If HighOctane started vending computer system upgrade ...

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

If HighOctane started vending computer system upgrade packages,computers, and laptops would you be interested in buying them?

Yes - Upgrade Kit
21%
Yes - Computer System
6%
Yes - Laptop
3%
Yes - Combo
3%
No
68%

Total votes: 34
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

If HighOctane started vending computer system upgrade ...

Post by KoolBear »

If HighOctane started vending computer system upgrade packages,computers, and laptops would you be interested in buying them?

*Average Upgrade Price $100 - $200,
Average Computer System Price $600 - $1000,
Average Laptop Price $1200 - $1800.

After you vote please take a moment to post your location example....

TEXAS

Please remember that this does not obligate you.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I voted NO because I could most likely find the parts somewhere else for cheaper.

CALIFORNIA
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

I voted no, even though I think it is a good idea, because I'm planning on using a Mac for it, and I'm sure you aren't talking about them.

BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Nope, I'm too picky about my components :P

OR
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by zbriggs »

Xamindar wrote:I voted NO because I could most likely find the parts somewhere else for cheaper.

CALIFORNIA
I highly doubt that. The video card (Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 16x PCI Express) and memory (1GB DDR) combo kit is only $150.
Shadowfury333 wrote:I voted no, even though I think it is a good idea, because I'm planning on using a Mac for it, and I'm sure you aren't talking about them.

BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA
Actually Macs would be an option too. I we use some of them internally.

Please keep in mind this is a meaure of interest.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

zbriggs wrote: I highly doubt that. The video card (Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 16x PCI Express) and memory (1GB DDR) combo kit is only $150.
Oh really? That is pretty good. Can I order one now?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Maybe. We aren't set up for it yet. How many did you want?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Just one, for my gaming computer. When the game gets more close to being done I will try to get my friends in on it.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

I would wait. The problem is that we are not set up for vending yet. We will have to bring things in at bulk and if you only want one, no offense but we will be loosing our ***. However, if the poll turns out good we may start vending as soon as June as long as we have clearence.

Based on this information does anyone want to change their vote? :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ontario CANADA

But I buy all my stuff local an I get super deals on them through my work.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Not to be mean but you should ask your local sources and work what that combo would cost. I think it's retail value is marked at $250 or $300.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

zbriggs wrote:Not to be mean but you should ask your local sources and work what that combo would cost. I think it's retail value is marked at $250 or $300.
Ok zbriggs, not to be mean, but you always sound very cocky in your posts. A cocky programmer is a good thing :wink: , but bad for most everything else.

This is how it is for me: If the price is right, then I will be glad to buy upgraded hardware from you with the game. And it seems very likely that the price will be good.

If not, then I can simply upgrade on my own like I have always done.

So I guess I change my vote to an "It depends".
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I voted No because I build my PC myself, and I think the generally higher tech portion of this community is going to mess up this poll no matter what you do, the sample here is too poor to take any conclusions from it.

Wisconsin
DKnight
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DKnight »

I voted no, but it just depends. Price range has a lot to do with everything. If the prices were cheaper there, then definitely yes.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I voted no simply because I've already upgraded. :)

TENNESSEE

If I were you, I'd post this over on the .com board and PD to get a wider sample base.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'm stuck on a piece of a Dell, so if you were marketing full, powerful systems for good prices, I might consider it. I'm planning on building my next system on my own, but seeing as how I have absolutely no idea how to even get started on that, this might be a much better option. :)

PA
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by zbriggs »

Xamindar wrote:Ok zbriggs, not to be mean, but you always sound very cocky in your posts. A cocky programmer is a good thing :wink: , but bad for most everything else.
That's a good thing. Then I'm good with being cocky. Most people don't realize this but I am actually a programmer. I was put in this position after Ross died until we could fill the slot with someone. Unfortunately, the investors elected that I continue to do this job after a few success. I don't actually enjoy this job and feel that it is a waste of my true talent.

On the same note, it is quite cocky for someone to assume that we would release crappy products that don't reach their quality standards or products that don't beat competition price wise. Let's not forget that we are a company that surrounds itself with only quality development. I personally re-ran a DS1 a half mile because I felt the phone company didn't use a proper quality of cable.

