Lappy folding heat?

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Lappy folding heat?

Post by Dev_Null »

I've been folding for years, but just now noticed that the DBB had a folding team, so yeah, I'm definitely folding for the DBB now. However I've got a problem, well, a question.

I have a few laptops (P4m, Centrino, A64m), and I was just curious to see who else around here is running folding on a high end lappy, and how hot the machine gets at full load for days on end. I've had a low end centrino machine folding in the past at 100% load, and it seemed to work fine. Howerver, the machines have gotten a lot faster, but as far as I can tell, the cooling hasn't. Now none of these laptops are mine, so damaging them is not something I want to be doing.

I was thinking about running folding at just 50% CPU for a few days to see what kind of output I would get, and to see how well the machines handle the load. Does this seem like a logical course of action? Or should I just slap folding on and run at full load? If it reboots it reboots right?8)

~Dev
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

what is folding?
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Phaser wrote:what is folding?
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

Or more precisely, you can go here to get a good definition of what folding is, and how it could help humanity.

~Dev