Descent 1 1/2

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: Descent 1 1/2

Post by homeyduh »

Haumea is now up in the Dropbox in the Level 15 folder. Hope you guys like it!
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Twitter: @homeyduh
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

homeyduh wrote:Haumea is now up in the Dropbox in the Level 15 folder. Hope you guys like it!
Oopsie, looks like the PIG is wrong and you forgot to put the old textures back in after the conversion :P

EDIT: Some D1 textures actually seem to be in, but the lunar gray got replaced by the other gray rock indiscriminately - considerin both appear in the mine pre-conversion, you should probably convert the level again and ask DLE to convert the lunar gray into something different, then you'll be able to change up that texture more easily. Also, the spider monitors need to be changed to the impromptu version I scraped up for the POG, otherwise their breaking animation is horrible. And make sure you use descent.pig, not groupa.pig for the conversion.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Kaizerwolf
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kaizerwolf »

Haumea looks fantastic. Probably the coolest approach to/reactor room I've ever flown through. I saw a few misaligned floors and walls here and there, I can maybe fix those up sometime if you want. The other thing is, the grates surrounding the reactor are only one sided walls; you can see clear through the other sides of the cage.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Kaizerwolf wrote:Haumea looks fantastic. Probably the coolest approach to/reactor room I've ever flown through. I saw a few misaligned floors and walls here and there, I can maybe fix those up sometime if you want. The other thing is, the grates surrounding the reactor are only one sided walls; you can see clear through the other sides of the cage.
This is correct, I can verify this.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

I did the one side grates because the reactor was having trouble shooting me lol :P I could make it normal. I'll go ahead and fix the textures too. Yeah, when I was editing the textures, I accidentally clicked GroupA, but I couldn't change it to Descent.PIG :(

Thanks for the praise though :)
6DoF mapper, Descent 1 and 2 fan, Sonic/Samus/Kirby main in Super Smash Bros 4, and all-around nice guy.

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

homeyduh wrote:I did the one side grates because the reactor was having trouble shooting me lol :P I could make it normal. I'll go ahead and fix the textures too. Yeah, when I was editing the textures, I accidentally clicked GroupA, but I couldn't change it to Descent.PIG :(

Drop me a PM when you're done, I wanna try something out and see what you think about it, but I need the ready D2 level for it :P
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

I saw a story about it, and I think you should replace Kuiper Belt Espionage Facility with S/2015 (136472) 1 Espionage Facility. When I first heard of it, I thought that it would be a pretty cool name for a secret level.

S/2015 (136472) 1 was the recently-discovered moon of Makemake. (If you do this, then there should for sure be an alt. exit in Makemake Mining Shaft)
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Xfing wrote:
homeyduh wrote:I did the one side grates because the reactor was having trouble shooting me lol :P I could make it normal. I'll go ahead and fix the textures too. Yeah, when I was editing the textures, I accidentally clicked GroupA, but I couldn't change it to Descent.PIG :(

Drop me a PM when you're done, I wanna try something out and see what you think about it, but I need the ready D2 level for it :P

What are you gonna try?! O.O

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

homeyduh wrote:
Xfing wrote:

What are you gonna try?! O.O
Nothing evil, you'll see :D
Kaizerwolf
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kaizerwolf »

Two questions, since it's been a minute since I started a new map with the custom pogs.

1. Should I set level 29 (Salt Distillation Facility) to the ice.pig file?
2. What custom POG goes with that pig?
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

haumea has been updated :)

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Kaizerwolf wrote:Two questions, since it's been a minute since I started a new map with the custom pogs.

1. Should I set level 29 (Salt Distillation Facility) to the ice.pig file?
2. What custom POG goes with that pig?
1. It's in Limefrost Spiral, so yes
2. D1GR4.POG
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

homeyduh wrote:haumea has been updated :)
Looks like you still couldn't manage to get descent.pig to work. Oh, no harm done. I'd like to tell you something anyway.

I took the last D1 version you submitted and made those changes I told you about:

- shifted everything to one plane while maintaining the slanted slope tunnel beyond the blue door
- had to truncate/transform some areas to make sure there are no collisions
- likewise had to lengthen some tunnels
- fixed torsion on some doors (they were twisted a few degrees relative to what they should be)
- fixed texturing problems, gave doors appropriate background textures like the room they're in

Now it looks all nice and tidy on the automap, at no noticeable cost to gameplay and feeling (though there are some twisted cubes when the sloped area meets the side areas, which were shifted to the main plane). I still have a problem with not being able to shoot through the grate in the hostage cell from the inside, but I'll fix this later. The level is not converted yet - I can do it myself to save you the trouble but first I need you to play through the level and see if you're comfortable with the changes I made. It's in the same folder as your file and is called haumea_alt.

