How old is everyone and how long have you played Descent

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.

When did you start?

Descent 1
83%
Descent 2
11%
Descent 3
6%

Total votes: 209
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

sonic?

Post by Jediluke »

sonic? by which method did u cheat your way to #1?
:)
kencl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kencl »

I'm 41 now. Started with D2 after playing the demo then finding it in a bargain bin for $10 Canadian! Havn't played them lately since I can't get my NAT router to work with KALI for D2 and PXO went awol...
SoniC
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by SoniC »

I slept with the IDL Administrator.
Jediluke
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jediluke »

hmm
that's how i did it too

that slut!
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm 31 now, was 21 the first time I saw D1. I didn't play much, cause I didn't have a computer that would run it, but when D2 came out I jumped all over it. D3 came out, I played it, got bored cause I didn't play online.

The D3 single player was extremely hard without good controls. Then last year I picked it up again, and started playing all three all over. Finally beat D3 without cheats, working on finishing D1 the same way (I'm on level 17 now, got about 5 more to go).
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

57 I think. Started with D1 Combat Mode on two PS1s. Got a PIII 350 with a tnt card to play the D3 Demo. Now I can't get out of Abend2. Where is the Exit?
Kaptain
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

d2

Post by Kaptain »

A buddy of mine showed me d1 10 years ago, then soon after bought that and played it single player only.. Bought d2 and did the same thing. Shortly after that I discovered Kahn, Zone, and Heat.. I'm 21 now and just got back into playing it again on kali. Still miss the good ol'e days on Heat (although heat sucked badly!).
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Can I?!?! oh hell, it's been a while...

Necro-post!

ImageImage

This message brought to you by postcount++!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

:lol:

I propose a new profile subtitle for Tyr: "DBB necromancer". :roll:
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

I'm old enough...

Post by TechPro »

I'll be 42 next month...

... and I first played Descent 1 just before Descent 2 came out.

I had first seen it at Comdex (remember Comdex?) back when Comdex was THE computer show/comference.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I remember playing D2 at COMDEX... I think it was at the 3dfx booth... they were giving out free coffee cups for anyone playing games at their game consoles.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Diedel wrote::lol:

I propose a new profile subtitle for Tyr: "DBB necromancer". :roll:
Yeah, because I'm clearly the one always posting things nearly a month after the last post has been posted in a thread :roll:

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

...no comment?

Don't take things too seriously.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Damn Tyr, chill out man. He was making a jab at your images. Be sure and aquire a sense of humor ASAP. You might be able to find some on e-bay. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I was just kidding, Tyr, but I apologize ... for your lack of humor. ;)
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

I started playing after getting the D1 Demo on floppy from a computer show. That was when I was 23 or so. Didn't play online for a while, but eventually I found Kali and enjoyed playing D1 and D2 online.
Entered the D3 $50K tourney and started using joystick at the same time. While I think D1 & D2 singleplayer was far superior, D3 was, and is the best multi I've played.
Fighter17
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fighter17 »

I'm 15. When my dad got a new Mac in 1995 (cost him a lot of money), one of the software was Descent. I played it and played it forever. :) I love the redbook audio so much on it (it's not midi, it's redbook). Then when I got a Windows 95, my dad got me Descent 2 on my 6th birthday. On my 9th birthday, I ask my mom "try to find Descent 3." Few days later, she give me D3. Yeah, Descent been around most of my life. :D
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

lol. It wasn't hard to figure out he was just poking fun. Why do you think I threw a steveO out at him :P

My sense of humor is just fine.

See, can even make fun of myself :P
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Thinking...

Post by novacron »

I am nearly 21 years old now. When my parents bought their second family computer, they also bought a few games in which Descent was included. This was back in 1996. Later I got my hands on the Descent 2 Demo from a friend and eventually bought that and then Descent 3.
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Will be 19 this month.

When I was 10 yrs old, my brother, DragonX, wouldn't stop getting me to play d1. He soon regretted doing that because I became addicted and we fought over the computer. :lol: We weren't the only one in my street playing Descent. Neighbors Katarn, Doc, WeSi, and FoxY got into the game too. I think Doc may have started playing first, not sure. I don't remember when I started playing d2 and d3.
I don't play Descent much anymore, just about one game a week or two... I twisted my wrist twice in 3 years and never gave it enough time to heal properly before I started playing Descent again. I'm paying the price for that now. :cry:
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Avatar »

I turned 26 back in June... I've been playing Descent since the original release of the D1 Shareware. Originally started playing at my High School's computer lab in Computer Science AP. We even had a Descent tournament before the full version release (I won). =)

Played it religiously through my remaining years of High School (I was a sophmore when it came out). We played D2 when it came out, but mostly D1.

