600 pointers in short supply?

This is the place for chat on DBB Distributed Computing projects... remember team #39070 for Stanfords Folding @ Home project.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

600 pointers in short supply?

Post by STRESSTEST »

Been getting 384 point work units all of a sudden. They running out of the biguns?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'm gettin 63 pointers. Three in a row now. WTF?
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

You cannot expect a 600 pointer everytime you fold, you have to fold for a certain amount of time before you can get a decent sized work unit.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

twolvesfan wrote:you cant expect a 600 pointer u have to fold for a certain ammount of time b4 u can get decent sized wus
How about english this time?
BAAL
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by BAAL »

Tw, how long you have been folding has no bearing on what WU you are gonna get.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

twolvesfan wrote:You cannot expect a 600 pointer everytime you fold, you have to fold for a certain amount of time before you can get a decent sized work unit.
Don't comment on something you know nothing about.
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

this is were u go wrong randomly attacking me because i do know... there are 2 600 pointers you can get out of like 150 work unit packets you can get so you do the math and tell me what are the chances of getting the 2 600 pointers out of 150

its not a comment u asked a question so its more of a answer

you are so wrong punisher thinkin i dont know anything when in reality i have more points then you.

ps what xciter said supply and demand. for a chart check out http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html newb.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

rofl
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

for real... lol :P
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

twolvesfan wrote:this is were u go wrong randomly attacking me because i do know... there are 2 600 pointers you can get out of like 150 work unit packets you can get so you do the math and tell me what are the chances of getting the 2 600 pointers out of 150

you are so wrong punisher thinkin i dont know anything when in reality i have more points then you.

ps what xciter said supply and demand. for a chart check out http://vspx27.stanford.edu/psummary.html newb.
I dunno where you learned to count, but there are more then 2, 600 point WU groups on that link you posted.
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

And I had three 600 pointers running on my three machines at the same time. What are the chances of that happening, TW? I'll let you do the math since you're so smart. :D
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

blah!!! st was right there is 4 i cant count...........

deadmeat, i am guessing the chances are pretty slim for someone to get a 100% chance of 600 pointers like you have been ;)

but 4 600 pointers instead of 2 dang thats almost double what i said i was wayyyy off
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

you don't just get work units randomly... they're assigned based on your system benchmarks and configuration. If you're configured to handle large work units (ie, you selected the "use large work units" option) you're pretty likely to get 600-point units.

I'm on my third this week. I happened to have a 63-point unit in between.

Also, if you have multiple machines going, your chances of getting them all on 600-point units are better than they first appear, because 600-point units take a few days to work through. Once you get one, you'll have it for a while, so if your other machines happen to also get a 600-point unit within a few days of the first one, they'll all be doing 600-point units. Compare this to, for example, 20-point units -- if one machine gets a 20-point unit, it'll be done in an hour, and there's very little chance another machine will get a 20-point unit in that same time period.
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

You guys should have been folding back in the days of 2.0 and 2.19. Back when the best work units were worth 5 points (Protein A), and even a 10 machine farm wouldn't produce more than 400 points a week. God help you if you were folding with a Pentium IV. Back before Gromacs units, there were only Tinkers, so a 5 point Protein A would take around 40 hours to fold on a PIV 1.5.

It cracks me up when I see the newer folders bitching about how they get nothing but 63 point Tinkers, or 33 point Gromacs units. Back in the day I would have killed to receive a 63 point unit that folded in only 2 days. Hell I remember when there was a huge deal made out of a 20 point unit (don't remember the name), everyone was jumping up and down in excitement.

Moral of the story: Don't b**** about what units you get. It's not about points, it's about helping Stanford research protein folding. The stats are cool, but like the PXO stats of old, they really mean nothing.

~Dev
twolvesfan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by twolvesfan »

i agree with dev null.... except for that crappy avatar man!!! get rid of it!!!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Woah....Dev, you have the uh....the er.....um....

Worst.

Ever.
Gammaray
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gammaray »

I just got another 241 pointer... second one in a row (also just 2 work units down the list)
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

Ouch, don't hate! There's nothing wrong with Intel. My P4 HT 3.0 @ 3.6x is good for 1500 ppw on the right units alone.

~Dev
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

We really have no way of knowing just how many work units of what size are available. Consider this. 150 projects listed and over a million computers, world wide, working on them. There's got to be variations. Never thought much about it until today when I noticed I'm working on two 1140's. Same protein, but different "Runs". Maybe they're different "Models" of the same protein or maybe repeated "Runs" of the same Model to insure accuracy. It would seem, then, the chances of getting one of these projects could be limitless.

And I agree wholeheartedly with what Dev said. The points, rankings and smack talk are all kinda fun, but the important thing to me is that I'm doing my little thing to help even as I sit here typing this post. So let's just KEEP ON FOLDING!

BTW, Dev, is Intel comping you to advertise for them? :D
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

actually we do.

There are 4, 600 point WU groups, each with 84665 atoms (WUs) for a total of ... you do the math..
Deadmeat
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Deadmeat »

Then TW may just have a Chinaman's Chance in Hell of getting one. :P
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

Just so you know, serverstat says there are 21,890 600 pointers available. So, you're fairly lucky if you get them.

~Dev
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Then I must be lucky. I haven't seen any other on my computer since they first started showing up. The laptop how ever did a 39 and 364 pointer since then.
Dev_Null
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Dev_Null »

I know, I'm not really sure why some people seem to get nothing but 600 pointers, while others only get two or three. My A64 3200+ Lappy at Circuit City has done nothing but fold 600 pointers since I started it folding three weeks ago.

~Dev
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

twolvesfan wrote:this is were u go wrong randomly attacking me because i do know... there are 2 600 pointers you can get out of like 150 work unit packets you can get so you do the math and tell me what are the chances of getting the 2 600 pointers out of 150

Take a chill pill, calm down, and get some counseling if that is what it takes. Nobody was attacking you. If you have issues or a hardon for someone here then take it elsewhere ... Furthermore, This forum will not become a points pissing contest. I will not permit it and I will not warn you again.

Jim feel free to add any more explainations you see fit here.