Which old classics do you enjoy? (Single-player campaigns)

The place to promote and link to Descent levels - both multiplayer and singleplayer - D1, D2 and D3.

Moderators: Sniper, Xfing

Which ones do you still enjoy playing (pick all that apply)?

Orion Nebula Project
7%
Entropy Experiment/Entropy 2: Vengeance
11%
Phobos Encounter
7%
Project: Mandrill
7%
Project: H.Y.D.R.O.
11%
Ironstar/blade
7%
Encounter at Farpoint 2: Dimensions
7%
Obsidian
19%
Konflict at Karon
15%
Kryllidian Krusade
7%

Total votes: 27
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Which old classics do you enjoy? (Single-player campaigns)

Post by kakhome1 »

It looks like this might be a more appropriate forum than the single player one, so I'm moving the topic here (and modifying the subject a bit).

Old classic = I'm basically defining this as any campaign released before The Lost Levels (but excluding Bahagad Outbreak since it's by the same author). But I (hopefully) covered all the really well-known ones in the poll options. Which ones do you still enjoy, the ones you feel still hold up best? You can pick unlimited options here, but please only pick ones you legitimately still enjoy.

I had to group a few similar ones together to not run out of options. And I know I left out 'Chasm', but it seemed the most logical one to omit to fit the others in.

Any commentary is always welcome as well!
LightWolf
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: Best of the old classics? (Single-player campaigns)

Post by LightWolf »

Why can't I vote for the 8 that I like?
Whatever I just said, I hope you understood it correctly. Understood what I meant, I mean.
#AllLivesMatter
kakhome1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re: What old classics do you still oy? (Single-player campaigns)

Post by kakhome1 »

I changed this poll to ones you still enjoy and allowed 10 votes (i.e. you could pick all).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Which old classics do you enjoy? (Single-player campaigns)

Post by Sirius »

I'm not really sure how to vote on this one. I've played almost all of them in co-op over the last couple years in various (Rangers) Co-op Saturday events - with the notable exception of Ironstar and Ironblade due to reported issues that appear to make them non-viable in co-op - and can say I enjoyed all of them.

To different degrees, yes. Some are better than others - but they are all worth playing, if you have the time to play them all. Maybe some are more enticing to go back to, but recency (or more specifically lack thereof) is more of a determinant of that to me than quality, unless the mission is actually bad - and none of the above are.
AlexanderBorisov
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AlexanderBorisov »

Sirius wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:06 pm with the notable exception of Ironstar and Ironblade due to reported issues that appear to make them non-viable in co-op
What issues are there in co-op? And have you played those in SP mode? Do you think they are worth it (I am going to play it on Insane difficulty without saves and death as usual)?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Umm... it was either no/insufficient co-op player starts (a very common mistake) or that there was a crash somewhere. Might have been a crash - I forget. I got that info from a report from Whoskyd rather than first-hand - I haven't played them myself.

Edit: Looked it up. Ironblade apparently has only one start position, while Ironstar: "Crashed in a previous attempt, but this might not occur consistently"
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Why are my levels being used as benchmarks for timelines here? -_-
Is it like, all amazing missions before these POS ones were released?