Diedel and other people DLE-XP import/export functionality

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Diedel and other people DLE-XP import/export functionality

Post by jshaner »

I know that DLE-XP edits the mine 3d files that descent uses. I have used it to make basic mines myself. I know that it is very hard for the average joe to make even wannabe terrain, like seen in the new Anthology level by Sirius, except his was really good. I think that it would be pretty cool to have the ability to import or export 3d model files (probably ASE or 3DS) in DLE-XP. It would completely update how descent II looks. You could even import levels from other games, or maybe export to port the level to another game engine.

I think, if it is even nearly possible, that the whole (and don't get me wrong, the blocky design of D1/D2 can be addicting) idea of what descent looks like would be astounding if it had the ability. But i am not a programmer, and i am not sure if DLE-XP really works with 3d files, but with basic blocks connected to each other. Even if it is not a distinct possibility, i think Diedel has the skill required to do such a modification. I think also that many of those D3 fans might switch over to D2X-XL.

The only thing is, that the textures would be an issue, but i don't consider that a major thing, the whole import/export would be cool enough for me.

I would appreciate some feedback on what all of you DBBers think about this, as it would revolutionize D2 as we know it. I would really like to hear from Diedel too, as he is the maker of DLE-XP(i think).
Wishmaster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Wishmaster »

It's not possible for D2X-XL because of the cube structure. You're correct on that; the engine depends on cubes.

Do you have Descent 3? D3 levels can be created from a 3DS model thanks to the different engine D3 uses.
C:\\>cd games\\descent
C:\\GAMES\\DESCENT>descent
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re: Diedel and other people DLE-XP import/export functionali

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

jshaner wrote:I would really like to hear from Diedel too, as he is the maker of DLE-XP(i think).
Re Post the question plus your idea over at the D2X-XL forum on his website.

Now that it's back up. You won't find him here much anymore.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:
jshaner wrote:I would really like to hear from Diedel too, as he is the maker of DLE-XP(i think).
Re Post the question plus your idea over at the D2X-XL forum on his website.

Now that it's back up. You won't find him here much anymore.
I tried to register but i never got a confirmation e-mail. :(
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

Wishmaster wrote:It's not possible for D2X-XL because of the cube structure. You're correct on that; the engine depends on cubes.

Do you have Descent 3? D3 levels can be created from a 3DS model thanks to the different engine D3 uses.
Ah, i kind of thought that was so with D2. Yes, i have D3 and I also have D3 mercenary. How would i import a .3ds file to use as a level? (in D3EDIT) I have never figured out how to do that.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

jshaner wrote:I tried to register but i never got a confirmation e-mail. :(
Diedel wrote:On rare occasions a registration didn't even make it into the forum database. Please retry and send the nickname you have chosen to karx11erx at hotmail d0t com so I can check this.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Floyd »

jshaner wrote:How would i import a .3ds file to use as a level? (in D3EDIT) I have never figured out how to do that.
http://www.planetdescent.com/site/files ... opment.asp

look for "2ORF" and/or "PD3 to OOFGen" (then "OOF to ORF")