D2X-XL Bug Reports - Mac OS X

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Before his disappearance, Lehm had described a faster lightmap generation method to me, but I couldn't get it to work ... :(
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Thats ok...
On my computer, it only take 1 to 3 seconds anyways. ;)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ok. Now load my level Glass House and enable lightmaps. D'uh.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

heh... took 1 second! :P
nahhh 13 seconds.

I have a possible bug report BTW.
Posting in the MS Windows thread. :)
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

More bugs (probably not Mac OS X-specific)

Post by simX »

A few notes:

I've noticed that the brightness problem is still not fixed. When I load a saved game or start a new game in D2X-XL, the brightness is artificially high. However, when I display any menu while in-game, the brightness temporarily returns to normal. Then when I exit the menu and return the game, the brightness returns to being too high.

Also, I cannot start a new Descent 1 game. I noticed that shortly after 1.5.86, loading Descent 1 games stopped working. It works again now, at least for loading from saved Descent 1 games. Starting a new Descent 1 game does not work -- it says \"Prepare for Descent\", and then the screen goes black except for a few polygons that are visible.

One final thing: after shooting out lights, the light that was previously emanating from those lights continues to be emitted, even though there should be no more light coming from that location. (UPDATE: I take that back, it only happens on SOME levels. One specific level where this bug happens is level 17 in Descent 1. Maybe it's Descent 1-specific?)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Brightness bug: Cannot reproduce
D1 start mission bug: Had this, works now on Win32 + Linux
Light bug: Could be a level problem, as light deltas are precomputed. If that data is wrong, lights will continue to shine even if shot out. You could check that by loading such a level into DLE-XP, illuminating it, saving it (to another level), and shooting the lights in the modified level. If you need to extract a level from e.g. descent 1, use DLE-XPs module handler (gets launched when loading a hog file), and export all required files. Then create a new hog file and import these files.

Can you debug and check where the game hangs when starting a D1 mission?
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:Brightness bug: Cannot reproduce
Hmm, is there any way to help you figure out where the problem is? I don't suppose the debug log would help.
Light bug: Could be a level problem, as light deltas are precomputed. If that data is wrong, lights will continue to shine even if shot out. You could check that by loading such a level into DLE-XP, illuminating it, saving it (to another level), and shooting the lights in the modified level. If you need to extract a level from e.g. descent 1, use DLE-XPs module handler (gets launched when loading a hog file), and export all required files. Then create a new hog file and import these files.
Well, as far as I know, DLE-XP doesn't run on Mac OS X, correct? It seemed to be only for Windows as far as I could tell.
D1 start mission bug: Had this, works now on Win32 + Linux. Can you debug and check where the game hangs when starting a D1 mission?
Hmm, that's weird. I can't reproduce the problem I described anymore (I didn't update the app, though). However, when I start a new Descent 1 game and start at any level, the textures are completely wrong.

You also asked me to test some custom levels with D2X-XL for Mac OS X. As expected, there are some major problems. Your glass house level, for example, fails to load at all -- it just stalls at the "Prepare for Descent" screen. There's a bunch of cfile_get_filehandle and cfile_find_hogfile errors about fonts. You can get the full debug log for this level at http://homepage.mac.com/simx/d2x-glass-house.log . The error that I get on the command-line is:

Code: Select all

Fatal signal: Bus Error (SDL Parachute Deployed)
There are also some in-level problems, not just level-load problems. For example, on Aquarium 2, I can successfully load the mission and play for a while, but there's a specific spot where I can always cause a crash: when entering the energy regeneration field (with the yellow sparklies). I get this error in the command line when it finally crashes:

d2x-xl(12795,0xa000ed68) malloc: ***  Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x1700; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug
I remember this error being implicated in another bug where if you started a second mission in one D2X-XL session (without quitting the app in between missions), it would also crash with this error. (This problem doesn't seem to happen anymore, btw.)

The debug log from Aquarium 2 can be accessed at http://homepage.mac.com/simx/d2x-aquarium-2.log . Note that in this log, the last line:

Error: Illegal side type in render_side, type = 16, segment # = 409, side # = 4
appeared hundreds of times, but I deleted the duplicate lines (except for three of them). Also, in both this log and the glass house log, I deleted the hundreds of lines that were complaining about d2x.hog not being present. (I left a set of three debug lines in both logs, but took out the duplicates.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Looks like all levels with custom textures have problems. Sigh - I need a Mac, but the way donations come, I will have one in 5 years from now. And I am not gonna buy one from my own money, because I really only need one to make the Mac D2X-XL users happy. Heck, even if someone around where I live would lend me one for two or four weeks would be sufficient ...
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel --

One other thing: I've noticed in the MacUpdate/VersionTracker pages for D2X-XL, people are still having trouble taking two seconds to read the requirements and realizing that they need the original Descent 2 game disks to run D2X-XL. Perhaps instead of silently failing, you should present a menu that tells you that you need the original game data?

-- simX
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Yes, I probably should. People can be so incredibly dumb.
Nikolai
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Nikolai »

Diedel wrote:I need a Mac, but the way donations come, I will have one in 5 years from now. And I am not gonna buy one from my own money, because I really only need one to make the Mac D2X-XL users happy. Heck, even if someone around where I live would lend me one for two or four weeks would be sufficient ...
As far as I know, Apple entered into alliance with Intel. And soon it will be possible to install MacOS X (future versions) on any PC with Intel CPU.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Nikolai wrote:And soon it will be possible to install MacOS X (future versions) on any PC with Intel CPU.
Lol we've been through this before in another thread. Mac OS X on any PC will probably not happen anytime soon, for better or for worse.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Afaik Apple will add some extra hardware to their Intel based computers to prevent OS X being executable on any other Intel hardware. If I look at how Apple treats their customers, I wonder whether I'd be better off with M$.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:If I look at how Apple treats their customers, I wonder whether I'd be better off with M$.
Heh, as far as I'm concerned, I'll gladly sacrifice having to pay a bit extra for Apple's hardware to get an operating system that has zero viruses. That alone is worth the extra cost (not to mention so many other benefits).
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

It's not the price. Apple is on the forefront of applying DRM measures. I don't know of another company tieing their customers up that bad (apart from Sony, heh, but apparently they're too dumb :mrgreen: ).
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:It's not the price. Apple is on the forefront of applying DRM measures. I don't know of another company tieing their customers up that bad (apart from Sony, heh, but apparently they're too dumb :mrgreen: ).
Well, it's not like Microsoft is exactly innocent in this area either. Plus, you're still able to buy physical CDs -- you're not forced to buy anything from the iTMS. On the other hand, the RIAA would never have agreed to any sort of music store without DRM, and the iTMS DRM isn't that bad. In fact, you can strip it using iTunes simply by burning your music files to an Audio CD and then re-ripping them (you lose quality through this process, though).

I do agree that DRM as a concept is evil and I wish that no one had invented it. But I do enjoy using the iTMS because it's much more convenient than going to a record store. I guess DRM is the price of convenience, and some people are willing to make that trade-off.

I suppose you could also say that our patent system/copyright system/current laws are the root cause of the DRM problem, because without effectively infinite copyright periods, a crappy patent approval system, and fair use-hostile laws like the DMCA, DRM probably wouldn't have ever been invented.

But I suppose I'm preaching to the choir at this point, and I'm also muddying up a thread that's dedicated to something else, so I'll be quiet now.
NineLives
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by NineLives »

My copy just plain isn't going into fullscreen.

My ini file reads...

-fullscreen

That's what I need, right?
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

In theory, that should be the switch. Have you tried toggling it in the display options menu? I know that it has worked through there in the past. :)
NineLives
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by NineLives »

Oh I see. I didn't notice that if I scrolled all the way down in the menu [Options -> Screen Resolution] that there would be a fullscreen option.

