Trying to get D2X-XL to work on the GOG version

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Zeether
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Trying to get D2X-XL to work on the GOG version

Post by Zeether »

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I have an issue. I have been trying to get D2X-XL to work with the version of Descent 2 that is on GOG (Good Old Games) and I've had nothing but trouble with the whole thing. I have everything in the proper folders as the install guide shows, all the .hog and .pig files in the data folder and such, and the game runs but there is no music and the wall textures are missing.

Is my problem due to the game being the GOG version and not the retail CD?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Nope. Probably config, if I were to guess, but it's very hard to know for sure. Maybe it's looking for high-resolution textures that aren't there.
Zeether
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Zeether »

That may be it. I didn't set up a config file for d2x in the folder and that could be why the textures don't show up.

I'll try it and see.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You could also try D2X Rebirth. I find it works better and looks more like the original.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Re: Trying to get D2X-XL to work on the GOG version

Post by karx11erx »

Please send people asking for D2X-XL help here to my forum instead of trying to push them in the direction of your own preferences.

karx
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Not trying to push then into my own direction. Trying to give them another option.
MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK Z490;Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8GHz;EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super KO Gaming 8GB GDDR6;SeaSonic FOCUS GX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Gold;A-Data XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND PCIe NVMe M.2 2280;WD Black 6TB 7200RPM 256MB 3.5" SATA3;Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower;Asus SDRW-08D2S-U 8X Slim DVD-RW External Drive;Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 32GB 2x16 3600 DDR4 C18; Win 10 64Bit
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

I think Zeether's video drivers may need an update.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

what do video card drivers have to do with a compatibility issue?
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

Ferno, missing/unseen textures can be either a config issue (I've had this happen when I put the hi-res textures in the wrong folder) or sometimes a video driver issue (I've seen this happen with onboard video).

Karx is right, D2X-XL issues should be referred to the D2X-XL forum, where users can get quick help.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Foil couldn't have said it better.

If basic things do not work in D2X-XL, then it's most likely a setup issue of some kind of the affected user, since they do work for the great majority of users. The best thing to do in that case is to direct people with such problems to the place where they can be helped best (and not to take the chance and live out one's preoccupation against D2X-XL or its maintainer by recommending them an alternative not really offering what they are looking for - or they wouldn't have bothered to try and run D2X-XL at first; a conclusion which seems like a simple case of logic to me).

I have never had a problem to recommend Rebirth to people in case D2X-XL really wouldn't run, or run acceptably well, on their computers; but before it comes that far the D2X-XL community will do their best to help.