Yet another new folder!

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Yet another new folder!

Post by Plebeian »

Just recently (finally!) completed my first unit on my iMac "server". It's a 333MHz G3, so it's not exactly a screamer. I'm looking at what I want to do on my 2400+ desktop, but I hope to at least get the screensaver version running, if the full-time version doesn't surrender enough processing time to game with. That machine's usually asleep anyway, so it's not much difference, really. :)

Oh, and my first WU was an 1138 for 241 points. No wonder it took so damn long! 8)
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

I'd say not to use the screensaver version

A couple of different approaches are to

1) create a shortcut to your administrator tools>services on your desktop so you can stop the service easily when you want all of the PCs attention.
2) use the console but not installed as a service. Then just create a shortcut to start it. Stopping it is as easy as closing a dos window.

Welcome aboard tho :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I just leave the console version running when I game (most of the time), and I haven't ever had any problems. Then again, the most CPU-intensive game I play is D3.

You can always set it up as a service and then pause the service when you're going to play something that would suffer a performance hit.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I have my main PC setup as a service and I have only one problem. When I first enter a D3 map my mouse/keyboard lags for about 1-2 seconds. After that I have absolutely no problems at all.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

I went and installed the regular version, and it looks like it should be fine. Sets its own priority to Lowest, so any other process should be able to grab whatever time it needs. :) Ran a little bit of stuff, and didn't notice any sort of slowness or hiccups.