Geocore

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Geocore

Post by psionik »

Core Decision is now known as GEOCORE.

I spoke to a guy today about taking over the code duties and he agreed. Everyone PRAY. I have been hard at work getting accustomed to the new engine as well.

http://roboanarchy.com/images/geocore1.jpg
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

How many names changes will happen before it comes out?

Good luck BTW

EDIT: Have you not found a publisher to help with finances for this?
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

get it put on steam man, thats the way to go
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Again, I've said it before, if we get GC, then we have icing for our cake, if it doesn't come to bear, we have D3. That isn't to say I don't want this to come out :P
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

The problem is, D3 sucks.

*runs from the fireworks*
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by AlphaDoG »

Sirius wrote:The problem is, D3 sucks.

*runs from the fireworks*

LMAO!
It's never good to wake up in the shrubs naked, you either got way too drunk, or your azz is a werewolf.

psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

CDN_Merlin wrote:How many names changes will happen before it comes out?

Good luck BTW

EDIT: Have you not found a publisher to help with finances for this?
I dunno mer, how many times has the name changed? :]

We actually have a publisher but they do not pay for production. We do not have funding of any kind as of yet.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Doesn't a publisher normally give some funding for the project and get it back after the game sells?

Sounds like the way you are going it will be another Dune Nukem Forever fiasco.
Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Theftbot »

Is it going to have bump mapping-id like to bump them ships :P and the terrain
Neptin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Neptin »

Looks forward
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Why the name change?

Post by Deathwinger »

GEOCORE? Why the name change?
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Doesn't a publisher normally give some funding for the project and get it back after the game sells?

Sounds like the way you are going it will be another Dune Nukem Forever fiasco.
cough

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Yeah thats the way normal publishers work but since we don't even have a demo to shop around to normal publishers, we don't get a normal publisher. Our publisher is distro only and will only cover that aspect of it. Development is our problem. All we need at this point is a way to motivate some coders to work on this thing (i.e. money).
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

I am actually going to start taking lessons from Grendel on coding and eventually even live up to my promise of doing the whole thing myself if i have to.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

So you will design, code and make a game like Core D by yourself?
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Heh, no.
ImageImage
xyon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by xyon »

I am just lurking around the community after years of being away and saw this thread. Please forgive me if what I ask has been covered previously.

Is making money on this new game your primary goal or is your goal to breath life back into the community (or possibly both)? If you are looking exclusively to jump-start the community (without trying to get rich), why not open-source the code, license it under the latest GPL, and take advantage of talents abroad? This (IMO) may alleviate some hurdles it sounds like you are encountering.

Perhaps, after the game itself is released (perhaps as early as beta), you can design mod-packs/etc that cost and charge for support.

But if this game is geared towards making money, I'd recommend a new strategy. You're really going to need some capital up front to get this ball rolling fast enough to beat the next gaming era.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert, just a fellow entrepreneur.
Deathwinger
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Strategy

Post by Deathwinger »

You guys need to at least have a working demo or even a preview trailer of the game if you want rich people to invest in it.

Remember, sell the sizzle.

However, in the meantime, why not take out a small business loan or grant or any business development program money and pay the persons who are most crucial to the development of the project (aka programmers)? Your gonna cover your cost when the game sells right?

Also, negotiate with the publisher for a higher percentage of profit within the first few months in order to pay back loans and debts you will incur.
jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by jshaner »

I have a great interest in Geocore (previously CD). I think that it looks like it has a great potential. It is kind of demoralizing though that there is barely anything out after how many years now, and to top it off the forums have been temporarily shut down. I would REALLY like to see this game come out, but... things just take so long.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Why didn't you just take an existing engine like Source and make a mod out of it? Prove your concept as a mod first, then worry about \"investors\" and \"publishers\" and rolling your own engine from scratch.

No sane person would invest in a bunch of still renders. You are a small time development group. Before you go in with dollar signs in your eyes, make sure you have something worth selling.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WillyP »

Someone I used to know always said \"you can't sell a can of peas unless you have a can\" :wink:
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by BUBBALOU »

Kyouryuu wrote:Why didn't you just take an existing engine like Source and make a mod out of it? Prove your concept as a mod first, then worry about "investors" and "publishers" and rolling your own engine from scratch.

No sane person would invest in a bunch of still renders. You are a small time development group. Before you go in with dollar signs in your eyes, make sure you have something worth selling.
My thoughts EXACTLY! 2 years of 3 screenshots is something no one will get excited over

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.
Gekko71
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Gekko71 »

BUBBALOU wrote:My thoughts EXACTLY! 2 years of 3 screenshots is something no one will get excited over
...it's not two years Bubba, it's six. IIRC, CD/Geocore has been in development since 2002.

viewtopic.phpt=2677&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I didn't want to be exact and to the day

But if you say so so that is 1 screen shot for every 2 years!

jshaner
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by jshaner »

BUBBALOU wrote:I didn't want to be exact and to the day

Wow.

What is the hangup? Funding? Staff?
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

jshaner wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:I didn't want to be exact and to the day

Wow.

What is the hangup? Funding? Staff?
*sigh*

go back and read through the treads that are on this page and you will see.

or even THIS thread. It's been mentioned too many times to count... or repeat.
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JRock »

Money talks, as the saying goes. :)
Einsiedler
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Einsiedler »

xyon wrote:
\"Is making money on this new game your primary goal or is your goal to breath life back into the community (or possibly both)? If you are looking exclusively to jump-start the community (without trying to get rich), why not open-source the code, license it under the latest GPL, and take advantage of talents abroad? This (IMO) may alleviate some hurdles it sounds like you are encountering.

Perhaps, after the game itself is released (perhaps as early as beta), you can design mod-packs/etc that cost and charge for support.

But if this game is geared towards making money, I'd recommend a new strategy. You're really going to need some capital up front to get this ball rolling fast enough to beat the next gaming era.\"

:arrow:
These questions are still unanswered, even though very interesting! Any answer, psionik???
:? :? :?
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

First of all, Bubbalou, once again I have to take time to correct you. The shots I have posted labelled Geocore are not still renders, they are in game shots. Please do not assume you know things when you do not. The reason all you get is screenshots is because there is nothing else to show.

Everything is and has been ready to move forward other than the simple fact that this game cannot be made without dedicated code workers. Everytime someone says they will do it they do just enough to keep us believing they're interested and then they peter out. I am not able to take out any kind of loan. I have stated that I will try to learn the script to get a module together but it is very difficult for me and will take a very long time. I want very much to be making this title but I have no faith in other people anymore. I figure money would make people do what we need but even then we could spend it on them and then they could still flake out and screw us over and then we would be out even more money.

Interesting how people still talk crap about this project but noone offers to help.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Grendel wrote:Heh, no.
I find that slightly insulting as you're basically calling me a liar. Do not judge others by your own abilities. If this project takes me 20 years I don't care.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Kyouryuu »

psionik wrote:First of all, Bubbalou, once again I have to take time to correct you. The shots I have posted labelled Geocore are not still renders, they are in game shots.
Doesn't really matter. They don't look that great either way.
psionik wrote:Interesting how people still talk crap about this project but noone offers to help.
It's hard to attract help when all you have to go on is a screenshot and a project leader spouting off about a 20-year program. Help doesn't just magically come your way because you stamp your feet and click your heels. You have to prove yourself to get it.

Beyond that, you have to admit that your project is overly ambitious and doomed to fail on its current course. If you aren't a gloryhound, then make some maps for D2 or D3, why don't you? Start small and built up some credibility. Then ask for the help. Those who "talk crap" are the ones who just might help if you didn't get all defensive and hot under the collar at them. It would serve you well to not piss them off.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

psionik wrote:
I find that slightly insulting as you're basically calling me a liar. Do not judge others by your own abilities. If this project takes me 20 years I don't care.
That was refering to that you're not alone.
ImageImage
floppyfreak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by floppyfreak »

Kyouryuu wrote:
Beyond that, you have to admit that your project is overly ambitious and doomed to fail on its current course. If you aren't a gloryhound, then make some maps for D2 or D3, why don't you? Start small and built up some credibility. Then ask for the help. Those who "talk crap" are the ones who just might help if you didn't get all defensive and hot under the collar at them. It would serve you well to not piss them off.
sound words. The pr of this project dosn't show very social behaviour. sigh.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Kyouryuu wrote:If you aren't a gloryhound, then make some maps for D2 or D3, why don't you?
Obviously you didn't even bother to look to see if I had made any levels before posting this. Very unlikely that I am going to care about anything you write. Sound words? They aren't even true. Don't try to tell me who is going to help and who isn't. Its soooo easy to sit behind your screen typing trash at me isn't it, just because I have no game to show you. If I had a game you would all be on my jock to get in the beta but I don't so you lash out.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Grendel wrote:
psionik wrote:
That was refering to that you're not alone.
Sorry, I misunderstood. :P
I thought you had forsaken me.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by psionik »

Also, please stop posting derogatory crap about me, this project, or anything else you trolls decide to latch onto and bloodsuck for your own egos. I grow tired of attempting to pull your minds back into the realm of reality.

20 year program? Saying I will complete something if it takes 20 years does not mean I have a 20 year plan in place.

YOU MADE THAT UP

Nothing but still renders and screenshots? What about the movies of me flying around in Resination? What about the movie of me flying around in the Portal level? What about the movie of the ship firing a missile and the chainguns spinning when you click? What about the folder of 616 models for the game I have on my drive? Oh wait I am talking to people who dont realize that

THEY MADE THAT UP

I need to make some levels and get established in the community? I've been playing Descent and making levels for it since Kali Dos. I have created over 20 levels for descent. I have kept this project alive despite all the setbacks and roadblocks and will continue to keep it alive and I am well known by face and real name to the best players in the old and new communities soooo

YOU MADE THAT UP TOO

I could go on but I proved my point. Funny how all these people whos names I don't know show up and tell me things about descent. Most of you are noobs talking way bigger than you should be.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

floppyfreak wrote:
Kyouryuu wrote:
sound words. The pr of this project dosn't show very social behaviour. sigh.
What a crock of shite. The whole paragraph is assumptions. I "have to admit"?? that something he has no idea what the scope of nor any of the inner workings are is "overly ambitious" and he somehow knows that all the ★■◆● talkers are the very people who want to help me... amazing... Also I am being defensive because I am defending myself against a slew of lies and generalizations... oh no... we can't have anyone defending themselves even if its against a bunch of lies and slander!

Do not ever bother typing anything about me or this project again Kyouryuu without doing some serious self evaluation. Anyone else wanna step up to the rumour plate? I'll slap you down too. I'll slap down every lie and every disillusioned fool that steps in my way.

No wonder you guys see me as a jerk, you force me to act like one and blindly ignore the fact that I am simply working with what YOU give me.
psionik
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by psionik »

Kyouryuu wrote:
psionik wrote:First of all, Bubbalou, once again I have to take time to correct you. The shots I have posted labelled Geocore are not still renders, they are in game shots.
Doesn't really matter. They don't look that great either way.
Whee
Way to be an outright jerk. I think by the looks of your avatar and the way you talk that I am probably dealing with a child so don't expect me to honor your words with responses any more. Obviously you are just a little brat who's antics no real man would do anything but laugh at fondly as they remembered the days when they were young arrogant idiots just like you.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Gotta love the pop shots from the peanut gallery! :roll:

From what I saw at the [RG]Lan I am still excited by what this project can become. Considering there are only two people with full time jobs and real lives to deal with, I think what they have is pretty damn good.

I can tell you from conversations I've had with psi, that this is more of a labour of love than a potential money project. Not to say he wouldn't welcome a wad of cash dropped in his lap(who wouldn't?),But from what i have taken from our visits he is more interested in continueing the 6 DOF fun the Descent games have provided for us.

Psi, don't let these people deter you from your enthusiasm! Keep on plugging!
Looking forward to seeing some more of Gc at the next LAN.
-Greg