D1 and D2 Anarchy: Crossfire Canyon

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1 and D2 Anarchy: Crossfire Canyon

Post by Naphtha »

Second multiplayer offering, this time in two variants. It was originally only a Descent 1 level, but it was just screaming for Afterburners and Mercury Missiles so I had to create a D2 variant. Crossfire Canyon is a hot desert level with Descent 2 textures in both variants, and actually gets its name from the lava pool formation when the map is viewed from above in the editor. Unlike my first level, Estuary Drought, Crossfire Canyon was instead built with much larger crowds of players in mind and the weapons were placed to suit roughly six players duking it out all at once. There are no secret areas, but you might need to take a bit of a risk to go after the strongest powerups, especially the Mega Missiles.

The weapon placement in the Descent 2 version might strike you as odd at first, especially since I included plenty of weapons that normally do not show up in all that many D2 anarchy levels. But the weapons are also going to feel a little different to you there, because I got Blarget2 and Jihnsius to mod most of them just enough to balance out the entire selection for both single- and multiplayer modes. The idea is that each weapon should now be either well-rounded and average, or excellent in only a select few situations, with no real game-breakers (except, of course, for the Shaker Missile- no sense in trying to balance that! :lol:). Some of the values might be a little off, so consider this level my beta test for the promod, which I'm also planning to include in my upcoming second single player mission.

Special thanks to Blarget2 and Jihnsius for the weapon mod, thanks to the Descent Rangers who helped me test out this level before its release, and thanks to MD-1224 for helping me work around a Rebirth issue with the screenshots. :)

D1 mission download link here:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=646

D2 mission download link here:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=647

And finally, a separate version of the weapons mod. You're free to replace the default D2 .HAM with this file in the main Rebirth folder, just make sure to back up the original!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/77082565/naphtha.ham

First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Sharpie
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: D1 and D2 Anarchy: Crossfire Canyon

Post by Sharpie »

Hello there Naphtha. It was a pleasure gaming with you last night. :) I will be downloading this map today and hoping to start a game tonight with this level. Hope to catch some Descent Ole School peeps playing tonight.

Sharpie out
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Right back at you, that was a fun night for sure. :D I might be a little off about the map size, so four players might fill it better than I thought if it's hard to get a game with more than that.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Sharpie
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Sharpie »

Downloaded the map. I find it to be a good size map for several people. Nice level I must say. Now!!! if I can find some peeps to play it with...it would be cool :lol: