Creating a Hi-Res Cockpit

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Creating a Hi-Res Cockpit

Post by Weyrman »

I would like to try my hand at creating a hi-res cockpit. According to the Ctrl-Alt-Del comic definition I confess to being a real \"newb\", not to be confused with a \"noob\", at this sort of thing. :)

I have found the std cockpit graphic in the GroupA.pig file using DTX2 as suggested and I can copy it to a new POG file, but how do I get it into PaintShop? Is it as simple as screenshot, paste, trim to get something to work from?

Also, what format does the picture have to be in?

I'm quite willing to play around by myself after I get started, just HOW do I get started?

I assume that the current \"hi-res\" (640*480) cockpit is simply scaled up to fit the larger screens and that the keys and icons are also scaled up on some sort of positioning map that puts them in the right position.

Therefore, my assumption is that a 1024*768 screen will work as long all the \"holes\" are proportionately in the correct place.

I will also assume that it also is just a texture and will be used if the name is correct and in the textures folder.

That's a lot of assumptions I know and I guess that only time will tell if this idea is feasable or if my lack of understanding just causes a collective shaking of heads by those who know better.

Cheers
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You should be able to export it to a normal image file with DTX2 (e.g. bmp or gif), and then process it with photoshop or so. Make the new cockpit a RGBA TGA (uncompressed) and put it with the proper name into the textures folder. You cannot put it in a pog file or so; D2X-XL won't read it from there.
AverageJoe
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by AverageJoe »

I think the rendering order for the forward view is all messed up. from what I see this is how it should be setup:

Shield icons
Energy Icons
Primary/Secondary icons
COCKPITB.tga
Keys icons
Bomb numeric
Lock icon
Afterburner icon (Button pad for D1 missions)

Currently it appears that it's setup with COCKPITB.pcx and then everything else, but with the new alpha channel ability everything can be a whole lot cleaner for setup and rendering.
Searching for my head in vain...
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

Thank God. I've been waiting for a high res cockpit since...I used 1024x768 playing descent. Go Weyrman! Make some light up buttons too!

Also, on a related note, make D1 missions load a cockpit without afterburner bar. It looks kinda silly and is the most obvious problem with D1 missions in D2X-XL right now. That shouldnt be a massive problem to load a different cockpit for D1 missions, should it?
Weyrman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Weyrman »

Tempest, don't get your hopes up. This is a real first for me, more wish than ability I think, but I will give it a go! :)
Pilot from Oz
DizzyRox
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DizzyRox »

Oh yeah!!! a new cockpit 8)
Weyrman if there's any help you need I can help out with, feel free to shoot me a PM ,Id be glad to help in whatever way a can.
=Tempest=
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by =Tempest= »

I'll try not to get my hopes up, Weyrman, I guess I've been kinda spoiled with Dizzy's artwork...