A?

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Theftbot
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

A?

Post by Theftbot »

Could IC be adapted for q4(quake 4)
Narfig_Agar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Narfig_Agar »

Sure, but it's a ton of work. There are some fundemental differences between modding Q4 and D3 even though it's basically the same engine. We're not sure there would be much benefit.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Joystick support ? Broken in Dm3.
ImageImage
Narfig_Agar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Narfig_Agar »

Native joystick support is still broken in Q4 from what I understand. It's supposed to work in QW:ET but folks are still having lots of trouble with it.

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake4/FAQ_Joystick.htm
http://community.enemyterritory.com/for ... #post55937
Narfig_Agar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Narfig_Agar »

Just to add, the other reason it makes sense to stay with Doom 3 is that it will be open source \"soon\". That might open up a whole lot of things.

This is long, but around 20:28 John Carmack tells us Doom 3 will be open source.
http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2519
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by JRock »

What about a more recent game that more people actually own but that has the tools for making a total conversion? I think Crysis would be the most recent FPS game to come with a full suite of modding tools, etc.
Narfig_Agar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Narfig_Agar »

To be honest, I'm not sure IC would really benefit from the latest greatest uber graphics. I'm confident the install base of Doom3 is an order of magnitude greater than Crysis (plus those that can actually run Crysis). As well, the whole Open Source thing noted above will really help us (or help Hexetic as the case may be). I expect by the time IC is finished, you won't have to buy Doom3 to play it.

Finally, we're not about to throw out five years of work to change to a shiny new engine.

BTW. If anyone has noticed, our site is down due to our stoopid hosting service....don't worry, it's just temporary.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

JRock: i say it again: using a directx or anything proprietary bound engine would lock out linux, mac os or whatever users, which would be just plain stupid. if you want a wide audience, you go with cross platform interfaces. no matter how good the engine is, if it forces you to a single OS, it's useless. (in this genre, at least)
JRock
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by JRock »

Narfig_Agar wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure IC would really benefit from the latest greatest uber graphics.
Oh I wasn't talking about graphics. I think the screenshots in the other thread look totally awesome. I was more thinking about the tools available for modding, but you're right, cross-platform and open-source are indeed more important.