After High School I played via modem game with my friends until I discovered Kali. After I got Kali I soon discovered the Wildcards Empire... That lead to my playing the games quite obsessively until about 2 or 3 years ago when I stopped playing for no real reason. I have now just re-installed everything and am ready to get going again. >:)

Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I never knew that was Steve O.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I am 43 now ... started D3 right after it first came out as an escape from an alcoholic, drugged, overbearing, control freak wife. Man it was great medicine! Not only did I escape the biutch's constant ranting and brutal treatment but it eventually led to the dissolution of our marriage. HOORAY FOR DESCENT3!!!
s.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by s. »

47 started with the d1 demo

aka scrode
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JRock »

Started with D1 demo over modem-to-modem with a friend in high school when I got my first computer back in '96. Got Descent 2 when it came out and Descent 3 as well. Haven't touched D3 in almost five years now but happened to see the CDs sitting in one of my boxes of stuff in storage and brought them home with me today. Planning to reinstall soon. Got the 1.4 patch ready and found this forum through PlanetDescent (I'd long since forgotten about this place). I'm 25, started when I was 16 and just like with MechWarrior games, the Descent series will always have a special place in my heart and memories. :)

Now if only someone would step up and make Descent 4 and MechWarrior 5. :(
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Amen to that. ;) Mechwarrior 5 probably stands the better chance of the two, though, since the franchise isn't dead.
Muffalicious
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Muffalicious »

Well I'm kinda late to put my 2 cents in butt, I did start to play D1 about 9yrs ago with supersheep. Butt skipped D2 and now in D3. Glad to be here...thank you.....thank you. :P
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

/me votes for muffy to change her avatar to that pic of her making the kissyface. :)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Played maybe 5 times on d1, skipped d2, saw d3 at Comp USA and bought it. Figure out that multiplayer could be cool in about 2000. Been playing about 5 years, with a 2 year hiatus in the middle. Just got back into the game.
Muffalicious
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Muffalicious »

Pun I don't think everyone wants to see my mug everytime I toss my 2 cents in a thread. :D
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You can post it here just once. ;)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Didn't see this thread. Presently thirtynine. Started to play D1 with the shareware (stuck on lvl 7 for weeks), then played null-cable for years. (There was no internet where i lived back then) I bought a new computor to play D3, but was very disappointed untill i discovered multiplay. Crappy ping from the middle east but great fun dying.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Well, better late than never I reckon...

I'm of the 'chosen few' (6%) who started with D3. I started back in mid 2004 playing as Max Kragen. After about 2 months of struggling, the great team [NuB] attempted to take me under it's wing but due to financial hardship (my twins needs wiped my bank account clean) I had to disconnect from the internet during the pregnancy (and to help Crystal, bless her).
So, after an 8 or 9 month hiatus of playing nothing but single player "HellFire" (with ace or insane bots) I got my connection back and officially joined Team [NuB]. Got a lil' growth spurt in there (thx to all the great players who helped me and the a$$holes who fueled me :P ) and decided to morph into another pilot, willkill.
So far, that's my story....and I'm stickin' to it :wink:

present age= 39 8)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

From what I hear elsewhere on the DBB, most people started with D3. It's just that not many of them hang out here.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

43 years old, started playing Descent when it was Descent Maximum with the playstation. Later went on to D3 in 2000. Mickey, there is no exit in Abend2, it just goes on and on and on and on! :)
MidiV
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by MidiV »

Now I'm 26 and i started on D1 demo on my i386 DX 40.
That was amazing. No sound, no music. Only robots.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

i started sometime in either 94 or 95 on a friends comp playing the descent 1 demo, we bought descent 2 shortl after i played that again and again for years till about 98, we bought descent 3 and i played it for about a year on the keyboard as "madman" sucked pretty bad so i left till late 2001 and ive been playing descent 3 multiplayer since.
Fezzik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fezzik »

30 yrs old. Never played D1 or D2... I think I started playing D3 some time in 2001.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Descent 1 Demo. Don't remember which bulletin board that I downloaded it from nor the actual date.

I downloaded the D1 Demo then played, deleted, downloaded, played, deleted it many many times.

Got addicted hardcore to Descent around June 1998(?), I found "Descent - The Definitive Collection" in my local CompUSA for $19.99! (D1, D2, Levels of the world and more.)

My ex-mother-in-law had a copy of Descent 1 that came with her pc that she loaned to me for a couple of weeks... I don't recall the name of the Descent 1 CD. But it was very very cool.

Back then I played with ONLY a keyboard.

Found Descent Bulletin Board around the time I purchased D1/D2 pack listed above via a link from the Interplay Web Site.

Then when Descent 3 Demo (November 1998) came out started playing with a joystick and have played with a joystick for steering and keyboard for all other functions since that time.

Wheeeeeee!

:P
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Keep coming back to it

Post by Weyrman »

First saw D1 in 91 or 92 on my brother's computer. As soon as I got my own, I grabbed a copy. I now have D1, D1 Levels of the World, D2, D2 Vertigo, D3 (Mercenary was never released here in Australia :( ) Freespace 1 and 2. Currently 43

**Edit** Ok, I stand corrected. It must have been 95. I couldn't remember exactly but it seemed on recollection it wasn't long after I moved interstate in 90.