D2X-XL support ticket tracker - now on SourceForge.net!

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-XL support ticket tracker - now on SourceForge.net!

Post by Diedel »

I have decided to move the D2X-XL support system over to SourceForge.net (D2X-XL project main page), because it offers more options and flexibility.

Please post bug reports there in the future.

You will have to register (free) on SF.net to be able to file bug reports or feature requests. Once you have done that, you can load the D2X-XL project main page and click on 'bugs' or 'feature requests' and then on 'submit new'. You will be forwarded to a screen where you can post bug report or feature request. Once you have completed and submitted it, you will be given a tracker id with a link. Bookmark that link, or click the monitor button in the tracker item you just created to keep track of it (or it might get lost).

Sounds more complicated than it is, so please be so kind to use the new system. :)

simX is a technician in the SF.net D2X-XL project and can directly handle Mac specific bug reports there.

As I will also set up a D2X-XL source repository on SF.net in the not too distant future, imo this is the right step to putting D2X-XL on a broader and more public platform with an at least semi-professional structure, management and support system.

Support tickets made on Koolbear's site need not be re-reported there. ;)

Thank you KB for offering that service to us, the D2X community.

The bug reports threads in this forum will be put out of service.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

ummm...

Who is reading the support \"tickets\" and giving help?

And why are we having to goto another site for help when this one seems to work? :evil:

I'm sorry but, I don't like the look of this sofar. :(
This site is well known to the Descent community.
Most people will come here first before having to \"find out\" they have to goto another site for help. :roll:
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The ticket system is way better structured and more suitable for support like this.

People can adjust to new things, don't they?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Its like the saying, \"If it isn't broken, don't fix it.\"

Why is this better?

Why isn't the \"Support Ticket\" system not able to be used here?

You didn't say who is reading or giving helping with the support tickets?
You?

I hope so.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's fairly standard.

I guess the main advantage of a more organised system is that you are less likely to get forgotten, misunderstood due to loss of context etc. I've dealt with it a bit for an e-commerce system that the company I work at licenses for clients...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Exactly. It's much easier to keep track of bug reports.

There is an extra thread for every bug only containing messages directly related to that bug. There is a nice thread list that's easily overseen.

The only thing I miss is features like a check box 'ticket has been read', and ticket priority, so that the people who created them know what they're up to.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Aus: Ever use a system like Bugzilla? There's a reason they use systems like that instead of the old method of a mailing list. Things are less likely to get lost in the fray.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Are you going to post all of the thread information so far somewhere in the tracker for view, or leaving the previous Bug Reports open for view & just closing the thread?
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

Is there a way I can view outstanding tickets? I want to make sure the bug I'm reporting hasn't been reported before. I'm trying not to be negative, buy my initial impression is that this ticketing system is:

1. Ugly.
2. Devoid of features.
3. Not very useful.

Perhaps I'm just not giving it enough of a chance.

Mike
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

I can see how this system is a great help to Diedel, being able to close off fixed issues, but I also would like to be able to see what other people are posting.

I have no idea what is possible but a way to simply show that other people are also having the same problem may help to show Diedel what is a true bug and what is just a setup or configuration error by one person. [Idea!] A box to tick that you are also having this problem that would advance a counter.

eg problem X posted by afb
counter advanced to 4 by people who also show this problem
even people who ticked the box remembered while ticket is open so as to allow mailout for more info if required and a posting of a bug fixed-ticket closed note.

This would be a better system than just being able to add comments to someone elses ticket, which could get messy.

I do agree that the site still does need a bit of tweaking. Yellow text in white comboboxes is not good!
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Is it even possible to view other's support problems, the current layout would suggest otherwise.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Plus it doesn't show if anyone has even view the ticket. :roll:
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Diedel has mentioned that he loves this system and we know that he uses it, in fact I think he is the only one who answers it, so be patient and have good faith that each ticket is looked at and dealt with in good time.
Pilot from Oz
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:Plus it doesn't show if anyone has even view the ticket. :roll:
Yeah, that's something I'm not found of either.

I also don't like that you cannot view all posted tickets as normal user, and see whether your issue has been posted and maybe even dealt with already.

I may switch to Sourceforge.net's bug tracker in the future as I believe it supports such actions.
Neumaennl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neumaennl »

IIRC the SourceForge BugTracker System supports all the requested features
it's looking ugly, but that's something I think most people can live with :P
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ugly? The right place for bugs. ;)

Support system moved to SourceForge.net - see first post for details.
zif
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re: D2X-XL support ticket tracker - now on SourceForge.net!

Post by zif »

Diedel wrote:I have decided to move the D2X-XL support system over to SourceForge.net (D2X-XL project main page), because it offers more options and flexibility.
Your links page: http://www.descent2.de/links.html

Still has the Support ticket tracker linked to: http://www.6dofbb.com/help

Max
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Oops. Ok.