The Enemy Within Descent 2 Mission Release Thread!!!

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well I did the best with what I had. :P I tried to at least make the entire soundtrack 'consistent' in sound. So in that respect, I think I succeeded.
zico
DXX Master
DXX Master

Post by zico »

The soundtrack is definetive another surpreme part of the set.
And very consistent as well.

Thx by the way for telling me where Lvl1 music comes from. I should have knows it's a Shoot'em'Up - love these games and their music. ;)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I found a small mistake in the level 26 briefing. I think you wanted to say \"Cease and desist\", not \"Seize and desist\".
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Meh. Semantics. :P Thanks for the catch though. It'll stay in, just because its a legit mistake and its funny.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

It's not the only typo in there, believe me. :mrgreen:
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

o_O Curses. What good are you testers then?! :lol:
Bagheera
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bagheera »

lets see ive had this mission set for about 2 months now...got to the (player)mega/flash missile boss and said fckit...anyone else quit from frustration?
The BP Pilot.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yes.

(Not me though.)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Which boss was that now? Its been so long I've forgotten.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I'm still playing this level set and it's amazing. Some levels remind me of D2 levels but it's very well done.
Bagheera
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Bagheera »

I forget the level number all i do remeber is that the boss room has several doors, each of which when you open them you are greeted with a wall of omega and boss homing flash missiles/and or 3 to 4 player megas(which are so kind as to home in on you in a nearly 360 degree arc). I was unfortunate enough to have most of my missiles trapped in the room itself with the boss and the dozens of minibosses....

All i could think to myself was...\"overkill much?\"

Youve got some pretty dammed interesting maps, but going around blind corners only to be greeted by a salvo of player smart missiles gets very old very quickly...

if your going to have the bots with uber buttrape Weps at the very least have them drop some higher end stuff more often..i have NEVER in my entire time playing descent run completely out of EVERYTHING untill I played these maps. I (and quite a few other pilots) have shied away from your newer stuff fearing starting level 1 and getting spammed by some ITSC with player gauss and earthshakers....Yeah shure its an interesting challenge, but when you have that and player smarts, flash missiles and some energy drain bots up the wazoo and a matcen making God knows what it becomes pretty dammed frustrating
The BP Pilot.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well Bahagad Outbreak and Lost Levels are still reasonable in difficulty. And my latest set: Descent Vignettes is for Descent 1, so there isn't too much there that could make it harder than Enemy Within. So yes, I agree with you, Enemy Within is my hardest set made. (I still must give credit to other designers who helped, I didn't make all of it) If we were to make an overhaul revamp of the robots, I'd have to get Sirius back on the job since he did such a fine job of doing each level's HXM file. I'd mess up somewhere with the animated textures for each robot and they wouldn't animate in-game. So he'd have to be the one to help me out with redoing each HXM file.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Well I'm posting up videos of all the levels of Enemy Within, revealing all secrets and secret levels!
So far only levels 1-4 and the first secret level are up, but over the course of the week, more will be coming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkflamewo ... 8D6ED1754E
Terminal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Terminal »

I've been working my way through this campaign on-and-off for about a year (on rookie) and I'm only on level 20.
I'm loving this set: great job everyone who worked on it.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Well, I hope the videos have been enlightening so far on the various secrets you may or may not have found in the early levels. As for you liking the set, thanks! A lot of work was poured into it. Kudos to everyone who contributed, it is THE biggest level set out that for Descent that I know of.
As far as other sets go, if you're into Descent 1, try Descent Vignettes, its brand new (newer than Enemy Within anyway) and has some good solid gameplay that isn't near as hard as Enemy Within is.
gameaddict11707
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by gameaddict11707 »

Huh. For some reason, GAME26.MID doesn't want to play, even though it's in the .SNG file. Can anyone shed some light on this? :(
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

if you're playing in d1x rebirth, its a limitation Zico put into the engine because it was present in the original. You couldn't go past 25 midis in the original Descent. D2X-XL breaks those rules and you can have as many songs/levels as you want.
gameaddict11707
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by gameaddict11707 »

Ah, okay. Thanks! 'Cause in my other >25 level set, \"Ascent\" needs game26 & 27 in its' sng file. :)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Geez, after a long break in not uploading any videos due to Youtube's annotation server going down, They've finally fixed the problem and I can resume uploading and annotating! Level 23 Part 1 finally has commentary to it and parts 2 and 3 will be uploaded tonight! The rest must wait for later though. :(
Oh well.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Posting up the last video of this amazing set on Youtube. Hope everyone has learned a few extra secrets while watching the videos!
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I feel bad, because I haven't done TEW yet. I tried to get D2X-XL up and running a while ago, but it was too frusterating, so I used D1X for D1, and kind of forgot about D2 all together. One of these days, I WILL play TEW. Mark my words. 8)
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You don't need D2X-XL to play TEW - any version you can get to run should work. XL does look better of course.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Yeah, the only thing that doesn't quite work in any version OTHER than d2x-xl is probably the music soundtrack. You really won't be able to hear music from level 25 onward that's new. Since the original game cuts it at level 24. It is something Zico is pondering over if he wants to alter for rebirth, but its probably not going to happen and so your soundtrack will reload itself back to level 1's music. Level 25 and 26 have different music than the rest of the set, which loops on a 6-track set.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Sirius wrote:You don't need D2X-XL to play TEW - any version you can get to run should work. XL does look better of course.
Yes, I was planning on running D2X. I'll play it through D2X-XL if I can get it to work right, but the installation was very complicated. With D1X, I just had to copy and paste 2 or 3 files. I got XL to work for a while, but it started...I don't know, not working quite right. I'll take another look at it.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Is this still available?
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

Thanks!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

And hopefully it'll always be available. Also, if you have any questions, comments or concerns about the set Alpha Dog, feel free to post them here.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

I'm on level 25 at the moment, and I'll like to send kudos to all the level designers. I love the story, the level designs are creative, unique, and enjoyable, and the bots look good.

I *loved* A Road That Leads. Simply amazing.
Only a couple critisms to make:

1) The first 4 bosses are impossibly easy. You give the player an invunrability, which turned my strategy into gauss\\plasma + flash missles + charge into bosses face. Since I'm invincible, it takes no skill and works every time.

2) Effectively every robot has an energy pulse, this gets old really fast and is more frusterating then fun.

3) Several levels had annoying triggers in order to continue your progress, or hard to find hidden doors. \"Into The Deep\" for example, was incredibly frusterating to find the door that led down to the bottom half of the level. Secret doors are for powerups and secret levels, not the level itself. I also remember a level (6-8, somewhere near there) that hid the reactor behind 3 walls, and could only be opened by a control panal on the underside of a small overhang on the opposite side of the room. There was no indicator that a trigger was there, so I spent a long time wandering around trying to find it. Again, this was more frusterating than fun.

4) Too much stuff dropped shields, not enough dropped vulcan ammo\\energy. I'm playing through on Rookie, my usual difficulty, and I keep slingshotting between low health and 200 because so many bots give me shields. In addition, I find myself without any primaries a lot of the time.

5) I'm at level 25 at the moment, and am getting more frusterated with each attempt. I'm all for hard boss rooms, it's the best aspect of Descent in my opinion. But because Kalki attacks home, and the boss fires half a dozen megas, coupled with the insane homing abilities of everything in D2, it's unplayable once you run out of cloaks\\invunrabilities. Maybe the boss is only weak from a certain area or to certain weapons, but even after killing most the kalki's in the room I still can't blow him up.

6) I thought the theif was a dumb idea anyway, but I understand wanting to have a small, superfast one. Giving him an energy pulse was a bad idea. He's attackable only with gauss now, and since he drops no ammo for the gun, his only purpose is to waste your ammo when he steals your quad lasers (is that the only thing he takes?, that, plus your afterburner?)
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

The level design in the set reminds me of the Sonic games (especially Sonic Heroes)... I even made my own soundtrack for it with some of the OSTs from Sonic Heroes and Sonic 2006.

It seems the thief only steals my afterburner when I chase him with it... then he'll come up to me and I swear there's an evil gleam in his eye just before he steals it.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Stroodles wrote:I'm on level 25 at the moment, and I'll like to send kudos to all the level designers. I love the story, the level designs are creative, unique, and enjoyable, and the bots look good.

1) The first 4 bosses are impossibly easy. You give the player an invunrability, which turned my strategy into gauss\\plasma + flash missles + charge into bosses face. Since I'm invincible, it takes no skill and works every time.
On higher skill levels, they can be quite deadly. I remember boss 2 and boss 4 being pretty brutal.

2) Effectively every robot has an energy pulse, this gets old really fast and is more frusterating then fun.
Well be glad I took away the pulses from the Mantids, they original had them too. And I think there is far less robots with energy pulse than you think. I know the Warlord, Golem, Fulcrum have pulses. Maybe Kalki? The higher end robots do.

3) Several levels had annoying triggers in order to continue your progress, or hard to find hidden doors. "Into The Deep" for example, was incredibly frusterating to find the door that led down to the bottom half of the level. Secret doors are for powerups and secret levels, not the level itself. I also remember a level (6-8, somewhere near there) that hid the reactor behind 3 walls, and could only be opened by a control panal on the underside of a small overhang on the opposite side of the room. There was no indicator that a trigger was there, so I spent a long time wandering around trying to find it. Again, this was more frusterating than fun.
That would be level 6. Sirius made that level...blame him. >_>

4) Too much stuff dropped shields, not enough dropped vulcan ammo\\energy. I'm playing through on Rookie, my usual difficulty, and I keep slingshotting between low health and 200 because so many bots give me shields. In addition, I find myself without any primaries a lot of the time.
Really? I felt I didn't have enough shields...

5) I'm at level 25 at the moment, and am getting more frusterated with each attempt. I'm all for hard boss rooms, it's the best aspect of Descent in my opinion. But because Kalki attacks home, and the boss fires half a dozen megas, coupled with the insane homing abilities of everything in D2, it's unplayable once you run out of cloaks\\invunrabilities. Maybe the boss is only weak from a certain area or to certain weapons, but even after killing most the kalki's in the room I still can't blow him up.
He is basically a boss 6, you have to shoot him from behind. So Shaker missiles work great here, as do Smart Missiles. Cloaking helps too.

