Hmm 2 instances?

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Hmm 2 instances?

Post by snoopy »

So, if I have 2 instances running on 1 processor, it will still say I only have one processor active, but it will boost my production by a bit? I have 2 instances running, but I think they are crunching the same protein.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

There is no real reason in having 2 processes active at once unless you have a hyperthreaded MB.

If you do have hyperthreading then configuring F@H console for 100% will only use 50% ... hence the need for a second process.

If you do not have hyperthreading then configuring F@H console for 100% will use 100% of the CPU.

If you have a dual processor with no hyperthreading then you need 2 processes ... one for each processor.

If you have a dual processor WITH hyperthreading then you need 4 processes in order to dedicate 100% of the processing capability to folding.

Why the need for doubling up on hyperthreaded MBs? Because hyperthreading causes the OS to believe you have twice the number of processors you actually have. Check the task manager (performance section) on a hyperthreaded box if you want to see proof.