Better lightmaps for D2X-XL

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Better lightmaps for D2X-XL

Post by karx11erx »

After a lot of hard work, D2X-XL now has substantially improved lightmap based lighting producing quite realistic, soft shadowing:

flip
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re: Better lightmaps for D2X-XL

Post by flip »

Nice!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Oh, my gamer gawdz.

Is it ok if I call that image sexy?
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-★ ·:*¨༺꧁༺ :E ༻꧂༻¨*:·.★-⎽__⎽-⎻⎺⎺⎻-⎽__⎽--⎻⎺⎺⎻-
❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉⊱•═•⊰❉
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Descent 2? Looks like Descent 3. :shock:
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

Yeah, that level uses Descent 3 textures. It's a D2X-XL level (i.e. it uses D2X-XL specific extensions on top of the standard D2 level format). If you would like to take a look at the entire level, you can find it on my web site: Chose "my missions - multiplayer" in the side scrolling menu at the left of the home page, then use the side scrolling menu at the destination page to quickly jump to a particular level.

TombZ of D3struction, Pyrotechnica (D3), Pyromaniac (D3), Styx (D3), Tank Boy, Glass House, Speed and Toxic Descent are other levels of that category.

There are other cool missions making use of D2X-XL extensions (you probably know them already), like Pumo's 3 level "Kartsal" demo where he virtually modded everything, Sirius "Anthology", Aus-RED-5's monsterball multiplayer level "Monsterball Arena" (D2X-XL has a monsterball game mode, too), and Yokelassence's "The Sphere" and "Dimensional Intersect". Wolfie has made a very cool 6 level multiplayer mission named "Chaos Theory XL" which I have refactored into D2X-XL levels using D3 textures.

You can find an up to date D2X-XL gameplay video showing many of these levels on Youtube.
karx11erx
DX-XL Master
DX-XL Master

Post by karx11erx »

If you want to see more "sexy" D2X-XL images, take a look into my latest worklog article about lightmaps.