Which executable to use?

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Which executable to use?

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've seen the right executable to launch D2XXL when using a multicore processor, d2x-xl-omp.exe, but what is that other one located in the x64 folder, d2x-xl-x64.exe, and should that be used for Windows 7 64 bit? Just asking before I try and launch D2XXL.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: Which executable to use?

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

I use the normal d2x-xl.exe for my 64bit Win7.

Though my XL setup is out dated for some time now because I have other interest.
Prepare for DESCENT!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

OK, thanks. I gather since I have a multicore i7 920 processor that I should use d2x-xl-omp.exe as per Diedel's instructions.

How far can I ramp up the all the visual goodies with an Nvidia GTX 480?

I also did get that side by side error even though I had Visual C++ 2008 already on my system. So I reinstalled the SP1 version to make sure I had all the .dll libraries. I even installed the x64 version and patched that just to be sure. I'll see if D2XXL loads without the error this time.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

My system specs:
Case:CorsairObsidian650D Black
Motherboard:ASUS SabertoothX58
CPU:IntelCore i7 960 3.20ghz
Heat Sink: Corsair H100 CPUWaterCooler
Memory:Corsair6GB (3 x 2048mb)DDR31600 Dominator (PC12800-TR3X6G1600C8D)
Video Card:ATi SAPPHIRE RadeonHD 79703GB GDDR5OCEdition
HardDrives:SSD Corsair Force Series 3F120 120GB & WD5003ABYXEnterpriseRE4 500GB
Media Player:LG BH10LS30 BluRay Burner
PowerSupply:Corsair HX-850

I haven't had much problem with max setting, but max particle, shadows and smoke will still slow the frame rate in heavy battles.
Always best to keeps things just below max if your system can't handle the load. ;)
Prepare for DESCENT!
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

I've got that very same Corsair 850 PW (really nice unit) and the i7 920 CPU. I am hobbled by my motherboard, an ASUS Rampage III Gene with that stupid Marvel Controller running the only two 6 gbps SATA connectors on the board. I also don't have an SSD yet, although I do have 12G of RAM. I can still upgrade from my Nvidia GTX 480 if need be. I do have a micro ATX case, and I had to really mess around with adding fans here and there just to keep the videocard cool. Never had any heat issues with the air cooled CPU tower however. It takes up a big chunk of the case and it's fan covers one of the memory slots, which I'm not using at the moment however.