Feedback from others on the changes is also welcome!
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

homeyduh wrote:I did the one side grates because the reactor was having trouble shooting me lol :P I could make it normal.
I know I'm a bit late, but if you want to cheat I'd recommend making the reverse side illusion rather than just not being there at all. Though I think some players would get a little annoyed with that regardless - it's probably safer to position the grate textures such that there are gaps over the reactor's gunpoints.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:
homeyduh wrote:I did the one side grates because the reactor was having trouble shooting me lol :P I could make it normal.
I know I'm a bit late, but if you want to cheat I'd recommend making the reverse side illusion rather than just not being there at all. Though I think some players would get a little annoyed with that regardless - it's probably safer to position the grate textures such that there are gaps over the reactor's gunpoints.
No solution is really optimal here. I'd go with a nicely aligned grate from both sides to sacrifice the reactor's reach for believability and architectural robustness. There's gonna be plenty of robots in that room due to its size, so it's not such a big deal.

Alternatively, we could just remove 2 of the grates on the sides of the matcens, to provide the player with a tactical decision - to attack efficiently from a threatened position or attack from relative safety but with more difficult aiming.
homeyduh
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by homeyduh »

Xfing wrote:
Sirius wrote:
No solution is really optimal here. I'd go with a nicely aligned grate from both sides to sacrifice the reactor's reach for believability and architectural robustness. There's gonna be plenty of robots in that room due to its size, so it's not such a big deal.

Alternatively, we could just remove 2 of the grates on the sides of the matcens, to provide the player with a tactical decision - to attack efficiently from a threatened position or attack from relative safety but with more difficult aiming.
I like that idea good sir. Just need to give the bot makers more triggers in that case

Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

homeyduh wrote: I like that idea good sir. Just need to give the bot makers more triggers in that case
That'll be up to you, then. But I've also received some feedback about the texturing from Alter-Fox so I'll correct these things first and then I'll let you know. This can probably wait until after the conversion.

EDIT: Done the fixes. I'll convert the level tomorrow or something.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

LightWolf (a long time ago) wrote: I actually have a 4+1-level [mission in building].
It's practically finished, except for weapons.
If anyone who actually has some decent skill with weapon balance wants to help, just shoot me a PM and I will get you a copy ASAIC.

I'm posting here because it's not quite ready for its own forum yet.
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Yes it is. Don't derail.
If nothing else make one thread for it now and another when it is ready.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, Haumea converted to D2. You can make those matcen trigger changes in the final room at your leisure, homeyduh :)

EDIT: Guess what, it probably won't be necessary after all. Lowering the reactor to make it on around the level of the player largely solves the problem - most of its shots make it through the grates, so it's still a threat. I therefore restored all the grates. Let's not worry about the matcens, we'll be putting regular robots in there as well after all.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Honestly I still like the tactical decision angle.
It means you can play the map differently on your second playthrough.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Well we could probably go with it, but it's really hard to choose a good wall, given the geometry. A solid wall with those square grates in it as a secondary won't do due to the shape of the segment's wall.

We could make a small exception and use the mesh grate from D2 (metl146). It's a very universal and helpful texture from a utilitarian point of view. Although its ubiquity in D2 contributes greatly to setting D2 apart from D1 atmospherically, since it's absent in D1 - for all intents and purposes the texture belongs in D1, as it is intrinsically part of for example exit01, where it covers the inner section of the metal panel. The same grate also functions in the exit door as well as door14, seen when they open. D2 only took this concept and evolved it further, into the standalone texture, the grated door34 and door32, which wouldn't look out of place in a D1 level at all.

So yeah, these are my mental gymnastics to convince myself it's acceptable to use the grate for the reactor. It's only one instance and I don't think it would break the character of the level, and it would benefit gameplay greatly.

I used two instances of door34 in my Eris level for example - in both cases it was dictated by how it would feel inappropriate to have the regular door of the level there (door14) due to how it opens in all directions, while in some directions there wasn't enough wall to disappear into - this was Alter-Fox's feedback. So I simply replaced these doors with the grated door and had it open horizontally rather than vertically (both variants were present in Parallax levels I think) which solved this problem.

We could also think of the fact that these levels take place on worlds not featured in First Strike, so minor, slight divergences from the "100% D1" rule might be pardonable in case of these particular levels :D
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok - replaced the wall with the mesh grate, left the reactor open matcen-side and altered the geometry a tiny bit to better accomodate the reactor (the D1 reactors only look good if they've got cubes both below and above them due to the protruding tube).

homeyduh, you can now add those additional matcen triggers if you feel like it :D
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

OK, with a project (mostly) off my plate, I decided to attempt Varuna.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwhA9 ... GZBcV91bFU
(Notice where it does NOT go. :P )

I know it fits Makemake's texture scheme better, but I guess it's too late anyway. If it is too short, I know where I can make it longer at the expense of the concept for that room.

The boss arena should seem familiar (and I got rid of the parts that received negative feedback), leaving a perfect little area for the D1 Level 7 Quartzon boss.

