Descent II: First Strike -Beta 1.1-

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderator: Sniper

LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Descent II: First Strike -Beta 1.1-

Post by LightWolf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:51 pm

It's finally here!
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=1444

-CHANGELOG-
Beta 1.1: Fixed a bug that rendered level 5 uncompletable.
-----------------

Fly through the familiar levels of Descent 1 - but with each level having several twists not possible outside of Descent 2.

Beware the two levels that lost their reactor in favor of a boss. Also watch out for boss AI tweaks. :wink:

Notable changes from the demo from years ago:
- The focus of the entire project has changed.
Rather than a direct conversion with D2 robots, each level has been "Descent 2-ified". This comes with weapons, textures, and mechanics.
- Portals are no longer on every level. They are only on select levels.
Where did I get the idea to have a portal on each level anyway?

Hope you enjoy! Leave your comments below - especially where difficulty and use of D2 content are concerned.
Your friendly neighborhood diamond-loving light wolf.
(Who wouldn't love diamonds? They're so strong! Ever wonder why Diamond Claws did so much damage?)
Substance: 5/30 (6/35) Click here!
New Age Mod: Now hiring! Click here!
Xfing
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Descent II: First Strike -Beta 1.0-

Post by Xfing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:27 pm

I'ma take a look. A well-done First Strike in D2 is something I'd happily play :)
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 33/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Xfing
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xfing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:56 pm

2 levels in - gotta say I like the gameplay changes brought to the table by D2. That said - the switches and puzzles necessary to advance create needless linearity, especially in level 1 ( I actually liked the forcefield in level 2).

What's disappointing is that you've changed so little geometry - this new floor texture begs for secret caches! As for the texturing - I quite like it, but I'm surprised you didn't use Pumo's D1 PIG, which you should have access to - it was made for these levels after all, and looks better than GroupA. Another thing you should have full access to are pre-exported D1 textures, so I'm disappointed that you often went with the textures (and especially monitors) that the conversion automatically changed the original textures to, that's kinda lazy.

From a texturing standpoint; if I was doing this, I'd first get the level to look identically to D1 in D2, and only start adding D2 aesthetic elements from then on.

I can respect sticking only to D2 textures though, if that was your intention. But with D2 accepting custom textures and file size not being a factor, I don't see a reason for this kind of purism :P
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Ironically the direct conversion was what levels 1-9 did before I switched plans. As for the lack of PIGs and POGs, I wanted to keep it as vanilla as possible save the boss tweaks.
I'll see if I can cut down the linearity on some levels though.
(Who wouldn't love diamonds? They're so strong! Ever wonder why Diamond Claws did so much damage?)
Xfing
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xfing » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:22 pm

I suggest you set matcens that have multiple activation points to one-shot - one activation per trigger point, since in D2 there is no activation limit on Insane. Like the ones in level 3 for example - there are three or even four activation points for them, and without the one-shot flag every time you fly out of the red room towards the exit in the yellow room, they start spawning again. Not fun.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by LightWolf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Find the secret levels yet? I suggest you find a portal before level 10 for... reasons.
vision
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: Descent II: First Strike -Beta 1.1-

Post by vision » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:43 am

So, are you going to make more changes to this campaign? I'm interested in playing it, but not if it's a beta in disguise. I'm not into that easy-access shit, haha.
This post may have been edited by moderators for content and delivery.
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Descent II: First Strike -Beta 1.1-

Post by LightWolf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:21 am

I am going to be making changes for sure. And it's not a beta in disguise - the thread title literally says it's in beta. I would like your feedback though.