Trying to find 4-Dimensional levels

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Trying to find 4-Dimensional levels

Post by QuestionableChaos »

Does anyone else remember a level set that was created a couple years ago, that had levels in which multiple players could be in separate rooms which occupied the same point in space?

I remember one level was like a donut, only it took three full travels around inside to get back to where you \"started\"

Ive tried searching for this set, but cant find it :?
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

The level that you are talking about was called \"4D Flagger\" if I recall correctly.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Trying to find 4-Dimensional levels

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

QuestionableChaos wrote: I remember one level was like a donut, only it took three full travels around inside to get back to where you "started"
Are you talking about Circle of Death?
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

mmm no it wasn't circle of death, as it wasn't a port from Descent1. andd when searching for \"4D flagger\" i couldnt really find anything.

gosh this is frustrating... what was that set called :?

I believe there were three levels in the set, if its any help to you guys also confused by this mystery
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

My mistake, on PD it was listed as \"4D CTF 1.1\"
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

heheh.. No, CoD D3 has no 4D areas as I ported it. As in built from scratch. so nope!

Nice find Jake! There was a D2 level called \"gate\" that was made by Gold Knight many years ago. Its very well done. It's not on Pd but I'll e-mail it to anyone interested.
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

i just downloaded and played 4D CTF 1.1 and its not the level set im searching for, although this level utilizes the same \"4D\" weirdness

thanks for the find though, d3jake - i wasnt aware this particular level was even made!
QuestionableChaos
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

i found the level set :D

called \"Higher Thinking\" by Starkiller and Skyalmian

if you haven't played thisbefore, i recommend giving it a try

http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files ... ?level=292
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Trying to find 4-Dimensional levels

Post by Sedwick »

QuestionableChaos wrote:I remember one level was like a donut, only it took three full travels around inside to get back to where you "started"
Pointy Nipples? That one had two overlapping rings that joined in the middle.

I also remember one where you started out in a large cubic room with a cube hovering in the center, and each side of the inner cube had all doors that opened into its own tunnel to an outer room. I'd like to create a level that simulates a folded hypercube...

Only thing that annoyed me about that level was that areas sharing the same 3-D space did interact slightly. I'd sit in the large cube doing nothing, facing one of the doors and sharing space with one of the tunnels, when my shields would silently take a hit, as if colliding with or being shot at by a bot in that tunnel. Anyone else playing a 4D level come across this phenomenon?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yes, I ran into that in a single-player level of mine quite by accident (I didn't realise the areas intersected). Robots can fire at you from the other area, you don't hear anything but take damage all the same.

It's basically an artefact of Descent's collision detection - in normal use it works fine, but in so-called \"4D\" levels it does run into problems.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

Between 4D rooms, enemy fire cannot really hit you crossing the overlapping space. Homings can track you, but they won't hit as well.
This at least counts for the original game on the Rebirth versions.

However there are other tricks and stuff how to mutate the level space... so I can't say when these hits actually occur...
I still speculate that the existence of these 4D levels was never meant by PARALLAX and the actual bug... even if these levels are pretty cool.

Please keep in mind in XL and Rebirth, 4D rooms may show some texture errors (seeing textures from overlapping room into the one you are into). OpenGL just cannot deal with this... effect correctly.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

They can hit you in standard D2. Had it happen to me before.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

I need to re-check that. If you face such a level, can you PM me the name of it? I would be interesed in the structure.... I know a homer once could not hit me... I was surprised when I heard the locking sound all the time but no impact...
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

levels of the world came with a interesting level-\"magicbox\" with 4d effects.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Obsidian level 6 had an area where robots would shoot you through intersecting geometry, at the top of the boss room. I didn't spot it until after the mission was released to the public.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

There is another LOTW level that had 4d effects called In Square Out.
Sedwick
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Sedwick »

Sapphire Wolf wrote:There is another LOTW level that had 4d effects called In Square Out.
That's the one I was talking about, with the big cubic room.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ooohh the one with the cube floating in the middle?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Yep