I hope you like it :)
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

How many slots have you got left Lightwolf?
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:How many slots have you got left Lightwolf?
I guess that would be the last one. I'll check it out in the morning, gotta get some sleep like, now :x
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

LightWolf wrote: I know it fits Makemake's texture scheme better, but I guess it's too late anyway.
Nah, actually it doesn't. Makemake is supposed to be pink, not purple. Instead the level feels very Plutonian. Purple is in general the hallmark of Pluto/Charon levels in Descent.
If it is too short, I know where I can make it longer at the expense of the concept for that room.
What is too short? You don't mean the winding corridor that leads to the boss room, do you? Because that is way too long actually. What is too short is the level, once again a Maximum or even Vignette-sized effort at best. We're making full-sized levels here mate, even the super-short levels like 1 and 2 have tons of areas more than this here does. I believe I mentioned more than thrice that the levels are supposed to be big.
The boss arena should seem familiar (and I got rid of the parts that received negative feedback), leaving a perfect little area for the D1 Level 7 Quartzon boss.
Yeah, the boss area itself is quite decent, and has the potential to be memorable. Too bad the level around it feels like a small afterthought at best. I mean the geometry is passable and has that crass D1 feel to it, but I can see this took a few hours to make at best. Except the room with the bulbous rock in the middle, which looks a bit too much like the one from D1L7.

The level needs at least 4x as many cubes as it has now. No idea how you can present us with something like this after some of your levels which made the cut actually. Perhaps you need to finally see what standards are expected on the examples of levels by other contributors. Drop me a PM with your mail address, I'll give you access to download and check out the files on Dropbox so you can see what to strive for.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'm not sure that's such a good idea. We've been going through this with him in one form or another since he started last year.

Lightwolf doesn't want to listen to us and he thinks the guidelines don't apply to him. He should be kicked off now -- especially if he's still copying from other maps. If we haven't already, we're not going to convince him to put effort in.
You know me well enough to know I'm not one to say these things lightly.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:I'm not sure that's such a good idea. We've been going through this with him in one form or another since he started last year.

Lightwolf doesn't want to listen to us and he thinks the guidelines don't apply to him. He should be kicked off now -- especially if he's still copying from other maps. If we haven't already, we're not going to convince him to put effort in.
You know me well enough to know I'm not one to say these things lightly.
Well you might be right, it's been plenty long indeed.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

After realizing that the whole scrap-and-restart tactic wasn't working, I decided to fix up a few designs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwhA94 ... sp=sharing

Changes:
- Removed the 100% original, common concept that was the dome room and replaced it with a slightly longer area that includes a hostage cell
- Increased the size of the yellow door by adding a couple rooms beyond it
- Decreased size of the red door tunnel
- Fixed the secret teleporter alternate exit.

Notes:
- There is a gopher chase segment in the blue door - don't be fooled :P
- The blue door also has a seemingly useless tunnel with a mega missile in it - it is meant to be filled with weapons
- I had to use some of Descent's classic secret style (if you don't find any of such secrets, then shame on you :lol: )
- (I'm not talking about cube structures, but their creative use of 14 secret doors in more than 14 wall textures)

Enjoy!
#AllLivesMatter
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Good effort, but the improvements you made are just a drop in an ocean. The level is still not up to par and still too short. I think we'll pass on this one if this is the best you can do. You could use it for some mission of yours though, which I encourage you to do. I'd rather get content from some more established mappers for the remainder of this project.
LightWolf wrote: - Removed the 100% original, common concept that was the dome room and replaced it with a slightly longer area that includes a hostage cell
Are you being passive-aggressive here, or just ironic? Hard to tell, since "100% original" and "common" are kinda mutually exclusive, sooo...
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Ok, just wanted to let y'all know that I'll be gone for the next 2 months or so, with limited access to the net. I might not be able to chime in very often, if at all. Alter-Fox will be keeping an eye on the thread, so if there are any level submissions in the meantime, PM them to him.

Cheers and beers :D
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I'll clear out my inbox some more so I can accept them. :P
My reign of terror begins NOW! :D
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Alter-Fox wrote:My reign of terror begins NOW! :D
Run for your lives! :lol:
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

MUHAHAhaha.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Anyone gonna build a secret level yet?
#AllLivesMatter
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Those are probably best saved for last in a project this big.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Just wanted to say that my access to the net is relatively free, so if anyone's got any submissions, feel free to send them over. No Descent game on my phone though, so I won't be able to assess the level, plus editing the OP might be a little cumbersome for the time being :p

But if you're a good and established mapper, some screenshots (along with one of the automap) will be sufficient for my a-ok.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

And editing the OP is the one part of this I can't do, like, unless somebody makes me a moderator. :lol:
Which isn't gonna happen. :P
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf »

Xfing wrote:No Descent game on my phone though...
I actually posted a suggestion on the Rebirth forum to fix this, and so far the support is 3 in extreme favor and 1 undecided.
#AllLivesMatter