Descent 1 Multiplayer level meanings

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Descent 1 Multiplayer level meanings

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Sorta based on this thread but it has to do with Descent 1 Multiplayer levels that came with Descent 1 (the chaos.hog file).

If I get these wrong, correct me.

Anywho...
Mount Slagel - unknowm to me, My guess is a mountain with the name based on \"slag\"

Jalapeno - Named after a vegetable

Death From Above - named after the technique by jumping or falling and step on or crush your opponent physically

The Southern Cross - You guest it, based on an anime called Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross that became Robotech: The Masters OR could be refering to the faction in Robotech/Southern Cross known as, The Southern Cross

Bushwacker's Paradise - from my point of view, it could be refering to the 55 ton Inner Sphere Battlemech's paradise :wink: (not quite sure though)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Descent 1 Multiplayer level meanings

Post by Duper »

Sapphire Wolf wrote:Sorta based on this thread

Mount Slagel - unknowm to me, My guess is a mountain with the name based on "slag"

Jalapeno - Named after a vegetable

Death From Above - named after the technique by jumping or falling and step on or crush your opponent physically

The Southern Cross - You guest it, based on an anime called Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross that became Robotech: The Masters OR could be refering to the faction in Robotech/Southern Cross known as, The Southern Cross

Bushwacker's Paradise - from my point of view, it could be refering to the 55 ton Inner Sphere Battlemech's paradise :wink: (not quite sure though)
OK, this was actually discussed some time ago HERE and Sirius gives some definitions.

Mount Slagel, .. well.. there is a mountain in the level and there is lava in it so when you melt something down you "slag" it. That's the best I can do there.

Jalapeno is a pepper and more technically a "fruit" not a veggie. I would imagine it's named thusly as it's 75% lava and therefore Very hot .. like a Jalapeno. (halopinio)

Death from Above : IIRC, there were a number of doors and such that looped around to halls that opened up in the cieling that was shadowed.

Southern Cross: a constilation viewable only in the Southern hemosphere. The level is cross shaped IIRC.

Bushwackers paradise: To bushwack is to go from one destination to another by Not using a planned or conventional route. this level is highly integrated and has a lot of "shorcuts".

Remember that Descent predated mechwarrior.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Ugh! Should've known better. But the Bushwacker first appeared in a Battletech sourcebook in 1994 known as, BattleTech Compendium: Rules of Warfare.

I felt like an uber noob tonight :oops:
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Descent predated some of MechWarrior, but I'm pretty sure the first in-game appearance of the Bushwacker was in MW4 (or maybe MW3/MC1, but as I haven't played those I couldn't really tell you). Being a 3058 mech it wasn't really one of the classics.

Showing up in a 1994 sourcebook would, though, make it THEORETICALLY possible that the Total Chaos level were named after it. However... it is more likely (since what does the level have to do with the mech + \"paradise\" anyway?) that it was named after what the mech was named after...

...oh hey. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushwacker_(comics) I was going to comment that the apparent misspelling in the same way was an uncanny coincidence, but that might explain it.

P.S. Though it also appears the \"typoed\" form may be a legitimate term of Australian origin that means much the same as what it sounds like. They used to use the version with an extra \"h\" in the US army from the sounds of things...