Afterburner Project - by DizzyRox

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

ahhhh yes, way to cool now! 8)

I'm happy with that! ;)
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

I loaded the above vulcan model and the gauss cannon side by side in a room under a light so I could compare the sizes. It looked to me that the vulcan model was not being lit by the light so I added a headlight and took another look.

The room itself seemed light enough where the cannon was that only the cannon was illuminated by the headlight, the wall brightness didn't change.

Can someone else have a look at this and see what you think?
Pilot from Oz
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Weyrman,

you know where to post bug reports, don't you? :P ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Weyrman wrote:I loaded the above vulcan model and the gauss cannon side by side in a room under a light so I could compare the sizes. It looked to me that the vulcan model was not being lit by the light so I added a headlight and took another look.

The room itself seemed light enough where the cannon was that only the cannon was illuminated by the headlight, the wall brightness didn't change.

Can someone else have a look at this and see what you think?
This sounds more like a bug report to me, and we all know where that should go. :P
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Yes, yes, I know. The thing is I didn't know if it was a bug. I don't consider things bugs unless I am pretty sure that something is wrong, which in this case I wasn't sure, which is why I asked for an opinion.

As it is considered to be a possible bug I will now go and post a bug report. :idea:
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:ahhhh yes, way to cool now!

I'm happy with that!
Cool Aus, good deal, 8) man Im still tryin to get the spin right for some reason when zeroed out it spins kinda goofy.Ive got a few more details for the texture as well.

Working another primary now, but I had these kinda on the plate as well, kinda close to completion so I figured Id go ahead and finish them.Have yet to get the merc rack.This is a misc pack, it includes,
New Concussion + ConcussionRack
New Homer + HomerRack
New Flash + FlashRack
New Guided + GuidedRack
Blue Key
Red Key
Gold Key

The new Singles are the same yet now only use 1 texture per missle as opposed to 2/3 used in previous versions, (sorry bout that :roll: )
also a slightly Wider striping on the Homer/Guided.

http://dizzyrox.koolbear.com/miscpack.zip
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Looks great Dizzy.

Can't wait to see what the final models will look like! ;)

BTW,
The s-missile need a bit of tweekin.

Need the pivot point to come back a bit or which ever way it needs to go. :P

Thanks Dizzy!

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Sexy. :mrgreen:
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Simply amazing work, guys. I'm kind of caught up in a whole different mod right now, but I'd like to contribute what I have. If anybody wants them, I've got all the stuff I made for d2x-xl in obj and .wrl.

http://www.fs2downloads.com/uploads/D2X-XLStuff.zip

I have all the primary power ups and some of the items modeled. They're not UVMapped. Otherwise, keep up the great work!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

What is obj and wrl?

Can they be imported into D3Edit?

I am rather clueless about this stuff. I wish you had finished it. ;)
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

.obj can be used in Maya and a few other programs.

I'm sure Dizzy can open them and finish them if he wants. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:I'm sure Dizzy can open them and finish them if he wants. ;)
That might speed up things. :roll:
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Tempest, thats awesome man, If I can find a plugin for import, these will be a huge advancement forward, thanks a bunch ,I sure hope I can get them in, Ill look around for somthing tonight 8)
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Shadowfury333 »

DizzyRox wrote:Tempest, thats awesome man, If I can find a plugin for import, these will be a huge advancement forward, thanks a bunch ,I sure hope I can get them in, Ill look around for somthing tonight 8)
What about 2ORF. I found it at PD a while ago, and it seemed to work pretty well. However it doesn't seem to join the faces quite as efficiently as possible, so you will need to select the whole model and remove extra vertices.
Atixtasy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Atixtasy »

i have maya and may be able to import them....if so then i will be happy to let dizzy have them.

What format, Dizzy should i export them as?
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Shadowfury333 wrote:What about 2ORF. I found it at PD a while ago, and it seemed to work pretty well. However it doesn't seem to join the faces quite as efficiently as possible, so you will need to select the whole model and remove extra vertices.
I dont guess 2orf will import obj from the looks of the readme :(

Yeah, Atixtasy that would be great if you can export the obj > 3ds. I got a plugin but it seems that the models have to be like Diedel descibes for D2X-XL ,pretty well perfect, or no overlapping sub objects/holes/displaced verts etc...to make the change, (jus speculation), anyway, I was only able to get the ammo rack,the others crashed out the program, same thing was happening, (erummm in reverse) when I was tryin to give the first missles to Aus thru export (in that batch only the Key/Keys made it for me) i.e..thats why I all the sudden I had the keys above.All I had to do was optimize and texture them.I hope it works out.

erummm Sorry Aus ,I got to thinkin off in this topic and almost forgot.. here's fixed Smart missle,,
http://www.dizzyrox.koolbear.com/smartmsl.zip
Atixtasy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Atixtasy »

dizzy....maya can read the .obj files...however, the models are Extremely small :!: i'll post the vulcan screenie here...

this is zoomed in about 250% possibly more.

just thought i'd let you know....conversion in progress......... :)

EDIT: to everyone....the model of the ammo pack has in excess of 10000 faces :shock: I am currently scaling the model so that it's not so darn tiny and trying to cleanup the amount of polys to about 5000 if possible. Will keep everyone informed.
Atixtasy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Atixtasy »

Conversion Complete!

however, I am unable to upload the file. How exactly do I go about doing this?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

5000? That is still too much. 1000 would be ok.
Atixtasy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Atixtasy »

well diedel i converted the models over to 3ds like dizzy requested and id give them to him...after i scaled down the number of polys...which btw i was looking at the edges and not the actual faces lol..its more like 2000-5000 without any messing around with em.

