Vertigo matcens

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Vertigo matcens

Post by Xfing »

I dunno if you also noticed, but in some of the earlier levels of Vertigo (particularly level 5) some of the matcens activate only once. What's curious, I know which cubes I need to find myself in to trigger each respective matcen, but I swear that in some cases the activation will only occur once. Are the matcens in Vertigo scripted to go off using three different cubes, activated once by each cube?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I haven't checked the level in question, but Descent 2 supports \"one-shot\" triggers which can be used to cause a matcen to only activate once. That trick probably won't work if they can be activated by multiple paths though - it would activate once per path, to a maximum of 3 times.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

I noticed both in D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth, the matcens in some levels (particularly level 5, level 8, level 9, and level 12) spawned the boss robots from D2 Counterstrike. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, but I never played Vertigo with the DOS D2.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re:

Post by Xfing »

Alter-Fox wrote:I noticed both in D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth, the matcens in some levels (particularly level 5, level 8, level 9, and level 12) spawned the boss robots from D2 Counterstrike. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, but I never played Vertigo with the DOS D2.
That looks like a bug to me...

About the one-shot triggers, yeah, there are some which activate matcens only once, like in Vertigo level 5 (the Class 1 Drillers make a thrilling comeback in that level).
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

That sounds suspiciously like something screwed up your descent2.hog file. It should be pretty rare for the same bug to show up simultaneously in both D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

@Sirius: You were right. I downloaded d2x.hog and d2x.mn2 from PlanetDescent.net, and now the matcens spawn the same robots I saw in NumberZero's Vertigo videos.

Thanks for that.
Stroodles
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Stroodles »

Xfing wrote:
Alter-Fox wrote:I noticed both in D2X-XL and D2X-Rebirth, the matcens in some levels (particularly level 5, level 8, level 9, and level 12) spawned the boss robots from D2 Counterstrike. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen, but I never played Vertigo with the DOS D2.
That looks like a bug to me...

About the one-shot triggers, yeah, there are some which activate matcens only once, like in Vertigo level 5 (the Class 1 Drillers make a thrilling comeback in that level).
It's not a bug. It's supposed to be REAAALY REAAAALLY HAAAAARD :P
Amg! It's on every post and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
broodyspider
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by broodyspider »

Exciting to hear! (Since I downloaded the same version.) But I can't get past Level 2, the screen goes blank upon finishing it.