Scaled boss HP across skill levels

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Naphtha
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Scaled boss HP across skill levels

Post by Naphtha »

I know that with each skill level, the bosses seem to become a lot more durable, but I've been meaning to ask if we ever figured out exactly how it's calculated. The answer should help out a lot with the single player level pack I've been working on.

Boss HP, according to the .HAM files for Counterstrike and Vertigo as viewed through RbotEdit:

D1 L7 Boss = 4000 (an alternate version with 5000 HP is in the D2 data, but not in any mission)
D1 Final Boss = 7000
Red Fatty = 2750
Water Boss = 3250
Magnacore Boss = 3750
Ice Boss = 3250
Alien 1 Boss = 4750
Alien 2 Boss = 5500
Vertigo Boss 1 = 2750
Red Guard = 5500

It seems like the jump from Hotshot to Ace is the real difficulty threshold when it comes to how much damage the bosses can sustain. Offhand, I think a regular showdown with the Alien 2 Boss on Hotshot takes roughly four or five Shakers and maybe a couple Smarts at the most, but on Ace it seems to take roughly double that... and I haven't tried on Insane yet, so I don't know how that would go. :lol:

I'm planning on four custom bosses for my mission pack, which also features slightly rebalanced weapons (for example, Level 6 Quads are as strong as Level 4's from D1 and the Spreadfire has its D1 speed, while the Helix was dropped from 55 damage per round down to 45). I had a rough estimate in mind for the boss AI's and HP: the warmup Red Fatty would have 2750 HP, the wake-up-call Alien 1 Boss 3500 HP, the slightly-less-dangerous Ice Boss 4250 HP and the modded Alien 2 Boss would have only 5000 HP to make it go down a little faster. But how much of a difference would that actually make on the two hardest skill levels?
First Lieutenant for the Red Dragons in the Descent Rangers. Join our ranks today!
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: Scaled boss HP across skill levels

Post by Xfing »

500 hp per boss is not a great difference, especially seeing that there'll likely be many invulnerabilities to take advantage of. I have also noticed that bosses gain in durability on higher difficulties (though the D1 final boss always seems to take forever to go down, and for good reason). I don't really know where to look to find out the exact calculations, but since there's only one value given in the HAM, then I guess it simply boils down to percentage.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Scaled boss HP across skill levels

Post by Sirius »

Might mean one less shaker... it's only 10% less though (actually not even quite that). It wouldn't be obvious if you weren't looking for it I don't think.