HELP! d2x-rebirth-gl.exe does nothing! PROBLEM SOLVED

DXX Rebirth Descent I/II for modern systems, maintains the look and feel of the original. Home Page

Moderator: zico

Post Reply
User avatar
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 pm

HELP! d2x-rebirth-gl.exe does nothing! PROBLEM SOLVED

Post by shaleblade » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:10 pm

When I try to open it, nothing happens.
Absolutely nothing.
Same with D1.
Any ideas?
Oh, and I kept the games in a sepertae folder from D3, if that matters D:.
Help? Anyone? :?

Go away. Done. Goodbye :P.
User avatar
Ferno
DBB Stoner
DBB Stoner
Posts: 14341
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 1998 3:01 am

Post by Ferno » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm

does it give you any kind of readout?

do you double click the exe to launch it?
User avatar
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Re:

Post by shaleblade » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:52 pm

Ferno wrote:does it give you any kind of readout?

do you double click the exe to launch it?
No readout. It just gives me the "waiting..." cursor for a split second, and then nothing.
Yes, I'm doubleclicking :P.
User avatar
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master
Posts: 9485
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 1998 12:01 pm
Location: Capital Of Canada

Post by CDN_Merlin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:41 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but did you install D1 or D2 first and then extracted the files into the folder and ran it?
User avatar
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend
Posts: 1604
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:27 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Contact:

Post by Aus-RED-5 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:06 am

Plus, what's your system specs and what ini settings are you using?
That's helpful too. ;)
User avatar
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Re:

Post by shaleblade » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:09 pm

CDN_Merlin wrote:I know this sounds stupid, but did you install D1 or D2 first and then extracted the files into the folder and ran it?
._.
Boy do I feel stupid.
I had NO idea we needed D1 or D2 installed.
I thought this was basically downloading the entire game.
Hahahahaha! :lol:
User avatar
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 5434
Joined: Fri May 28, 1999 2:01 am
Location: Bellevue, WA
Contact:

Post by Sirius » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:39 pm

OK, what would have given you warning of that is that Rebirth is far too small.

Generally, any game made with some kind of content will use at least tens to a couple hundred megabytes of data, in addition to the executable (at least in the old days; they hit the gigabytes now). If you're downloading something smaller than that, well, it's probably not the full thing.
User avatar
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Re:

Post by shaleblade » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Sirius wrote:OK, what would have given you warning of that is that Rebirth is far too small.

Generally, any game made with some kind of content will use at least tens to a couple hundred megabytes of data, in addition to the executable (at least in the old days; they hit the gigabytes now). If you're downloading something smaller than that, well, it's probably not the full thing.
:3.
Well, the empty missions folder was a little suspiscious.
Tee hee X3.
User avatar
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Post by Duper » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:09 pm

No aspersions on you blade, but it surprises me how often this is happening.
User avatar
shaleblade
DBB Ace
DBB Ace
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:54 pm

Re:

Post by shaleblade » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Duper wrote:No aspersions on you blade, but it surprises me how often this is happening.
When you say 'how often', do you mean how often people are thinking that this game comes packed with everything because they didn't read the site and blindly downloaded, or how often I am being a dipwad?
User avatar
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master
Posts: 9205
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Beaverton, Oregon USA

Post by Duper » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:49 pm

no, you are correct. Here and on the Dxx site, there have been a number of folks that think that it's the entire game. XL gets the same thing. I'm not saying Tons but there have been what..8 since oh.. summer of last year? perhaps a few more.

no worries. I posted that mostly to spark inspiration in those that might be able to throw a label up or something. ;)
Post Reply