Why are D2 homing weapons so bad compared to D1?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Why are D2 homing weapons so bad compared to D1?

Post by Xfing »

After reading Drakona's thread on the Rebirth forums regarding the differences between original fps-dependent homer trajectories and those found in Rebirth, an even more apparent problem has dawned on me. D2 homing missiles don't turn as sharply, fail to acquire targets at angles larger than approximately 45 degrees and seldom, if at all reacquire targets. Have there been any efforts to fix it? I've played Drakona's "retro" compilation of Rebirth, but haven't noticed any change to this behavior.
Descent 1,5: Level layouts done: 52/54 Secret level layouts done: 1/6
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Why are D2 homing weapons so bad compared to D1?

Post by Sirius »

Some of this might be by design. I believe the same fix was implemented in the D2 version.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:Some of this might be by design. I believe the same fix was implemented in the D2 version.
Well yeah, quite likely it was. But I wonder how it was implemented if it was deliberate that even Drakona didn't see any difference between the formulae.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

The existence of the afterburner in D2 makes dodging homimg missles too easy. They should put the D1 homers in D2 and vice-verce.
Alter-Fox
The Feline Menace

Post by Alter-Fox »

Or that may be why they seem easier?
Ship's cat, MPSV Iberia: beware of cat.
Beware my original music, at http://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Well, this was Drakona's response -
You know, I recall there was a complication with the D2 homers -- they had different values for what the missiles could see, and I left those values unchanged . . . except I remember there being a further complication with something not making sense.

It was a couple years ago, now. I'd have to go and look. I honestly don't really remember.

There is no turning speed value, though, in D1 or D2. Turning speed is frame dependent, would be infinite at infinite frames, and is the same for all homing weapons in D1 or D2 . . . except L7 boss smart blobs, which turn twice as fast as anything else.
Xfing
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Xfing »

Sirius wrote:Well, this was Drakona's response -
You know, I recall there was a complication with the D2 homers -- they had different values for what the missiles could see, and I left those values unchanged . . . except I remember there being a further complication with something not making sense.

It was a couple years ago, now. I'd have to go and look. I honestly don't really remember.

There is no turning speed value, though, in D1 or D2. Turning speed is frame dependent, would be infinite at infinite frames, and is the same for all homing weapons in D1 or D2 . . . except L7 boss smart blobs, which turn twice as fast as anything else.
So basically the acquisition cone or something. Would sound about right.