Also, you have to checkmark it (hit the spacebar with it selected) and THEN press return. It will go to fullscreen after that. I was thinking it should go when I hit the box, but - meh. :)

Thanks for the help!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Press Alt+Enter to toggle fullscreen at any time. If there is no Alt key on Mac keyboards, I will add Cmd+Enter (or so, there are special Mac keys used in the D2X-XL code).
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Diedel -- the Mac equivalent of the \"alt\" key is \"option\", and I stumbled inadvertently upon that feature and it works fine. Now if only you could rectify the space/enter problem with switching screen resolutions/full-screen mode... ;)
NineLives
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by NineLives »

D2 is working beautifully, thank you. My old GeForce 2 MX doesn't appear to handle some of the new lighting features, but that's fine.

D1 is another story. :)

With pig file

Without pig file

Without the pig may look fine, but on the first trial it crashed when I destroyed the first mine, and on the second I made it through the exit, but it said I died in the mine and then skipped level 2 and started me at level 3. :?

It's no big deal, as I like D2 much more anyways. Just felt I should report!
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Following message moved to proper thread:
mbellon wrote:1.5.110 crashes on startup for me. PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 Ghz with 4.5 GB of RAM. The OS version is 10.4.4 and it's up to date as far as Apple is concerned.

I created a folder on my desktop for trying things out. Followed the instructions (used /Library/... for SDL) and grabbed the contents of Data from the Descent 2 CD.

If I can get this to work I'll be happy to make a nice donation!

Any advise?
Diedel
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

mbellon,

Are you using the data from the Mac version of Descent 2? I haven't been able to personally test the Mac data files, as I only have the dos/win95 version.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Just for reference, my descent 1 textures are also looking like the messed up screenshot above when I have the descent.pig file in place. This didn't happen before, and is a pretty recent regression.

For reference, I have both the Mac data files for Descent 1 and Descent 2, and they've always worked fine (in both D2X and D2X-XL) up into the most recent iterations of D2X-XL. I can provide a download of them, if either diedel or kaelan wants to test them.
kaelan
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kaelan »

I'd love to have a set of Mac data to test with. Since it works right now, its not a big rush. But if you have the chance to post it up, PM the URL to me... or alternatively, I can setup an ftp account that you could upload it to (so that you don't need to use up your webspace).

As far as D1 textures, I know that they have looked fine in the past... I'll check it out again and see if I can find the source of the problem.

In regards to the Quad, I should be able to look into it further. I actually just got one a couple weeks ago. Haven't had a chance to try running D2X on it though. But it does compile fast... :D
NineLives
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by NineLives »

The FMV sequences on the Mac are also different. Is there any interest in working those in as well?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

The texture problem looks like a palette problem. simX, can you find out with which D2X-XL the problem started? I can give you source archives of most of the recent versions if you need them.

Imo getting networking and new level format to work on OS X would be more important though.

If I had a Mac ... :roll: ... most Mac users seem to be stingy. Maybe they're all broke because their hardware was so expensive. :P
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:The texture problem looks like a palette problem. simX, can you find out with which D2X-XL the problem started? I can give you source archives of most of the recent versions if you need them.

Imo getting networking and new level format to work on OS X would be more important though.

If I had a Mac ... :roll: ... most Mac users seem to be stingy. Maybe they're all broke because their hardware was so expensive. :P
I will try to figure out which version started the D1 palette problem. I do agree that networking and the new level format are higher priorities, but I don't see anything we can do at this point given that you don't have a Mac.
ansaytor
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

donating

Post by ansaytor »

Hello All,
I'm new to the boards, have downloaded the osX version and have been playing around with it (ok, I'm on level 23, D1:) anyway, I'd really like to see multiplayer working . . . and would be willing to donate, however, after entering in a donate amount and clicking 'go' I get nothing. I've tried it in Safari and Firefox. There's probably a solution that I haven't had time to find and read . . .

Also, about how much are you short for a mini?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You need to donate via Paypal, that's the only possibility currently.

I have received about USD 250 so far.

Dunno what a mini costs here though.
Vorn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vorn »

Several bugs, all from the latest version on OS X 10.3.9 with all the latest patches (as of the post date, 21 February):

1. there's no button in the options menu to set fullscreen.
2. -grabmouse grabs the mouse but does not properly let it go on exit: for the remainder of the session the mouse worked fine but the cursor was completely invisible, and I had to relaunch the entire WindowServer to get it back.
3. without -grabmouse, mouse control does not work properly: when the mouse hits the edge of the screen, you cannot turn more in that direction.
4. the Mouse Sensitivity slider on Controls doesn't stick - the slider can be modified, but does not remain at its position after you leave the screen the slider is on, and does not affect gameplay at all.
5. light mapping with lighted weapons fire, in D1 at least, doesn't work properly: weapons fire light /replaces/ other lights instead of adding to them.
6. I cannot connect to a server running on Windows or Linux on the latest; I get an error about the level data not matching, despite matching md5 sums.