The fact of the matter is that people made assumptions that the packages wouldn't meet their expectations and voted before speaking their mind and allowing us to address the issues. The purpose of the packages is to allow people an affordable oppertunity to meet the Core Decision specs. It wouldn't make sense to sell them junk or sell them something that costs a great deal. The packages are pretty much sold at cost.

The only other irritation here is that voting no because you already upgraded screws up the poll. The poll was a measure of interest not an evaluation of your current system specs.

I won't even buy systems from Dell, HP, or Gateway because they don't not spit about building a game system.

Our goal isn't to make an additional buck, become a system manufacture, or to increase market penitration, it's to assist our customers in meeting the requires when they might find them steep.

Zach
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Yes, it is a possibility.

Tacoma Wa.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Apart from the fact that shipping costs to NZ are going to be ridiculous, it looks like it wouldn't matter much to me; only difference between that and my system is a 6800GT instead of 6600GT, and DDR3 memory instead of DDR2...
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Texas

Yes, I would certainly consider an upgrade kit. I would also be comparing prices and looking to see if I could upgrade more cheaply locally, but if CD offered a good enough price, and since obviously they would know what went best with their game, I would consider it.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by zbriggs »

Sirius wrote:Apart from the fact that shipping costs to NZ are going to be ridiculous, it looks like it wouldn't matter much to me; only difference between that and my system is a 6800GT instead of 6600GT, and DDR3 memory instead of DDR2...
Yes, you're probably good to go.
Einsiedler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Einsiedler »

I would be happy if there's a bundle consisting of the game and a good grafics-card (at a good price).

@Zach:
Will there be such kits in europe too (without high shipping prices destroying the good cost/performance ratio???

Austria
Intelligence on earth is constant, the population grows
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

New Mexico
Yes, if the price is right.
Einsiedler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Einsiedler »

@Zach:
Why don't you post these two polls on \"coredecision.highoctane.biz\" too? The forum there could need something new! :roll:
Intelligence on earth is constant, the population grows
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

I'm going to say no. Only because the computer I'm running now is fast enough for the game.

Illinois
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by zbriggs »

Einsiedler wrote:I would be happy if there's a bundle consisting of the game and a good grafics-card (at a good price).

@Zach:
Will there be such kits in europe too (without high shipping prices destroying the good cost/performance ratio???

Austria
Most likely, we would just have to utilize our manufacture's facilities in that area.
TigerRaptorFX wrote:I'm going to say no. Only because the computer I'm running now is fast enough for the game.

Illinois
Once again this is not the proper way to vote. You would have to assume your system doesn't meet spec. If you vote no because you are already there that throws off the purpose of the poll.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by De Rigueur »

zbriggs wrote:The video card (Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 16x PCI Express) and memory (1GB DDR) combo kit is only $150.
OK, the combo is a vid card and ram. What's an upgrade kit?

To answer your question, Sure, I'd be interested -- espcecially if the game were bundled with the hardware.

Mississippi
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Where did the laptop and combo options come from? I don't remimber them being there when I voted. By the way, you can't really upgrade a laptop anyway so what's the point?
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

They were three categories,
-Computer Systems
-Laptops
-Upgrade Kits

Zach
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

zbriggs wrote:if the poll turns out good we may start vending as soon as June as long as we have clearence.
So what's the status of the upgrade kits -- delayed till next year?
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Yes if the package contained more recent reasonable hardware specs for a good price.

I would have to buy a new motherboard for them but thats ok, I am waiting till my comp craps out before I upgrade, I'm still running on pre 2003 components.

FL
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

I voted \"No\" mainly because there is no \"it depends\" option.
I can't truthfully answer \"yes\" when the actual pricing is a major variable.
Even though you say that your prices will be low, it still stands to reason that some of us have access to the same deal through someone we know and we all know that familiarity is a major selling point. :)

anywho, I'd gladly change to \"it depends\" if the option arose.

just my 1/3 cent. -Hat

Orygun
Einsiedler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Einsiedler »

@zach: Anything new regarding this?
What's the status of the upgrade kits?

I would welcome a graphics-card which is also capable of Full-HD-Playback and has an HDMI-Port. As the first generation of \"HDready-cards\" was sucking (I heared that), I hope the newer cards will be better. I would be happy seeing a card as cheap as possible but with these qualities in an upgrade kit, even if this card exceeds your requirements. People want to be futureproof...
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

I did just upgrade but I would be interested in purchasing another computer to trick myfriends into getting down with Core Decision.