Boxed ports Descent

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Boxed ports Descent

Post by sigma »

Perhaps I am overly sentimental, but sometimes it's nice to take into the hands of old boxes and disks or floppy. I only have the original box and disks D3, as well as Russian pirated editions. I have not seen box version with port DXX-Rebirth, D2-XXL, ProjectX, and others. They exist at all?
P.S. If this topic has been discussed, please give references.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re: Boxed ports Descent

Post by CDN_Merlin »

There are only boxed version of D1/2/3 and the expansions. Nothing else.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
sigma
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by sigma »

CDN_Merlin wrote:There are only boxed version of D1/2/3 and the expansions. Nothing else.
Thank you. Sincerely sorry to hear that. But why?! :frown:
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Why?

The mods we use today were made about 8 years after the release of D2.
Rebirth and XL were "spring boarded" from D1.40 (a-c) and there was also DX W32?
These were all attempts to fix various issues in Descent and became a big mess from the coding side.
So two different Germans decided to take matters into their own hands and clean this mess up. Like I said, this was long LOOOoong after the you could buy these games in regular stores.

In fact, if I remember correctly, Interplay was in bankruptcy and pretty much a non-entity at the time.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And depending on the license the source code to the games was released under, those projects might not be able to be included in a for-profit retail release. I know the FreeSpace 2 code was released under a strictly non-commercial license.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I wouldn't rule out some capability for Interplay to make that happen - the issue is that the games were already out of print for something like a decade by the time these source ports came along, and there's no way it's going to make sense to produce more boxes at a time when boxed games are on the way out anyway. I'm not sure I've even heard of a classic game being re-released in box form - it's always digital.

If Descent were Doom, things could be different - a 20th anniversary collector's edition box set or something wouldn't be out of the question, though I don't know whether id is planning anything like that either :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Good point Sirius.

Interplay is now in a position where this CAN happen. "Will" it? we'll have to wait and see.