I'm trying to build the latest, but I think I need to tell configure/make to use the OpenGL framework thing. Once I figure that out I'll be able to see what's left.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have just uploaded v1.5.128 for OS X - try that one, it should address at least some of these issues.

You can toggle fullscreen anywhere in the program by pressing Alt+Enter.
Vorn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vorn »

That one definitely doesn't work. playing Descent 1 shows no walls at all, but they still act like they're there - doors and monitors still activate when you shoot them, by the sound of things. Changing Wall Transparency in the options has no effect. Also the enemies are all still there and visible. Finally, it crashes to desktop after about 15 seconds of this. I have all the appropriate files from the Descent 1 CD.

I'm trying to figure out how on earth you built this; using the config files essentially assumes that I'm on Linux and tries to use OpenGL headers specific to X11 (GL/glx.h, for instance), but there's no xCode or PB files.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Vorn: There's an .xcodeproj file in there that allows you to build D2X-XL through Xcode. However, I am getting the same problem as Vorn: playing Descent 1 makes all walls completely black (you can still fly around a bit and kill baddies and stuff, the walls are just all black). Not sure if this is related to the previous texture bug or not, but it might. (It looks like the level works perfectly fine, because if you load level one and turn around, it still says \"this door can not be unlocked\" like it should.)

If this is an OS X specific bug, I'll look into figuring out which version caused the texture regression.

(Note: Descent 2 works perfectly fine.)
Vorn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vorn »

okay, now that I've found the pbxproj file, what do I do with it? neither Project Builder nor X-Code seem to be able to do anything at all with it - Project Builder gets nowhere, and X-Code beeps at me but says nothing.
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by simX »

Are you downloading from the repository? There should be no \"pbxproj\" file -- you should see a \"xcodeproj\" file. You should be able to double-click that to open the D2X-XL project in Xcode.

[EDIT: Hmm. There actually IS a \"pbxproj\" file, but it's INSIDE the \"xcodeproj\" file. You should open the xcodeproj file, not show it's package contents.]
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have completely changed Descent 1 texture handling, and the black walls bug might be related to a problem in the code reading the texture index data. In your OS X project, some data structures have different sizes than in the Win32 version, and if I haven't got this all exactly right, you will have problems with the D1 textures on OS X. Dang. The function is main/piggy.c::D1_bm_read_game_data(). Problematic are all those places in this function where entire data structures are read using cfread().

simx, you could help me by giving me the following values from your Xcode generated D2X-XL version:

sizeof (jointpos)
sizeof (jointlist)
sizeof (D1_weapon_info)
sizeof (powerup_type_info)
sizeof (polymodel)
sizeof (player_ship)

(char*) &pm.model_data_size - (char*) &pm

There's so many Mac D2X-XL users (I've had thousands of downloads of the Mac version), but almost none of them donates some money, and I just cannot afford a Mac. Heck, it looks like we do not even have enough money to finish building our house.
Vorn
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Vorn »

...repository? I'm just downloading the source folder from the main d2x-xl downloads page on descent2.de. I have a folder that is named d2x-xl.xcodeproj.

Also, the walls aren't black, the walls are invisible, like, you can't tell they're there at all unless you shoot them, and you can see monsters and the like through them.

And I'd send you money, Diedel, but the $20 in my wallet is all I have to my name.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Vorn,

thank you very much. 20$ is not bad. :)

Vorn,

if you can compile D2X-XL on OS X, can you get me the sizeof and offset data I have posted above? Just put some code like:

i = sizeof (jointpos);
i = sizeof (...);

in D1_bm_read_game_data(), set a breakpoint on the first sizeof statement, iterate them and note the numbers.