* FAQ    * Search  * Register * Login 
Active topics
Unanswered topics

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Re: Descent 1 1/2
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:47 am 
DBB Master
DBB Master

It's queued up behind another level I'm working on. Thankfully that one is nearing completion though (it'll have to be, I only have about 190 cubes of space left...).

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:18 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Sirius wrote:
It's queued up behind another level I'm working on. Thankfully that one is nearing completion though (it'll have to be, I only have about 190 cubes of space left...).

Sweet :)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:37 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Sirius wrote:
My guess is that the hostage rescue count increments until you reach an end-level score screen, whichever that happens to be. How full rescue is determined is another interesting question - it might just trigger if you have hostages on board and there are none left in the level, but I couldn't be sure it doesn't count how many you have versus either the base or current level.

From playing through D1 and 2 on a livestream, I learned that a full rescue bonus occurs only if you have all hostages on board when the level ends. If you die at all before that, the hostages are lost, and so is your bonus!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:58 pm 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Kaizerwolf wrote:
Sirius wrote:
My guess is that the hostage rescue count increments until you reach an end-level score screen, whichever that happens to be. How full rescue is determined is another interesting question - it might just trigger if you have hostages on board and there are none left in the level, but I couldn't be sure it doesn't count how many you have versus either the base or current level.

From playing through D1 and 2 on a livestream, I learned that a full rescue bonus occurs only if you have all hostages on board when the level ends. If you die at all before that, the hostages are lost, and so is your bonus!

I know that, I was wondering how secret levels factor into this, if at all. Counterstrike does have some hostages in the secret level in Limefrost.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm 
The Feline Menace

Well I know if you go through the level "normally" (so that it's always on countdown) you get the rescue bonus after you leave the secret level. Which is probably all Parallax had in mind since IIRC that was the only secret with hostages.
If you do the guided missile trick then I'm not sure. Relatively easy for someone of your caliber to test I imagine. :)

Also beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:09 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Alter-Fox wrote:
Well I know if you go through the level "normally" (so that it's always on countdown) you get the rescue bonus after you leave the secret level. Which is probably all Parallax had in mind since IIRC that was the only secret with hostages.
If you do the guided missile trick then I'm not sure. Relatively easy for someone of your caliber to test I imagine. :)

For some reason I totally can't be arsed to do it :P

(I like the word "arse" a lot, it's realy badarse) :D

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:15 pm 
The Feline Menace

Did you ever make a decision on whether Spike can be introduced in Frosted Abyss?
I thought he fit that level pretty well especially if Fusion Hulk will be held off for so much later

Also beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden and http://vertigofox.bandcamp.com

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Screens from progress on level 48, currently codenamed "Reactor: Ohm" at this time.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 4:10 pm 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I really like the texturing! Reminds me of my own N'tala, except there are reds instead of purples.

As for Spikes - yeah, maybe they can be introduced in that level, since the Omega Cannon they drop isn't really among the most powerful weapons in the game. Other than that, I just want the difficulty progression to be linear.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:49 pm 
The Feline Menace

Well, difficulty wise there's definitely at least one thing using omega on you in that map anyway, and spike doesn't have homing flash missiles. :P

BTW, I realized today that I've been sitting on a pretty big collection of midi versions of the same NIN songs that were used as inspiration by many of the guys who wrote D1's and D2's midis. If we do end up with a level where none of the Descent midis seem to fit well enough I could try and find one in there. Some of them might need some adjustments but those shouldn't be difficult.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Alter-Fox wrote:
Well, difficulty wise there's definitely at least one thing using omega on you in that map anyway, and spike doesn't have homing flash missiles. :P

BTW, I realized today that I've been sitting on a pretty big collection of midi versions of the same NIN songs that were used as inspiration by many of the guys who wrote D1's and D2's midis. If we do end up with a level where none of the Descent midis seem to fit well enough I could try and find one in there. Some of them might need some adjustments but those shouldn't be difficult.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. There are so many midis to choose from that every level should have something that fits. Using the assets from the original two games is a big part of the nostalgia factor this mission needs to have.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:43 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Found a couple of things to fix/clean up in Coolyard...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwhA940YudYdbWZkNlBNQk9mdFE
Changes: A trap was added, a secret was made accessible, and a secret door was changed to become secret.

Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:23 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

And how exactly am I supposed to get that Super Laser if the wall closes the moment I approach it from any angle?

Oh right, I remembered now - you gotta be close by. Quite devilish, but deservedly so I'd say :3

Yeah, at least now there are no inaccessible cubes in the level, I'll take it from here. The changes that need to be made are relatively minor, mostly some slight texture variance improvement and trimming down some cubes from the zigzag portions.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:00 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I can't help it. You can't keep me away forever :P
Charon Orbital Research
I tried to draw inspiration from what made D1 level 27 Charon Volatile Mine, while adding some original twists and turns to every aspect. There's even a couple cave-y segments.

Surprise! (Unless you're not using the default scheme...)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Quote:
I tried to draw inspiration from what made D1 level 27 Charon Volatile Mine, while adding some original twists and turns to every aspect. There's even a couple cave-y segments.

Yeah, let's see:
- the hexagonal dropshaft
- the three keys all next to each other and visible from the hall
- the shape of the reactor room
- the two walled off goodie caches visible from a pink room

Don't you think the odds of two mines so similar being built on Charon are kinda low? (and no, don't say anything about serial or modular construction or I'm gonna lose it). At what point did I ever say that this project was meant to emulate the original game to this degree? Not even in Doom The Way Id Did did the mappers make such blatant homages to previous levels. This could maybe fly only as a reimagination of First Strike's levels, there's no way I'm including this level here. Not a chance.

And it's a bit of a shame, since except for your usual lazy winding tunnel abuse, it's reasonably well-made. You even used the descent.pig and the template for D1 monitors, which would have saved me the trouble of converting the level to Descent 2, had it actually counted. You're wasting my time, but more importantly, you're wasting yours.

LightWolf wrote:
I can't help it. You can't keep me away forever :P

I've humored your shenanigans for long, but right now I'm 100% convinced you're a troll. This project has been going on for so long there's no way you shouldn't be familiar with the ins and outs of the design policy. It's weird that getting a rise out of me and the others is so much fun for you, taking into account the not inconsiderable amount of work you had to put into making this level. But after some levels you made that were passable in both design and gameplay it's hard for me to accept such creative regression as inadvertent, so I can only think you're doing this on purpose.

Please focus on your own projects from now on, seriously man.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:02 pm 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Xfing wrote:

I've humored your shenanigans for long, but right now I'm 100% convinced you're a troll. This project has been going on for so long there's no way you shouldn't be familiar with the ins and outs of the design policy. It's weird that getting a rise out of me and the others is so much fun for you, taking into account the not inconsiderable amount of work you had to put into making this level. But after some levels you made that were passable in both design and gameplay it's hard for me to accept such creative regression as inadvertent, so I can only think you're doing this on purpose.

Whatever level you had asked me to look at of his way back, I can't do it. I tried to make do with it, tried to change things up, but fundamentally, the level is awful. Without scrapping everything and starting again, I can't fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:01 pm 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Kaizerwolf wrote:
Xfing wrote:

Whatever level you had asked me to look at of his way back, I can't do it. I tried to make do with it, tried to change things up, but fundamentally, the level is awful. Without scrapping everything and starting again, I can't fix it.

No harm done, we'll just retire the level and free up the spot. Thanks for trying anyway :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:51 am 
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

On the off-chance you're just some kid that's genuinely desperate to fit in, LightWolf... I get it, and I've seen people like you around before, but this isn't how you go about it in a creative environment. If you really want your stuff accepted, you have to rise to meet Xfing's standards, not halfass it and hope that he lowers his standards. It's his project, after all, so you might as well focus on your own stuff if you don't want to conform to someone else's vision.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 am 
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Naphtha wrote:
If you really want your stuff accepted, you have to rise to meet Xfing's standards, not halfass it and hope that he lowers his standards.

Not that my standards are particularly high or very creatively constraining, we've already got tons of very different maps ready to go, three of which are his. And I always ask the best mappers for their opinions anyway, so it's not like I make the decisions entirely on my own. But yeah, there is a certain level of effort I require, no shortcuts.