Questions from the Dummy

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Questions from the Dummy

Post by Deadmeat »

Yes, I am a computer dummy. I'm surprised that I could even get this program to run. Still haven't quite figured how to get it to start automatically at bootup, but I'm working on it. But now that I've got it running on two comps it makes me feel real good that I'm doing a little bit to help.

I'm running a 1700+ with 512mb of PC2100 on Win98SE and a 2600+ with 512mb of PC2700 on WinXP Home. Since starting up Sunday I've completed 8 Work Units, but my score is only about 246. Seems I keep getting these monster projects with 1M steps. Is there something simple I can do to up my score? I've read that Tinker programs run faster on AMD machines, but I keep getting Gromacs programs.

Another thing I've noticed. Sometimes I can't get anywhere else online from where I am. Like today I was here surfing the DBB just fine, but I couldn't get anywhere else online. Links from here wouldn't work. I use a local ISP and called them and they said there were no problems going on and to call them again when I had the problem. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Set it up as a system service. Use this installer to automatically configure it for you :

http://www.bluetentacle.co.uk/dc/fahservice.htm

The stuff in red is the most important. Set it up like this ... I use 100% utilization and I have no problem getting F@H to yield immediately for other applications.

Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Thanx Ice, I'll set that up tomorrow.

Was looking at that other team's scores. Where do they get them? I'm now at 9 WU done with a score of 284. Oh well, guess I'll just keep plugging along.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Thing is if we could get 10% of the DBB folks to produce 284 ... well go figure ...