Afterburner Project - by DizzyRox

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Duper wrote:wel when you look back on the other games, all the powerups were orbs; minus of course the energy.
hehe, No doubt about that man :)
Diedel wrote:Dizzy,

could you eventually rebuild the shield orb, not just making it dark blue, but add some swirling half transparent shades to its insides to make it more look like condensed energy?
No,sorry I wasnt very clear there, the red orb, believe it or not was when I was trying to get something done with the blue shield orb and I animated it out a full 360 in 8 frames and tooo much cloudiness :roll: ..It was a freakin tornado in there,LOL,, DOE :? ,, so change the color green and animate to 15 frames and waalaa,, erumm and put a pyro in there..and it becomes an extra life.But Im still stuck tryin to get the textures placed on/in the models to be transparent or with alpha :( ,prolly somethin very simple Im missing about it)so you can see the black square around the pyro when rendered..argg!!

Here is a work in progress of the MB Diedel sent

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hey Dizzy,

looks good so far. Could you make it with more frames than the original had?
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Who do i give my textures to, as i get some done.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Theftbot wrote:Who do i give my textures to, as i get some done.
Diedel would be the man for that.Feel free to post'm though ,whatcha got cookin Theftbot?
Diedel wrote:Hey Dizzy,

looks good so far. Could you make it with more frames than the original had?
Sure man,sounds good, how many you think 12/15?
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Its not what i was cooking but freezing. Ill give Deidel the TGA image

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dizzy,

15 would be cool.

Theftbot,

you can mail them to karx11erx at hotmail dot com (zip/rar please). And tell me what original textures they are intended to replace. ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Image Image

This one I would say its rock350. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ummmm ... yes. :roll: I thought I knew it from somewhere. :mrgreen:

Thx.

Btw, Theft: Nice. :)
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

No Doubt, good work man :) and this particular texture would be a good one to earmark for a bump map eventually to 8)
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

There textures are really beautiful!! 8) But they're too much memory to play it. 0_x I have ATI Radeon X1600 512mb. Does D2X-XL attach that video card? :? Which I put D2 Afterburner's weapons in TEXTURES or D2X-XL file? :?
MD1985
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

textures folder.
You can decrease texture quality from highest to very high to save memory.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Ive finally got these missles done ,
http://dizzyrox.koolbear.com/textures/missles4pack.rar

still working the keys and that monster ball,(what a hoot that texture is, a tough one indeed :roll: :x :? :(
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

They look great.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Awesome, Dizzy, awesome. :)
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey you all ,whats a goin on
Im throwing in the towel for abit on the monsterball till I learn more..The upside is I can now export models and or I believe create oofs for D2X-XL..
Here's a Work in Progress,, still in its first stages of development.Any tips on optimizing polycount are welcome, or for tht matter any tips on modeling of any kind.
Diedel what kind of polycount would you want to shoot for per model?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't know how many that Gauss gun has, and I don't really have an idea how many polys you need to make a powerup look good.

Eagles' hires Pyro has about 1500 polys, which is no problem for standard rendering, but gets pretty expensive with the new style lighting (actually that is vertex and not polygon dependant, and as polys usually share vertices it may have less than 1500 verts). With the standard lighting, 500 doesn't hurt. So I'd say 500 polys is a heck of a lot already for a powerup, and maybe too costly for all but the most powerful gfx cards with the new style lighting. Is 150 to 250 too few polys?

Maybe you let me know how many you'd like to use?
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Small texture pack sent Diedel, tell me what you think.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Diedel wrote:I don't know how many that Gauss gun has, and I don't really have an idea how many polys you need to make a powerup look good.

Eagles' hires Pyro has about 1500 polys, which is no problem for standard rendering, but gets pretty expensive with the new style lighting (actually that is vertex and not polygon dependant, and as polys usually share vertices it may have less than 1500 verts). With the standard lighting, 500 doesn't hurt. So I'd say 500 polys is a heck of a lot already for a powerup, and maybe too costly for all but the most powerful gfx cards with the new style lighting. Is 150 to 250 too few polys?

Well Ive gave it alot of thought,and to be honest I may need to find some help, been checkin out some tuts and such, but here's the thing..
Back in the Quake2 days a model had somewhere around 700 polys (models) I made a couple of them years ago, so Im pretty noob to the low poly creation ,but I understand it somewhat (making good leg/arm joints still kinda confuse me). Some models will be easy to create at that level (the 150/250 range), will it be ok if a few of them move upto 700 or so? for example to get a good looking guass may take a few hundred more polys than the others due to the multiple tubes, as long as its fairly flexible 250 to 700 should (i think, but heck im not sure) be able to get on par ,look wise, with the sprite ani'z,,
man I hope I can even come close to what kuman has created,that vid post from tiger was awesome stuff, wish we could jus slam his stuff in there 8)
Im still workin towards it though, its jus gonna take me quite a while longer than the 2d stuff.

