D1 complete level pack for D2 and D3?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Randor244
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

D1 complete level pack for D2 and D3?

Post by Randor244 »

Just wondering, are there any mission packs with all Descent 1 levels for D2 and D3?

Would love that... :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

The d1 missions were converted to d2 many years ago. They're still up on any major level site (thats still up). As for D3, no one has ever finished that mainly due to the insane ammount of scripting required.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

no MD, he means are there any complete packs with all the levels made for each series in like one zip .. or several.

Randor, I don't think so. they would be huge. Probably several gigs each. PlanetDescent has a great selection as does Koolbear. Check out the multiplayer forum. I think there are links to player's data bases.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I wish someone would make for d3 the awesome d1 levels i loved.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Don't we all Behemoth, but that dream will NEVER HAPPEN. People are more interested in making their OWN UNIQUE levels for D3 rather than re-hashing 30~ levels not of their own design or idea.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Randor244 wrote:Just wondering, are there any mission packs with all Descent 1 levels for D2 and D3?

Would love that... :)
Duper wrote:no MD, he means are there any complete packs with all the levels made for each series in like one zip .. or several.
hehe.. Duper, Duper, Duper. :lol: :P

I'm with MD on his interpretation of the question. ;)

D1 to D2 mission pack. Yes.
D1 to D3 mission pack. No. :(

We need a crew from like the Black Mesa Source project to do such a task now days. ;)

IMO that kind of crew is long gone.....for D3 that is. :(
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Don't we all Behemoth, but that dream will NEVER HAPPEN. People are more interested in making their OWN UNIQUE levels for D3 rather than re-hashing 30~ levels not of their own design or idea.
all i wanted was some good old eris, nysa(without all the flashy bc) and maybe IO?
is that too much to ask for?
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

DarkFlameWolf wrote:Don't we all Behemoth, but that dream will NEVER HAPPEN. People are more interested in making their OWN UNIQUE levels for D3 rather than re-hashing 30~ levels not of their own design or idea.
you are welcome to go ahead ;)
all you need is here: http://gameedit.net/custom/GameEdit_OG/index.html
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

good post Floyd.
I've already made my levels for D3, I'm done. :P
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

ok ok.. I'll sit down. :(
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

With a working conversion program it'd be possible to get at least the level meshes and textures from Descent 1 converted to Descent 3 in no time. Without one it's probably two months of full-time work, then you have to add in the robot and weapon models, script the levels and adjust all the physics values. Only thing that can't be ported directly is the lighting.

'Course, the question begs asking - what's the point in porting D1 to D3 when it's so much simpler to just run D1? There must be something you want different besides being able to run it through the D3 executable.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Actually, converting the meshes and textures is relatively easy. (especially if you have a copy of 3D Studio Max) The only hard part would be scripting the levels (like I said earlier). As far as the point of this....why not?
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Why not? Well, perhaps spending time on making original stuff is higher on my priority list.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

I think MD is talking about anyone in general, not you specifically. Personally, I would like to see what the levels would \"really\" look like. I HIGHLY doubt that mines were made of cubes, devoid of equipment and riddled with 2 dimensional walls and doors.

My imagination was working on overdrive doing this when I first played Descent. It's what we were all (or most of us) were dreaming of \"back in the day\". Like when we played Duke Nukem; we knew that's not what \"real life\" would have looked like, but we accepted the technology for what it was visually and enjoyed the game. Kinda like reading a book. That is why we so look forward to seeing a movie that's based on a book we've read. (never mind the fears of a good story being slaughtered for time constraints.) This was part of the draw of Doom 3. It took us back to Doom 1 with a more realistic look.

If I can ever get the hang of Max or Maya, I'll start on it. There have been a couple reasonable attempts at level one, but imho, they've fallen short of spectacular. It's not an easy task and I'm not belittling the effort used in creating these missions. They lacked a certain amount of polish. but no matter.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Because i like d3 also and i love those levels, i've tried making them myself but there are certain parts i'm not experienced enough to work on yet.