Ballmen: A Source Mod

Dedicated to 6DoF MODs and or Game efforts. If you know of one please post them here.

Moderators: fliptw, roid, CUDA

Mr. Necktie
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Ballmen: A Source Mod

Post by Mr. Necktie »

Ballmen is a newly announced and released Beta Modification for the Source Engine. Weighing in at 14.6 Megs, this mod allows you to walk almost everywhere on the level, seamlessly. While not true 360 DoF, this mod captures the spirit of Descent without a pyro.

http://www.bmenmod.com/

Under the \"Media\" section is a YouTube video of the mod in action with some interesting wall stunts. Well worth a watch.

-Mr. Necktie
All strategies and tactics are engaged. Omniperceptive; they see players and objects even without line of sight. Highest level of accuracy, ranging less than 1° off target.
-\"Godlike\" Difficulty in Unreal Tournament 2004
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Two Questions:
1. When will you get Pyros into it?
2. Does it have joystick support for said Pyros?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

d3jake wrote:Two Questions:
1. When will you get Pyros into it?
2. Does it have joystick support for said Pyros?
Did you watch the video?
This MOD is a ground pounder type of game. You are able to walk & jump to all sides of walls.
Adding pryos wouldn't work for this MOD.

As far as joystick support.
I haven't installed this MOD yet, but the Source engine has joystick support.
So I'm thinking this MOD has it.

BTW - Mr. Necktie, nice work! Looks great and I'm looking forward to trying this MOD. :D
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

Yes I did watch the video. But I figure if they have that kind of movement seemingly working correctly, it would just be another step to remove the certainty of an orentation, and gravity, and then make the player a ship instead of some person flying in mid air.
Mr. Necktie
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Mr. Necktie »

Sorry, but I can't take the credits for this. I'm not that great at making mods for Source...simple stuff, really. I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like this.

I'm currently working out the theory for a UT2004 mod similar to this, but with simpler controls (no need for a switchSurface button, just walk anywhere, like right up a cliff or under CTF-Face).
I'm very well-versed in how to do this sort of thing, but actually doing it is a whole new ballgame.

Still, Ballmen is a great Source mod. I'm eager to try a few CS:S maps out with this. :D

-Mr. Necktie

As I wrote this, I realized that a Pyro mod wouldn't be too tough in Unreal Engine 2.5...the \"Raptor\" air vehicle just needs maximum friction and a \"wiggle ship\" function.
After that, it'd just be a matter of adding in a few more classes and sub-classes to clone it for the different weapon loadouts. Simple cube chains for maps can take it from there. Another thing I need to work on. :P
All strategies and tactics are engaged. Omniperceptive; they see players and objects even without line of sight. Highest level of accuracy, ranging less than 1° off target.
-\"Godlike\" Difficulty in Unreal Tournament 2004
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Cool.
Well keep us informed on the progress of you work. I'd love to try them out when you're done. ;)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Aus-RED-5 wrote:As far as joystick support.
I haven't installed this MOD yet, but the Source engine has joystick support.
So I'm thinking this MOD has it.
Source only provides you w/ the joystick API. You'll have to code the support into the mod. Even w/o seeing it it yet, most likely this mod doesn't have stick support.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Looks kind of fun. The characters remind me of Vectorman. :)