Another Stik question. ...sorta.

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Another Stik question. ...sorta.

Post by Duper »

It's about sticks, but more directly, I was wondering if anyone knows which D2 file contains stick parameters. I want to set axis' as the game's interface only detects my throttle axis. R1 or something like that.

I get different settings depending on the exe I use.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Descent2.exe uses descent.cfg, "Descent II Win95.exe" uses descent.cfg and/or descentw.cfg and d2x.exe seems to use descentw.cfg
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

This is all that's in there:

JoystickMin=0,0,0,0,0,0,0
JoystickCen=32767,32767,32767,0,32767,32767,32767
JoystickMax=65535,65535,65535,0,65535,65535,65535

I need axis assignment. Thanks tho Grendel!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Oh. The axis assignments are in the player profile files IIRC.

Edit: I'm not sure if I understand the problem -- you can't assign axis ?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Another Stik question. ...sorta.

Post by Sirius »

Duper wrote:I want to set axis' as the game's interface only detects my throttle axis. R1 or something like that.
That's the problem... so basically, no, he can't assign axes normally.

I'm not sure how you'd edit the joystick axis settings in a .plr file myself... but there might be specs out there.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

hmm. Just noticed that there are 7 axis bandwidth ranges there. I'm used to seein only 3. Soooo.. i guess I need to just reduce one to 0 throughout the squence till it works. .. I'll see what that does after work and will report back.

The problem I'm having is assigning the correct axis to the stick for what i want. In this case the Y axis. The game sees only the R1 Axis which seems to be my throttle control on the Stick base. I've had this happen in another game or two, if the forementioned doesn't work, I'll need to look for a program that will allow me to "hack" the player file and assign them there.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is your stick's throttle set exactly at its middle setting? I know both D1 and D2 have issues with automatically detecting the throttle instead of whatever axis you're trying to configure if the throttle isn't dead-centered.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

The game has trouble even if the axis is dead-centered.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

It could also be an over-sensitive throttle axis. I never had a problem configuring my throttle for D1 or D2 (Win95).
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Wow.. both my sticks, {the Saitek and 3D Pro} went ka-plooy! Kinda like i clipped the white wire instead of the red wire. ..:\ aw well...

yea .. the throttle doesn't Center out. It goes from Off to On, on side or the other.

So, I guess the real question is, Is there a program to hack that part of the Player file. I know that there was one that allowed you to monitor kills and such, but nothing critical. ..hrm .. too bad i don't know how to code.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I found some sample PLR files somewhere two weeks ago. Can't refind them :( It's only 3k, I can send them to you if you PM me you email address. From the readme:

"This .zip file contains four pilot files already pre-configured with the proper axis settings that should answer the needs of most of those who have been having axis problems.

JoyA.plr - This pilot is configured to use the twist or UN Axis for banking L-R.
JoyB.plr - This pilot is configured to use the twist or UN Axis for Turning L-R.
JoyC.plr - This pilot is configured to use the twist or UN Axis for Sliding L-R.
pad.plr - A default 4-axis gamepad pilot for any Descenter who may fly using a Gamepad.

All four player files are set at 640x480 resolution w/ Cockpit Mode at Fullscreen.
All four player files have already had the Auto-Level function disabled.
All four player files have had the sensetivity setting for Joystick/Mouse adjusted to the maximum setting."

I still don't exactly know what your problem is -- maybe this helps:
Grendel wrote:Hm, it's just a quick fix -- now the setup information draws on top of the old text if you change something.. But hey, at least you can read it. There's always ESC and comming back :)

People following this threat can load the "fixed" executable here until Diedel puts up the latest version.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

awe man .. now i have them configured right, but they don't want to work. .. its like the stick doesn't care what the configuration says. i feel a HD reformat coming on... ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Did It!

Blow away the config file in your Descent directories. .. both Config files.

I used a pilot who's axis' are set up correctly, Also found some older drivers. ..Also switched USB ports.

still can't calibrate the X2 axis in game tho. :|
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

you mean like go "del *.cfg" in the d1 folder? or what?