Which robot has the creepiest sound?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Which robot has the creepiest sound?

Post by Avder »

I think it would be cooler if it could be some kind of extension that both rebirth and XL could implement. A per-robot flag for D1 robots that says "use D1 AI and sounds" for D2 levels.

Sigh, I wish Parallax was still around. We could try to convince them to put out a patch that added D1 AI and sounds to D2 implementations of D1 robots.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/4U4M ... FMeYj1vcLQ

Check out these sound files. Replace your regular .s11 and .s22 files with them and launch a mission with D1 robots: PROFIT.

It's not suited for multiplayer, however.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Firewheel
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Firewheel »

Yesterday I was playing Vertigo level 7 on Ace, and having a hell of a time killing the boss. He was much harder for me than the D1 bosses on Insane (probably didn't help that there were no cloaks or invulnerability powerups around.) That bot makes one horrible noise (I don't recall if any of the other D2 bosses used it, but they have some pretty frightening sound effects too.)

Maybe the sound design in D1 really sticks with me because I was so young when I first played it (Seven? Eight, back in '95?) but Parallax really did a great job making each of the 'bots so memorable. The Class One Driller, of course, is the most horrible of all.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Actually, Red Fatty shares the same sound with Vertigo Boss 1 (and I believe it was also given to the D1 Level 7 boss in Descent 2). It is pretty frightening, but it could've been more fitting considering how easy Red Fatty is to beat.

The Alien 1 and Alien 2 Bosses also had some frightening sound effects, but I have to wonder if the sound effects would've been more effective had they been switched around. When I hear the Fire or Ice Boss, it's not the sound that frightens me as much as it is knowing that it's one of those bosses nearby. I don't think it'd be as scary if they'd assigned it to Red Fatty or the Water Boss instead.
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I've never had problems beating the Vertigo level 7 boss on any difficulty.
What weapons are you trying to use?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
TheBenjaminStilton
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by TheBenjaminStilton »

Well, the Supervisor's bloody murder scream, and the Driller's squeal.
I'm a Furry, and i play Descent. Does that explain all? I also am a friendly guy on the forum.
FELLOW KRYSTAL FAN
Go to the wonderful world of Gametechmods! http://gametechmods.com/forums/index.php?action=forum
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Myself, I still have trouble distinguishing most of the robot sounds from D2. If someone played the sounds to me and asked what robots made them, I'd probably get no more than half of them right.
whodey
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by whodey »

Xfing wrote:Myself, I still have trouble distinguishing most of the robot sounds from D2. If someone played the sounds to me and asked what robots made them, I'd probably get no more than half of them right.
I totally agree with you on that. I think that's a big reason that D2 is harder than D1. Being able to identify what robot you're up against before you see it is a big advantage.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Naphtha »

Really? I can tell most of them apart, with the PEST and the Smelter being the only real exception. I know a couple robots' cries are easily drowned out by their own weapon sounds, though, especially the Boarshead, which is a shame since that's one of the better ones if it could only be heard in the game. Its deep sound effects would be great if only they were given to a dangerous robot with a quieter weapon (maybe a Concussion Missile barrage?).
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I don't have any trouble telling D2 bots apart from their sounds either... and there are only, like, two levels where you need to tell pest and smelter apart. Unless you count the mine laying pests but they're so easy to deal with...

I've always thought most of the bot sounds in D2 were more distinctive than D1 (only partly because they're clearer).
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:I don't have any trouble telling D2 bots apart from their sounds either... and there are only, like, two levels where you need to tell pest and smelter apart. Unless you count the mine laying pests but they're so easy to deal with...

I've always thought most of the bot sounds in D2 were more distinctive than D1 (only partly because they're clearer).
Well to me they're sameish as fuk :D