D2X-XL stable release is dead

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

D2X-XL stable release is dead

Post by Diedel »

I would like to inform everybody that for some reason Zach Briggs and his team from Core Decision have not been able to live up to his promise to do PR and testing of D2X-XL and reliably and regularly provide stable releases of the program. The current stable release is completely outdated and will not be supported by the D2X-XL team. The links will be removed ASAP.

Diedel
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Who goes there to get the updates anyways? :lol:
Zach Briggs and his team from Core Decision have not been able to live up to his promise to do PR and testing of D2X-XL
Thats what we are here for! :D

Anyways.
I knew this was gonna happen waaaaaay back when the updates got further and further apart. ;)

I don't know about you, but to me, its no real lose. :P
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

Just goes to show what usually happens when you outsource work like that.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

Especially when it is outsourced to a busy company.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Zach had offered me to have D2X-XL regularly tested, do first level support for it, and keep a stable release. Since nothing of this has happened for months now, I don't have a choice here. It definitely doesn't make sense if people show up of SF.net asking for support on a prehistoric D2X-XL version.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

I wish you had talked to me about this before jumping to this conclusion.

Please do not push the responsibility of this onto the Core Decision team members, they had nothing to do with it. This has always been a voluteer effort and to my knowledge none of the Core Decision studio was involved. I was however, and two other people, not as members of that team or as members of the team. Our company offered you webspace, bandwidth, and attempted to adapt our matchmaking product to fit your needs as an effort from the company, but that however was dependant on those resources being available. After speaking with our president and CFO we have decided that we would more than gladly license the GameNet APIs to you, freely, for you to integrate with your own matchmaking application as we usually do with development studios and publishers for a significant fee, as a sign of good faith.

The reason we have not been as faithful as we had intended is that two of the other key people involved in the backing of that project have without notice gone off to do other things. I have been very busy with publishers and investors and since this was a personal project and my personal time is comprised presently of five hours to sleep at night it was difficult to provide current action on my own. However, to my knowledge though the trouble ticket system was still operating and tickets were getting responded to.

Now, if you would like us to test a build that you intend to work with us to make stable then you are more then welcome to email a link to development@highoctanesoftware.com for the download. Please provide an email address to send the bug reports to. I have hired another manager and three testers to handle the testing process.

Thank You,
Zachary Briggs, Vice President
HighOctane Software
(866)328-1886
zach@highoctane.biz
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

An e-mail would have been a common courtesy to try first before posting on a BB.

Thanks for taking the time zbriggs.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Duper,

I cannot see a fault on my side here. My above post was polite and did not make any assumptions (positive or negative) why stable release testing couldn't be performed. It's a neutral statement. I also cannot see why I should bother Zach with insisting on him fulfilling his offer when it came for free and he obviously has more important things to do than taking care of a decade old game. What I therefore needed to do was to draw a line under it to have everybody informed, as there were complaints about the latest stable release being hopelessly outdated.

Zach,

I had rather expected that you'd pick a release and test it, because I could bombard you with a new version every 2nd day. ;)

I also saw the main purpose in adding GameNet support to D2X-XL in allowing you to test GameNet w/o having to have a working CD game. As afaik there is no GameNet service available yet, that functionality is currently of no benefit to D2X-XL users playing online D1/D2 games.

You just get some more sleep and finish CD, alright? :)
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

GameNet is an operational product. We presently have 32 companies using it. A release point every two weeks would be optimal giving us time to locate and report all of the bugs.
Chaos Death Saurer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Chaos Death Saurer »

Since D2X-XL looks pretty stable to me, Deidel can put in new features and other cool stuff, and High Octane (or whoever is doing the testing besides us) can make sure the features work before going into new releases.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Actually I don't want to put in any new features right now. I want D2X-XL to become perfectly stable on all supported platforms. That means only bug fixes will be applied.