Theft,, man thanks for workin some textures, that kicksarse :) cant wait to see them..
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Diedel wrote:I don't know how many that Gauss gun has, and I don't really have an idea how many polys you need to make a powerup look good.

Well Ive gave it alot of thought,and to be honest I may need to find some help, been checkin out some tuts and such, but here's the thing..
Back in the Quake2 days a model had somewhere around 700 polys (models) I made a couple of them years ago, so Im pretty noob to the low poly creation ,but I understand it somewhat (making good leg/arm joints still kinda confuse me). Some models will be easy to create at that level (the 150/250 range), will it be ok if a few of them move upto 700 or so? for example to get a good looking guass may take a few hundred more polys than the others due to the multiple tubes, as long as its fairly flexible 250 to 700 should (i think, but heck im not sure) be able to get on par ,look wise, with the sprite ani'z,,
man I hope I can even come close to what kuman has created,that vid post from tiger was awesome stuff, wish we could jus slam his stuff in there 8)
Im still workin towards it though, its jus gonna take me quite a while longer than the 2d stuff.

Theft,, man thanks for workin some textures, that kicksarse :) cant wait to see them..
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dizzy,

I have no clue how many polys are needed for good looking weapon objects. Actually vertex count is more important, and only if using OpenGL style lighting. So if you need more polys, just use more. :)
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Hmm... I know I'm comparing it to the old D2 powerup thing, but I think the barrels should be closer together, they seem spaced too much.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I don't think all that new stuff has to look like the originals 1:1. Similar alright, but not necessarily as close to identical as possible.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Speaking of models...Dizzy, could you give me those secondary weapons you made? I'm making a descent mod for Freespace2 and am in dire need of models. I'll give you credit, of course. If you could, I'd be a happy person. (and the one with the best looking missile models...hehe). Thanks!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

So far, the improved missile powerups are still sprites. The only (incomplete) 3D weapon model Dizzy has made is the Gauss cannon.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

I assumed dizzy created those sprites by rendering models... which is how it looked. I'm not sure how he could have done that any other way...
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

=Tempest= wrote:I assumed dizzy created those sprites by rendering models... which is how it looked.
They are models, but not finished models.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

What's not finished? I only need ~ 100 poly models, not neccisarily complete or perfect ones.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hm ... I remember Dizzy writing that he used models to render the sprites ... It would be none of a problem to replace the 2D powerup sprites with 3D models. Dizzy, can we have finished powerup models? :mrgreen:
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

That would ROCK. Dieldel, the missles could be stuck in in .oof, right? I can use that format. .Max or .3ds works too.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey Sorry you all ,I have to build another band website,(spawned from the one I jus built my own band)It'll jus be a few weeks before I can get back to the textures :(
Tempest wrote:I assumed dizzy created those sprites by rendering models... which is how it looked. I'm not sure how he could have done that any other way...
yes, They were models ,but I cant get them to export correctly for some reason, checking into this.But the thing is they are really high poly count, jus uninhibited and no poly optimization, they would definatly need to be optimized..
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Well, resourceful me, I managed to scrap together the missile models I need. I still need primary weapons, though. Whenever you get around to making them, it's all good :).
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I have D2 installed again and was going to try these hi-res textures. But Koolbear's site is down. Any other place I can down them.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

The KoolBear links at the Descent2.de site work for me.

Just right click and do \"save as\" on the files you want from the Download Page of the Descent2.de site.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Looks very cool what you guys did. I got every thing working except the Descent 1 briefing audios, which don't play at all. Is there something I need to type in the D2X configuration settings.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:Looks very cool what you guys did. I got every thing working except the Descent 1 briefing audios, which don't play at all. Is there something I need to type in the D2X configuration settings.
Moon wrote:I've downloaded all Hi-Res textures and put them into the \\d2x-xl\\models and the game wouldn't recognize them. Only when I put them into the main folder they are loaded but as expected 64 MB on my graphics board leads to swapping. What hardware would be needed to run hires graphics on a decent speed?

I mean, if I buy a card with 512 MB RAM would that be enough for larger levels than D2 Counterstrike level 1 with it's 480 MB as mentioned in the FAQ?
Ummmm, sorry but do either of these questions really belong in this thread?

There is a Q&A thread made for such questions about D2X-XL.

;)
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

any particular time frame when all of the textures will be converted?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Time frame? :roll:

I wouldn't even go there.

This retexturing project has been going on for about 2 years now.
Maybe even longer.

It'll be done when it's done.

But only with the help of more people.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

then I can't help jack squat. I can build levels no sweat, its the stuff you build levels with I can't do. :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's always the same: People are enthusiastic, they start to work on textures like crazy, and after a while they are having had to much of it and turn towards things they find more interesting. I can understand that, but it's a pity. DizzyRox did a great job. Too bad he seems to be gone for good, too. :(

Just imagine having truly 3D modeled powerups. Not only would they look great, they would also save memory. Those hires animations are memory hogs (one megabyte per frame - there's at least 25 powerups with let's say 8 frames each ... go figure).
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

but they look oh so sexy. :P