D2X-XL has turned 7!

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

D2X-XL has turned 7!

Post by karx11erx »

Some time around these weeks seven years ago, I have started with the humble beginnings of what has grown into D2X-XL.

We're still at v1.15 since the last anniversary, but nevertheless lots of good things have happened, like the DLE-XP overhaul, multiplayer finally being fixed for good, performance bottlenecks having been removed, and multiple ship support as well as new effects (glow, shockwaves) having been added. If you read the v1.15 version history your main impression will be a long list of "fixed, fixed, fixed, improved, fixed, fixed ..." comments, telling that the majority of changes were bug fixes and improvements, meaning a considerably more stable program today than a year ago. :)

Stickied - KB
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re: D2X-XL has turned 7!

Post by KoolBear »

I agree it is a beautiful piece of work. I am glad you started on it! I know it has beena rough one but from my point of view a rewarding one!

Thanks for the time that you and your family have given to this project!
<*}}}><
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

You're welcome, KB. :)
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Hey Diedel congrats amn and I wish you and the entire D2X-XL team a fantastic 7th Anniversary!!!! Cools man, here an octopus from me bud :E :mrgreen:
Blue-Leader: Dual Six-Core AMD OpteronDP 2435 D0, 4x 4096MB PC2-6400 ECC Reg Kingston Value Ram, Supermicro H8DAE-2
Firefox: Dual Two-Core AMD OpteronDP 285 E6, 4x 2048MB PC-3200 ECC Reg HP/Micron Server Ram, ASUS K8N-DL
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

D2X-XL is a great piece of work, D. I've been enjoying it even more lately, with the new features and improvements. :D
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Thanks. :)
deathbeam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by deathbeam »

In my humble opinion, D2X-XL is the best I have seen in the way of Descent/6DOF. An amazing resurrection which is still eating up just as much of my time as the original was when it was new to me.

I am grateful for your work and credit you for having a job well done... Or a job being well done.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Thx. Still working on it. Just improved smoke handling (once again).