D1 Anarchy: Hybrids of Steel

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D1 Anarchy: Hybrids of Steel

Post by Naphtha »

Yet another new multiplayer level, this time with a bit more of a vertical element to it. It follows the "three areas with connectors" style of Crypts of Eternity, but with more intricate grated-off detail as eye-candy for those of you who pay attention to it. :) This one follows a somewhat techy theme, with mostly green/organic/Puuma Sphere-like flavoring so the level should look something like a cargo depot or base in a partly natural environment. It's a little more angular than my last couple offerings, but that shouldn't be too disruptive to the level flow. Very compact and good for three or four players. Custom MIDI music from Doom II, and custom textures provided by Blarget.

Weapons loadout for the level:
-4 Quad Laser upgrades
-8 Laser level upgrades
-3 Vulcan Cannons
-2 Spreadfire Cannons
-4 Plasma Cannons
-2 Fusion Cannons
-8 Concussion Missiles
-4 Homing Missiles
-12 Proximity Mines
-5 Smart Missiles
-7500 Vulcan Ammo rounds

Download the level here:
http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=678

First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Re: D1 Anarchy: Hybrids of Steel

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't play with MIDI music on anymore, cuz even Rebirth's SC-55 addon sounds waaay better than the crappy midi that comes with Windows. And sometimes I just replace the soundtrack entirely with my own music. :evil: (I'm reinterpreting the ideas behind each of the Project Mandrill songs for the concept album I'm creating to test out my new mic, so I'll be wanting to be replacing soundtracks entirely yet again, sometime soon.) I still listen to midi files from games, but only in players that support soundfonts... I've got some pretty good soundfonts that I use occasionally in my own work!

Then again, if the song is "The Healer Stalks", "Waiting for Romero to Play", "Between Levels", or "Message for the Archvile", I might make an exception...
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

It is in fact "Message for the Archvile," actually. And my other new map, Sound of White Noise, has "Waiting for Romero to Play" so that's two bases covered. :D I do like "The Healer Stalks" as an instrumental, but it doesn't really fit in Descent or even Doom for that matter IMO, so don't expect it to show up any time soon...

I know you're not big on MIDIs, man, but I still make a point to put custom tracks there for those that don't mind them and always try to match them to the level in some sense. I needed an ominous track for Crypts of Eternity so I chose "Shawn's Got the Shotgun" for it, while "Running from Evil" worked for Crionics as a slightly high-energy track. Equally Destructive also had "I Sawed the Demons" from Doom 1 as a high-energy choice, since as basically one big arena with every weapon imaginable, I figured the action would never let up. It's not like I can compose my own music and I don't know any composers who are both available to help out and like to create the kind of music I think fits Descent best, so I make do with what I can. :P
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I certainly could whip up something. It just wouldn't be midi.
In fact, it would rub it in your face that it wasn't midi.

If I was restricted to just midis from Doom (excluding TNT Evilution as you seem to be) I'd have chosen "Between Levels" as a high-energy track for a multiplayer map, just because it has that energy in the percussion but it's a lot simpler than "Running From Evil" so in theory it would stay in the background better during intense fighting.
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.