, how they all connect will be left up to you. But this is...of course, only if you want to.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

I have a couple other projects I'd like to be getting on to as soon as I finish the final boss tonight, so I'll have to pass. My current work for the Mechwarrior Crysis mod has dragged on too long, need to nail it before the end of the month.

I'll e-mail you screenshots of the last three bosses after I have textures on this one. I'll work with Sirius to get the different paint schemes for different environments too; that'll be a little later on. At the current rate I'd say we should have all the robots finalised by mid July.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

once I get the last 'normal non-boss' robot turned in on my end. I'll edit all their behaviors and then send them back to Sirius for the localization for each area. Plus an extensive list on which enemies appear in which levels, the themes of the levels, etc. Just to make it easier to match them all up.

Then I'll await the six boss robots from Sirius and I'll edit their behaviors too and send them back.

As for the levels, I'm slowing working on the final one, thinking of adding another secret level unless someone else has one already built they'd like to contribute. (hint hint, nudge nudge!) Then I'll finally be adding the robots and weapons once I have the final level order finalized. Then I'll send that off to Sirius so he can do his thing with robot replacement and he'll send it back to me for initial testing, I'll set up the briefing and then off we go with the first wave of testing! Exciting!

Speaking Sirius, how's he doing?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I'm okay. Just got back in the country after an interview.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

oh...PM or email me and tell me about it. I'm curious. But good to have you back on course with the robots.
CH-3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CH-3 »

And so, how's the project going? :)
Do you think of a release date?

I'm anxious!! :D
(\\/)
(=°.°)
¿(\")(\") another one...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

The project is coming along fine actually, it seems slow right now on this end. But once all pieces are turned in and compiled into the hog, the rest should go very quickly from there. The one thing I'm not looking forward to personally is writing the briefing file. But since I got a fairly good story in mind, I'll still do it.
As for a release date, I dare not give one out for we may not meet it. So its done when its done, but I suspect it'll be out before the end of the year.
CH-3
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CH-3 »

:D ...

Well, it doesn't matters. Even if it takes a long time to be ready to enjoy it, i can wait!
(\\/)
(=°.°)
¿(\")(\") another one...
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

All 30 levels are done minus robots and items.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Congratulations on more than 6,000 thread views. ^_^
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

thanks! And also thanks to you Kyouryuu for being so generous with Aurora, I'm not entirely sure when it was released for D1, but I have almost no doubt not many people saw this wonderful level and you allowing it to be included will most likely give it more popularity and more eyes on your work. Only good things can come of it. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Its MADNESS!
(yes that is the shadow image of the fire boss disappearing in the background) Again...MADNESS!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Haha

Just a taste of the bizarre sights to be found in these levels...
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

This is the after shot.

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

ooh..look at all the sparkles! 8) :lol:
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Awesome work guys. :)
This looks like dozends of explosions and tons of debris. Just as I love it.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Okay, we need a request for someone with artistic talent to provide the level set with a intro screen for the briefing. The name of the level set will be \"The Enemy Within\" and will involve betrayal, spying, intrique, etc. You're basically sent in to sabatoge PTMC without their knowing. As to why you're sent in and the real reason you are there, you'll just have to find out. But with that story as a backdrop, see what you can come up with for a title screen.
Thanks!
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Started putting the player ship together. Should have that done in a week at most. Nose and part of the wings are done.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

cool beanz! :) you can pop up the image here when you're done. :)
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

After having a look through Level 1 with robots replaced, everything was OK, but I suspect my older version of D2X-XL had some problems that caused textures to disappear. D2X was fine, but on level 2 killing a Meson caused a crash. Looking into solutions to that.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Error fixed, managed to get through to level 5 before I had to give in to my RSI-o-matic Saitek boat anchor with an industrial-strength spring.

Really wish D2X worked properly with a mouse. On second thoughts, I do have a pair of side-cutters somewhere...
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

At level 14, no serious errors yet, a couple minor ones we're looking into.