I can do 1000 i thnk but massive quality would probably be lost

Dizzy....i also got my hands on 3ds max 9 so I will be using that considering it will put us on the same page in terms of programs used and we won't have to convert anything :) the models.zip I will e-mail em to ya.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

The Vulcan ammo has way too many faces. The problem with Solidworks, what I use to model, is that you can't choose how much detail is put into a shape. It's engineering software designed to send data into machines for actual construction, so faces/verts are not an issue. I was trying to find a way around this but couldn't.

And the faces are excessive too. I might upload a reduced polycount edition tomorrow, and scale them up properly. I MIGHT even be able to, with the help of another editor, *cough* truespace *cough* make those curvy shapes out of many fewer pollies.

And I have another request: Dizzy, I would like to use your missiles in the mod I'm making. I tried to extract them but it screws over the UVmaps, which I have enough trouble with already. Do you have them in their origional format? I can host them if anyone needs hosting. I'd REALLY love the:

Concussion
Flash
Homing
Guided
Smart
Mercury
Mega
Earthshaker

...okay everything that isn't a bomb. I can't make the missiles myself because of the aforementioned smoothing problem, so anything circular is bound to have problems.

I was thinking of taking off most of the detail on the primaries that won't be too noticible ingame. I did some tests and I could cut the polycount in half while leaving the model mostly intact. Even though I liked the extra detail it's really unnecessary for both D2X-XL and FS2.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey whats goin on
Good deal Atixtasy :)
Yeah Tempest, Ill shoot you a pm
Ive finally finished up another weapon, hope its not too over the top. 8)
If you guys want a bit more traditional ,I may create further one at a point later, there's still texture work to be done to this one also, but its very close.Give it a spin ,see what ya think.

http://dizzyrox.koolbear.com/plasma.zip
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Nice. Very nice. I personally think it's a bit too rounded, but it's good. Also, the guns seem to be straight and they are pointing up in the animated icons. I tried to keep them angled but straight is fine too.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Yeah, same here... If I remember correctly the plasma cannon looked more like a brick...
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

thanks for the comments fellas,its all in interpretation and perception for sure,, the vulcan and the plasma have the same body, except the clamps on top, I figured Id leave the brick part (i know what you mean) for the vulcan, and take this body one step further so the comparison wasnt so apparent in XL. Also, Id just like to see some spice what with all the work thats involved, so in the end its still Descent 2, yet at the same time, an advanced version, for lack of a better way of putting it 8)

barrel looks to be straight to the body
(ive interpretted the top cylinder to be a locked stabilizer rod for a piston/recoil driven barrel, \"because it only shoots singles\", kinda like the ut impact hammer action)

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Dizzy,

sorry I am having only one word all the time for what you are doing ... awesome! :D

(Sheesh, I'm drooling :lol: )
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

<nitpick>
Alright, they have the same body. But I've noticed a few thinges that probably made your model look more different that the sprite. The body is too rounded, it may not have been a rectantgular prism, but the sides at least should be square. Unless it's bowed out becuase it's holding so much power. And also, the thingy that \"holds\" the barrels together should be scooted further to the end of the barrels.
</nitpick>
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I think the Plasma looks great this way. It doesn't need to be a 100% identical 3D replication of the sprite.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

That's lighting related, and I don't think it's a bug.
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Hey whatsup
Here's a quadlaser to check out.

http://www.dizzyrox.koolbear.com/quadlaser.zip
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Gorgeous!

(Hey, I have a new attribute! :D - Dizzy, you know what I mean ;)).
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

WOW! :o

I've been gone for 8 days and come come back to see these bad boys! 8)

Nice Dizzy.. nice! :)
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

welcome back Aus :)
say, I was thinkin the gun points needed some help yet. so I scaled them up abit and made them ends thicker as well, added a lil more detail, (imperfections to the surface) to the texture, had some stretching to fix also, see if you all like this one abit better.

http://www.dizzyrox.koolbear.com/quadlasev2.zip
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

FOrgive me if you've already said it but, what program do you use for making these models Dizzy?
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

no prob d3jake ,its an ol copy of maxr3 ive had for some time, coincidently, on Descent3 website they have an exporter plugin for r3 and r4 to export d3 models,, changes them to p3d then oof editor picks them up and further converts them to oof.

here's an ammorack, although it doesnt work in game yet, I renamed it to guass.oof to see it and work it, Diedel will have to set it up.give it a spin.

http://www.dizzyrox.koolbear.com/vammo.zip
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Nice! 8)

You know?
I'm starting to think we should rename this thread to:

Afterburner Project - by DizzyRox

After all, it's not all about hires textures anymore. ;)

EDIT: Title of thread has been changed. :mrgreen:
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

hmmm Aus you do have a point ,definatly, I aught to change the site to reflect that, (among many other things, :roll: )
my bad on this vulcan ammo,, I called it a ammorack, as it seems it should be vammo.oof or whatever Diedel makes it.Ill need to shoot another up to the server (or maybe it can jus be renamed).Ill wait and see what Diedel wants to call it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

vulcanammo.oof. ;)

(Forgot it in my recent list)
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

I corrected the name of the OOF file and loaded up level 1 of CS. The vulcan ammo surrounding the vulcan cannon looks out of proportion. The shells look too big to fit in the barrel. I would like to see them shrunk to a suitable size and maybe have more shells in the clip so that the powerup doesn't look too small.

Visually though, I LOVE them. You are just brilliant Dizzy, keep 'em coming!!
Pilot from Oz