cubes within cubes

Read and write DLE-XP bug reports, suggestions and general discussion here. Home Page

Moderator: Aus-RED-5

reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

cubes within cubes

Post by reetus »

ok here goes.....This is my question: How do I put a cube inside of a cube?

I've built a room out of blocks, solid, not hollow. I want to insert some blocks inside on the walls but I can't seem to do it. I've tried everything, deleting a wall and trying to put the texture on the wall but it won't accept that, the texture doesn't show up and the only types of walls it allows to put up are fans and grates etc.I've tried using the blank texture on opposing blocks and sometimes this works but it flickers and doesn't look right. I've tried copying a block and pasting it inside but the textures don't show up. The block with the different textures is in there and sometimes it shows up in the editor but when I fly into the room it's not there. I realize this is a new user question and with experimentation I will probably figure it out but in the meantime could anyone offer some suggestions?

Maybe building the structures I want to be inside the room and then encasing them in blocks?

I have no idea what I'm doing and I've managed to figure out just about everything else related to this thing but this has got me stumped completely.

Please help if possible even a webpage that I could read with instructions on how to build large rooms with blocks inside?

But other than this really enjoying using this thing it's so great I just wish I could get past this stumbling block I've encountered.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

reetus,

you cannot build structures consisting of isolated cubes into other cubes. All cubes in D1/D2 need to be connected at their sides. If you put a cube inside a cube, it will not be visible or accessible from a position in the outer cube. This is a limitation of the game engine. You would have to split the cubes in the containing room into smaller ones (e.g. with DLE-XP's split cube command).

Take a look at other authors' levels. There are many great levels on my D2 site's level spotlight (try Kruel's singleplayer levels). You can also check the levels from my singleplayer mission Warp Shockwave.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

No easy way to do it. The best suggestion I can give you is to go find Kruel's mission ... Kryllidian Krusade I think it was - find I think the third level with all the lava, and check how he did the broken bits of rock fallen from the roof.

That's what you're going to have to do. It takes quite a bit of head-banging at times, but once you get used to it it isn't so bad.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I think you mean Konflikt At Karon - the third level there is a lava level. Find it on my level spotlight pages.
reetus
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by reetus »

Well I did manage to acheive what I wanted to do, I wasn't really trying to put a cube inside unattached to a wall but the way my question was worded it appeared as though that is what I was trying to do. What I was trying to do was attach cubes to the walls inside of the room I had built and was having trouble doing that but now I've figured it out. I paste the cube into the room with textures applied already, when you fly into the room you won't see the cube but it is there. In order to make the cube visible what I did was highlighted the cube in the editor, use the wall editor to change the sides, inside and out, to an illusion first. Re-apply the desired texture making the strength 100%, then change the wall to \"closed\",both sides.

Maybe I'm doing it the hard way but this seems to work for me.I imagine this is the way to make a floating cube in the middle of a room too I know I've seen missions with that I think it was Ironblade, not sure but I have seen it.

Well anyway thanks for the replies anyone who did reply and I'm going back to working on this pup because it's the most fun I've had with this pc since I bought it!

Thanks
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Ah. I'm not quite sure why that would cause problems, but anyway - what works works.

Yes Diedel, that was the one. I'm just not so good with the names of Kruel's levels I guess.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I put almost all of them on my level spotlight after having played them - which wasn't very long ago. KaK and KKr have impressed me very much. Well ... almost all of Kruel's levels are impressive ... :)