Game lags

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Game lags

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I find that D2XL lags on my PC. I'm sure it's because I only have P4 3ghz, 2 gig RAM and 512 Video card, but I would figure it shouldn't lag this much. Anyone else having this issue?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I only installed this to play a single level set but I'll stick with Rebirth.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's... possible. You can tweak the video settings to something that should run on that machine without issue though. Standard lighting, low or no smoke, maybe turn off some of the other effects, that should probably do it.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Been there done that. thx
Glowhyena
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Glowhyena »

That's why I personally prefer Rebirth.
MD1985
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

I like D2X-XL fer the purties.
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If D2X-XL still runs slow under -nostalgia, this would mean the issue is most likely with D2X-XL itself, not the render settings. I usually assume it's render settings that does it in most cases though, since they can make a huge difference to framerates.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

I prefer rebirth also. it's how Descent was made and I find that D2XL is a glorified version and is to different from the original. Like he was trying to make a whole new game but to lazy to code it from scrath.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Re:

Post by Isaac »

CDN_Merlin wrote:I prefer rebirth also. it's how Descent was made and I find that D2XL is a glorified version and is to different from the original. Like he was trying to make a whole new game but to lazy to code it from scrath.
I think it's more difficult to develop a D2 mod than to buy a game engine that's packaged with the developer in mind. D2 wasn't made with the intention of being modded like this. Of course if you wanted to mock the developer of D2XL your post does make sense; though he hasn't been rude to me I've read past threads and understand your emotions...
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

D2X-XL kind of grew into what it is today, more than being a conscious effort to make a \"new game\".

Though I do wonder, if this forum is pretty much only being used to bash the program, why do we even have it on the DBB any more?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

I think removing it would require lots of effort. This site is suppose to have lots of custom code that makes it unwieldy to work with, or so I hear.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

It's based on phpBB, there'd still be an administration panel capable of stuff like that.

But on casting my mind back, I think someone like Lothar had some reason for not removing this board. So, I guess things will be the way they will be. It isn't particularly useful now though, since you're lucky if you'll even get tech support answers satisfactorily answered. The best I can do is the equivalent of those guys in call-centres who just ask questions off a pre-prepared script.
NUMBERZero
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NUMBERZero »

Try turning off all of the smoke effects. That's what gets me.

Now all I have to worry about is its internal dice deciding whether it wants to actually work for the day or not. You roll a 7, and it fails for a month. You roll a 5, and something somewhere is broken. Snake eyes and 12 is when it works perfectly....

And yeah, the only real thing that attracts me to XL would be the Pumo Mines. (UnGodly amounts of kick ass! Although the characters are slightly questionable. No matter!)
\"PUT THE BALL INNNNNN!!!!!!\"--What I was screaming on 3/7/09 PD Reunion Monsterball game
Descent 3 Anarchy: \"Just you, your ship, and a whole bunch of weapons to turn your enemies into slag.\"--TopGun
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

I agree with the others - Rebirth blows Diedel's DLX-XL2-LX (or whatever the ignorant name is) out of the water. There's no comparison between the two. a buggy poor attempt -vs- Rebirth, a solid playing game.

The poor guy that wrote the D2x-LX2 or whatever it is, is a piece of work himself.

Of course, as many already know and I've just learned, he'll ban you and then talk about you over at his dump forum where you can't comment or defend yourself.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Sirius »

Swazook wrote:Of course, as many already know and I've just learned, he'll ban you and then talk about you over at his dump forum where you can't comment or defend yourself.
Actually, funny thing about the DBB...
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I come to see what people are talking about in this corner of the forum that should be pretty much a ghost town...

The guy has been banned for years now and people still gripe about him. I guess one thing you can definitely say about Diedel is that his character leaves a lasting impression on all who bump into it. :P
Swazook
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Swazook »

Character? Surely you jest. The mental incompetent has zero character. And the only impression he left is \"passing\" - sort of like gas.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

This forum isn't a place for your dislike with the XL dev.

Got a problem with a \"person\" or \"forum\"?
Take it to the \"Feedback\" forum.

Please don't troll in this forum.