6) I thought the theif was a dumb idea anyway, but I understand wanting to have a small, superfast one. Giving him an energy pulse was a bad idea. He's attackable only with gauss now, and since he drops no ammo for the gun, his only purpose is to waste your ammo when he steals your quad lasers (is that the only thing he takes?, that, plus your afterburner?)
Well the thief is a wily bastard. But with D2X-XL, you can turn off the thief!
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

:)

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Stroodles wrote:I'm on level 25 at the moment, and I'll like to send kudos to all the level designers. I love the story, the level designs are creative, unique, and enjoyable, and the bots look good.

On higher skill levels, they can be quite deadly. I remember boss 2 and boss 4 being pretty brutal.

Well be glad I took away the pulses from the Mantids, they original had them too. And I think there is far less robots with energy pulse than you think. I know the Warlord, Golem, Fulcrum have pulses. Maybe Kalki? The higher end robots do.

3) Several levels had annoying triggers in order to continue your progress, or hard to find hidden doors. "Into The Deep" for example, was incredibly frusterating to find the door that led down to the bottom half of the level. Secret doors are for powerups and secret levels, not the level itself. I also remember a level (6-8, somewhere near there) that hid the reactor behind 3 walls, and could only be opened by a control panal on the underside of a small overhang on the opposite side of the room. There was no indicator that a trigger was there, so I spent a long time wandering around trying to find it. Again, this was more frusterating than fun.
That would be level 6. Sirius made that level...blame him. >_>

Really? I felt I didn't have enough shields...

He is basically a boss 6, you have to shoot him from behind. So Shaker missiles work great here, as do Smart Missiles. Cloaking helps too.

Well the thief is a wily bastard. But with D2X-XL, you can turn off the thief!
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stroodles »

Well, I played through on Rookie. I could probably do better, as I beat the set without dying at all, but it's always been the most fun difficulty for me. In other news, I finally beat it. Apparently shooting the purple spaceship of death in the back *is* the answer =P.

Loved the sunspire. Grabbed the first cloak, toasted all the kalki's and their spawns on the first level. Then I sniped the golems above them. Then I used guided missles to kill all the warlords up top, so it was just the boss.

Out of curiositiy, what is he immune against? I always got the \"invincibility\" noise when I hit him with earthshakers, but energy weapons seemed to work, and so did lower end missles (I ran out of energy and killed him with flash missles-his earthshaker killed me as he died, but I respawned before he exploded :lol: ). How do his immunities work?

One other question is about the homing missle d00ds. I read their \"flurries of missles\" description, and it wasn't until the last couple levels that they started charging and firing off 6 or 7 missles as opposed to the regular two. How did you get *that* to work?

In addition, I loved the ending and the credits. Didn't expect the twist....I always thought Darkhorse was eeeevil though.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Level 6? You didn't need to open the reactor doors to destroy that (not by intention, but nonetheless). The control panel should have been fairly well-lit, too.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Stroodles wrote: One other question is about the homing missle d00ds. I read their "flurries of missles" description, and it wasn't until the last couple levels that they started charging and firing off 6 or 7 missles as opposed to the regular two. How did you get *that* to work?
Probably just set the AI to "snipe". Try doing that with some robots in your levels... BPer bots and the D2 spiders in particular can be really... brutal. In DLE XP the box is called AI. In DMB2 I think it's called behaviour (it's on the object toolbar/toolbox).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

P.S. Think Brightwater Caverns was 7 - 6 was Pumo's I think, the one with lots of circles. I'd say \"Merry Go Rounded\" but I might be thinking of something else.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re:

Post by Alter-Fox »

Sirius wrote:...I'd say "Merry Go Rounded" but I might be thinking of something else.
I remember that was the name of level 6.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Well, it could be level 6 or level 7 that he may be talking about Sirius. Both have switches that open up the reactors. So, we really don't know yet.
As for the final boss immunities, he's a Boss 5. Meaning, all material based weaponry does no damage. So your shakers and your awesome missiles do just about jack squat to him. So no use hording those bad boys this far. So either use them all up on level 25's boss or as you're clearing out level 26. Because they are worthless against the final boss. Use your energy based weaponry to kill him.
I thought it was an evil move to make the final boss immune to your most deadliest weapons. :twisted:
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Xfing »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Well, it could be level 6 or level 7 that he may be talking about Sirius. Both have switches that open up the reactors. So, we really don't know yet.
As for the final boss immunities, he's a Boss 5. Meaning, all material based weaponry does no damage. So your shakers and your awesome missiles do just about jack squat to him. So no use hording those bad boys this far. So either use them all up on level 25's boss or as you're clearing out level 26. Because they are worthless against the final boss. Use your energy based weaponry to kill him.
I thought it was an evil move to make the final boss immune to your most deadliest weapons. :twisted:
Excuse me, but didn't Parallax make Earthshakers actually energy weapons?
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Nope. E/D were a cluster bomb of 8 megas.